Bundy's comments.

This is a discussion on Bundy's comments. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That rancher Clive Bundy made some comments that are being touted as uber racist. It's funny to watch the politicians, and phony supporters scramble to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Bundy's comments.

Bundy's comments.

That rancher Clive Bundy made some comments that are being touted as uber racist. It's funny to watch the politicians, and phony supporters scramble to put distance between them and him.

What exactly did Mt Bundy say? I never heard him suggest that black people should be returned to slavery. He compared the results of nanny government on the black community and the decline of same as a result of government intervention in their lives, to the quality of life within the black community under slavery. I for one think it is a valid comparrison. Both situations are horrible and morally wrong... But what was worse?

Mr Bundy is simply saying something that IMO needs to be said. I believe the point he's making is that the black community is a glaring example of government intervention gone wrong. Horribly wrong.
    virg, Mike1956, Badey and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

IBTL
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    He has his First Amendment rights also. We have the right to ignore old Civil War mentality also. People say stupid stuff all the time--mostly in the political arena.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The problem with making off the cuff comments is that lots of times they come out wrong...not really meaning the way they come across. When you make a point using an analogy, especially when it's concerning something so emotionally charged as race, you better think and rethink your words before you say them.

I understand the point he was trying to make but that's not what's being reported. He will now be flayed and roasted alive by the media who gleefully pounce on anything they can if it makes a Conservative look bad.

My uber Liberal cousin posted a diatribe on FB last night about this and how Bundy is representative of the conservative party and what evil racists lurk within.

So, I expect the whole Bundy campaign for land grazing rights will fall apart because the focus is now on race. The media has found their bone and aren't about to let it go.
    Aceoky, WHEC724, CWOUSCG and 7 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Everything he said was true. Ride by a govt housing project and you can see that they have nothing to do but sit on the porch and drink beer and listen to "rap". They are truely slaves to the govt.. What happened back in the slave days was very wrong, but at least they had meaning to their lives. They lived as a family and had a purpose to their lives. Now days they kill each other, dont need to work, most of the men are in jail, the kids dont know who their daddy is... So, are they better off today?? I dont think so. I think Bundy told it like it is, too bad the "politically correct" are too scared to say it.
    herpjunkie and Geezer like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    That rancher Clive Bundy made some comments that are being touted as uber racist. It's funny to watch the politicians, and phony supporters scramble to put distance between them and him.

What exactly did Mt Bundy say? I never heard him suggest that black people should be returned to slavery. He compared the results of nanny government on the black community and the decline of same as a result of government intervention in their lives, to the quality of life within the black community under slavery. I for one think it is a valid comparrison. Both situations are horrible and morally wrong... But what was worse?

Mr Bundy is simply saying something that IMO needs to be said. I believe the point he's making is that the black community is a glaring example of government intervention gone wrong. Horribly wrong.
    Great topic, great points. There are, however a few topics which simply cannot be discussed publicly without drawing wrath, regardless of legitimacy or veracity. This is one of them. Yesterday on CBS, an interviewer tried to force Rick Perry to repudiate Bundy's remarks. He flatly refused to take the bait.

VIP Member
    Being a slave is not "better" no matter how you look at it. The black family, pre 1960's when Johnson instituted the welfare state, was a strong, faith based, Matriarchal unit. Mostly it was 2 parents and pretty well behaved kids. At least that's what I remember from the ones I knew and knew of.

The government welfare programs have systematically destroyed that, and many, many white families too. But, saying that out loud automatically makes you a "racist", so what's the point of telling the truth?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The major error of the welfare program was the housing effort, because it tended to make welfare housing regions. Lots of welfare has been quite successful, but making 'welfare communities' causes damage. There was no real way to know that at the time, but it was still a mistake in the social experiment. It's what needs to be avoided. I hope Utah knows this, with their recent housing push.

The problem, of course, is implicit (subconscious) racism. People notice when 'they' screw up with their welfare benefits, but are nigh-blind to the welfare 'we' receive.

I mean, it's only been a few generations. These are inter-generational problems.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Sadly, I think it would take several hundred years of inter-racial marriage for the uber-race-sensitivity to finally go away.

It really is a sad reflection on us as a society to get so bound up over race.

I believe he was trying to put forth a question to encourage discussion, and was trying to make a comparison between slavery and the current state of government welfare and the dependents it creates.

Unfortunately (for him) he used language and examples that would cause people to feel negatively toward him, rather than endear people to him and the point he was trying to convey.

To me, it is obvious that no matter how dependent on the government you are it is an absolutely, undeniably superior position to be in than slavery. I do not think there is any remote similarity.

However, someone else felt differently and phrased the suggested comparison poorly in a public arena, and now they will suffer the consequences.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post

This. When people stop being honest with each other and good honest dialogue stops is when the "other side" has won. That is exactly what the over sensitive types try to do every time something like this comes up. I'm actually kinda surprised at least one member hasn't swooped in the this crying "racist" because the thread very loosely deals with race. For those still wondering, no, this thread isn't about race. Its about government intervention gone wrong; the example given happens to be minority group that has been pigeon holed by feel good government intervention for decades.
    CWOUSCG, Mike1956, Aceoky and 4 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is the problem (define problem in your own way LOL) about his comments:
    I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro
    Whether folks agree or disagree about governmet housing, welfare...et al. Mr Bundy singled out a race and not the problem. He then went on to tell a story about an example he saw. You can't take words back and try to say this is what you meant. He was specifically talking about the "Negro".

That can understandably by some be considered racsist. If he used the example of what he saw in Lass Vegas as an example of welfare as a whole relating to all demographics then he would be OK.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    .....My uber Liberal cousin posted a diatribe on FB last night about this and how Bundy is representative of the conservative party and what evil racists lurk within. .....
    I have a Uber Lib brother.. so I understand your pain .. Funny part is all this "The Right is full of prejudice people" look at the Dems historically and how many Southern Dem Gentlemen were affiliated with the KKK
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This is the problem (define problem in your own way LOL) about his comments:

Whether folks agree or disagree about governmet housing, welfare...et al. Mr Bundy singled out a race and not the problem. He then went on to tell a story about an example he saw. You can't take words back and try to say this is what you meant. He was specifically talking about the "Negro".

That can understandably by some be considered racsist. If he used the example of what he saw in Lass Vegas as an example of welfare as a whole relating to all demographics then he would be OK.

Thats what I mean suntzu. The term negroid is a correct anthropological term. It just happens to be not in fashion at the moment, therefor its deemed "racist", which is just plainly stupid. People wouldn't be up in arms if he used the term caucasian, would they?
    Aceoky, Oldpsufan, virg and 1 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Sadly, I think it would take several hundred years of inter-racial marriage for the uber-race-sensitivity to finally go away.

It really is a sad reflection on us as a society to get so bound up over race.
    While inter-racial marriage will work I really think we will see better relations when the 60's era civil rights folks are gone. Jackson and Sharpton are doing nothing for bettering race relations and are making it worse IMO.

I also think the NAACP needs a better PR firm. What we see on TV does not mirror reality. There are middle class black families that want the same thing as white families, safe places to raise their children, good education, better life and so forth. I know this because I've worked with them for years, but I don't see them on TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links