Well, Honey, while the loader is here.

This is a discussion on Well, Honey, while the loader is here. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I decided to have a few acres of trees cut and the land cleared. I asked my wife, "Honey, while the loader is here, do ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 11 Post By oldskeetshooter
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By oldskeetshooter
  • 1 Post By welder516
  • 1 Post By oldskeetshooter
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Well, Honey, while the loader is here.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

Well, Honey, while the loader is here.

I decided to have a few acres of trees cut and the land cleared. I asked my wife, "Honey, while the loader is here, do you think it would be a good idea to make a 200 yard shooting range"? I had a my "Justifying" comebacks ready, just in case. Such as, "Hey, We won't have to drive to the club to shoot rifles anymore". I soon discovered that the hour spent, thinking of justifying comebacks, was wasted. She immediately responded "A 200 yard range, in the back yard? Sounds like a great idea".

range_web.jpg

It is far from being finished but I decided to take some photos. As you can see, the foliage on the sides very thick with pines and hardwoods to 100 yards. Then it opens up to a hardwood "bottom". The small stick, with the white tape, in the foreground is 25 yards. You may be able to notice a slight berm, with a dark tree on the left, at 100 yards. The 2 lighter colored trees, behind the berm, is 125 yards. Between those 2 lighter colored trees, you can see a darker tree at 200 yards. I am sure that the 4 wheeler will get a workout when shooting 200 yards as this is on the other side of a creek. This also gives me a good avenue for picking off coyotes at up to 300 yards.

BTW: You can see that the land rises at the end of the range, giving a good, safe place for the bullets to impact. The closest house, from end of the range, is about 1 mile away through densely growing hardwoods.
    DingBat, Sister, Tzadik and 8 others like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

2. Remove Ads

I dunno, 200 yards seems a long way to shoot skeet... but, whatever floats yer boat.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Statement of a jealous man
    Sister likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    Just use slugs and lead um' some more....
    archer51 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Neat! Are you going to construct any additional berms for target backing, or will you just use the existing terrain?

VIP Member
    I can't put a Dart Board in my back yard , darts may hit the siding of the neighbors house .
    Sister likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Neat! Are you going to construct any additional berms for target backing, or will you just use the existing terrain?
    I will have to check after we get it leveled. The land has quite a rise after 175 yards. There is about a 40% grade between 200 and 250 yards. I would have to shoot about 50 feet high at 200 yards to miss "dirt". I may add a taller berm at 100 yards to make it easier to recover the lead. I am not going "green". I am Scottish and very frugal. I cast my own.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Nice! Just remember that sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    So when is the DC range christening party scheduled for?
    Sister likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That's going to be nice to have, congratulations. maybe one day when I grow up I'll get to have something like that. I'm jealous
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Looks like a good idea. 200 is a real nice size rifle range to work with.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Sweet! I am very jealous.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

You lucky puppy.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Real nice, glad you thought of it!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Links