US Marshal kills defendant who attacked another in the courtroom

This is a discussion on US Marshal kills defendant who attacked another in the courtroom within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Marshal kills Utah gang defendant who rushed court witness, feds say - CNN.com Quote from the comments "What has this world come to?!? You can't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: US Marshal kills defendant who attacked another in the courtroom

Marshal kills Utah gang defendant who rushed court witness, feds say - CNN.com

Quote from the comments "What has this world come to?!? You can't even assault someone in court, in front of a judge AND jury with your attorney by your side, without some trigger-happy guy with a badge taking you out with a few rounds." /sarc
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Fine shooting. Several rounds fired, no bystanders injured.
    atctimmy and gottabkiddin like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    I am very ok with this , the Pen is Mightier then the Sword
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Im not sure the marshal was in the right here . The defendent had to have been unarmed and there had to have been multiple officers there to hold this dude down. It would be different if it was one on one and there wasn't a room full of people sure he had training but im not sure he should have shot the guy, did nobody have a taser. Without a video of the shooting i cant make a definitive call but it sounds like the marshal had other options without endangering a room full of people.

VIP Member
    The Gangsta charged the stand with a pen .....................that is a deadly weapon in my world , you could plunge that into someones throat and kill them .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    Im not sure the marshal was in the right here . The defendent had to have been unarmed and there had to have been multiple officers there to hold this dude down. It would be different if it was one on one and there wasn't a room full of people sure he had training but im not sure he should have shot the guy, did nobody have a taser. Without a video of the shooting i cant make a definitive call but it sounds like the marshal had other options without endangering a room full of people.
    Too late; too bad. Case closed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Couldn't have turned out better IMO.

From the article:

"Campbell declared a mistrial, noting the shooting happened in front of jury members, who were "visibly shaken and upset."

"The court finds that this occurrence in the courtroom would so prejudice Mr. Angilau as to deprive him of a fair trial," Campbell wrote."

I think you can file this under "Moot Point".
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    According to the release, he armed himself with a pen on his way to the guy he was trying to attack. In the hand of a skilled assailant, a pen is quite lethal.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    According to the release, he armed himself with a pen on his way to the guy he was trying to attack. In the hand of a skilled assailant, a pen is quite lethal.
    Upon re-reading the article, i missed the part about the pen. So the fact that the marshal was able to identify that this guy had picked up a weapon and was going for the kill shows just how well he knows what he is doing. Good on the marshal for doing what needed to be done. Even in unskilled hands a pen can do a lot of damage even if he is just stabbing wildly at somebody.

I have never been in this Federal courthouse, it is almost brand new and this was the first trial in this new building; however, I spend most of my working hours in Federal courts. If you have ever sat at the witness stand, you know that you are blocked in on 3 sides with very little room. Big men sometimes have a hard time getting in the seat comfortably. The witness had nowhere to go and was not in a position to defend himself.

From what I read, the defendant was a Tongan Crip, 6'4" 260 lbs. Not someone you would want to take on H to H. I think the Marshal did the right thing.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I would have declared a mistrial due to the defendant's assumption of room temperature...
    Aceoky and lionround like this.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
    Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Good shoot. Taxpayers save money on this one....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Such as?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    One thing is for sure, the marshall can definately shoot better that the NYC cops. Not one bystander was hurt during this incident.
    OldVet, NewportReds and lionround like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The report I saw stated that the defendant had a pen that he tried to use to stab the witness. Having worked security at a federal courthouse, most of the time there is only one Deputy Marshal or Special Deputy Marshal actually in the courtroom even though there may be more in the building. There was only one case in the courthouse I worked where there were more than one Marshal in the courtroom. That was a drug kingpin case. They even brought Deputy Marshals from out of state to assist. I did entrance security for the courthouse building but during this case was backed up by a Deputy Marshal from New York. Of course things could have changed since then considering that was around 1992.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links