Last Night.... Sucked.

This is a discussion on Last Night.... Sucked. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thought I'd share my night with ya'll. I saw we were out of milk at about 11:00. I wanted some for breakfast so I started ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Night.... Sucked.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Last Night.... Sucked.

Thought I'd share my night with ya'll.

I saw we were out of milk at about 11:00. I wanted some for breakfast so I started down to the convenience store down the road in Lagro.

About a mile into my trip I hit a deer. It didn't mess my Bravada up badly; just took out a bit of the grill around the right headlight and blew a fog lamp. The bulb just needs replaced.

I called the Sheriff's Dept who responded quickly. The deputy said she could wait while I ran home.

While I ran back to the house to get the pickup for the deer, I heard sirens rush past my house. Hmmmm....

I get back with the truck only to find lady deputy gone. I called the Sheriff's Dept. to find out what was going on. Seems something urgent came up, and I could go back home with the deer but sans registration and driver's license.

Two and a half hours later the lady deputy (a looker) pulls into my driveway. We stood around shooting the **** after getting my permit to possess and license and registration squared away. She apologized, complimented me on several things like how cool I seemed to stay under pressure etc, lots of smiles, and we got on the subject of the call.

Seems the convenience store I was going to experienced an armed robbery right about the time I hit the deer. Seems the deer kept me from being part of it and possibly ending up in a shootout.

Well, it had been about three hours by then and I figured the store should have things squared away, and I still wanted that milk. I had already given up on any sleep that night, so I drove down there.

The store was open, and was doing business. I even asked prior to entering; I stuck my head in. I went in and got my usual cup of coffee (decaff, and this habit was noted on another post: hot coffee in the eyes does not feel good). I was about halfway through when the owner decided he needed to vent on someone. He came out and yelled, "Do you need something!?" I responded that I was finishing the coffee and was going to grab some milk, then go home. He literally screamed that "We don't need you here right now!" I took my coffee and left. I figure I'll let him get over his mad and then I'll remind him of it again maybe a week from now stating, politely, that I can understand why he was mad, but it's not good business to take it out on customers, and though I have respect for small business, I will be taking my business elsewhere and I like to talk.

Anyway, I'm red-eyed and tired, but still have a deer to go get processed quickly as I didn't gut it. I'm too out of practice to try it in the dark.

Interesting night though. I hit a deer in exchange for a firefight. Makes one wonder about God's sense of humor.

And kudos to this fine lady
    <photo removed by Administrator>
    for doing a spectacular job on a busy night. She's one of those who doesn't make you feel "in the way" though the call may be relatively minor.

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Heck, a deer and a dear and not having to shoot someone seams like it wasn't to horrible of a night to me.

(I've told my boss if nothing happens it means I'm doing my job right)
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

*fails to withhold the "she could cuff me anytime" comment...*

Sounds like God was looking after you. I'll take hitting a deer over a gunfight any day!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Yep. Sounds like you had a heck of a night.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Easier to patch up the truck than your liver.

Might be worth it to hit another deer. Maybe Deputy Cutie will come to the rescue again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    We stood around shooting the **** after getting my permit to possess and license and registration squared away. She apologized, complimented me on several things like how cool I seemed to stay under pressure etc, lots of smiles, and we got on the subject of the call.
    So do you have a date with the deputy?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    So do you have a date with the deputy?
    No, no date with the deputy.

I'm freshly out of a long term relationship and am concentrating on writing and college at this point. I'm likely not at a place in my life where a decent woman would want much do to with me on that level, and I respect that because I know it to be true.

Josh <><

Thats too bad, she is a cutie.

I can understand if your not ready, or dont have the time/energy.

But the way the post sounds, it seems there was some chemistry. I wouldnt ever sell myself short, I dont think anyone should. At least ask her out for coffee, maybe she could be at least a good freind.

+1 on gregarat, don't let the oportunity pass up... no firefight and you find good gal, thats worth smashing a deer/the repairs on the vehicle.

+1 again! At least get to know her - you can put the "relationship" stuff off fer a while, IF she understands your circumstances and knows that you are interested. Otherwise, she might get hooked up with somebody else because she thinks that you don't like her.
    Ask her out for lunch, coffee, a day at the range - something! Geeze, you young guys....

Agreed...don't let the opportunity pass up....

I'm looking WAY ahead but that would make a spectacular "how I met your mother" story...
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

DC Founder
    Josh, I am making a mental note to stay out of Indiana. If I had the time I would count up the "close calls" you have had in that neck of the woods.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Josh, I am making a mental note to stay out of Indiana. If I had the time I would count up the "close calls" you have had in that neck of the woods.....
    I was just thinking the same thing....

FWIW, if a female deputy tells you that you stay calm under pressure after hitting a deer , thats a green light for you to ask her out.
    Now that you have included her photo in your story, I'm sure she's going to find you irresistible.

Hey Josh,

What county is she with? I'll email her a link to this thread. Maybe she'll ask YOU out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links