When sports rule go bad.....MLB revereses transfer rule

This is a discussion on When sports rule go bad.....MLB revereses transfer rule within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Totally not gun related but a good example of what happens when somebody messes with something that is not broke, does a knee jerk rule ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: When sports rule go bad.....MLB revereses transfer rule

Totally not gun related but a good example of what happens when somebody messes with something that is not broke, does a knee jerk rule change, and finds out later it was a big mistake. Think: Constitution LOL....if it ain't broke, don't change it. If it needs to be chnaged, think long and hard about it.

Anyhoo, back to baseball:

Four weeks into the season, Major League Baseball has ordered umpires to revert to a common-sense approach when ruling on whether a catch has been made, correcting a problem that had sprung up repeatedly as an unintended consequence of the expanded instant replay system.
    What had happened again and again and again was that if a fielder caught the ball but mishandled it when transferring it to his throwing hand, the umpire called the batter or baserunner in question safe, even if said fielder had taken several steps and clearly established control.

Common sense prevails with transfer rule update | The Strike Zone - SI.com
    Stoveman likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Thank God, that was ridiculous.

I really thought they would wait until next season, pretty rare to see MLB change rules just a few weeks in.

That runner was safe. He was touching the base with his hand.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Watched the Marlins win an out call upon review for much the same thing. The video showed the 3rd baseman never "caught" the ball on the force-out, only bobbled it as he finally stepped away to throw to first. Seemed like the "fair" call after review. It led to their winning also with a walk-off homer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    That runner was safe. He was touching the base with his hand.
    I think you missed the entire point: the runner was out WAAAY before his hand touched the base. This has nothing to do with his hand. For the last 120 years he would have been ruled out. This year, becasue the 2nd baseman dropped the ball during the transfer, he was deemed Safe.

Stupid rule
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think you missed the entire point: the runner was out WAAAY before his hand touched the base. This has nothing to do with his hand. For the last 120 years he would have been ruled out. This year, becasue the 2nd baseman dropped the ball during the transfer, he was deemed Safe.

Stupid rule
    He was waaaay out and it is an absolute joke to call him safe. You are correct about unintended consequences.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    He was waaaay out and it is an absolute joke to call him safe. You are correct about unintended consequences.
    I do not mind rule changes for player safety (helmets ARE a good idea for hockey players). I do not like rule changes that fundamentally reverse the way a sport has been playing for decades. I am still an opponent of instant replay during the regular season for all sports. There are so many calls missed or blown that most folks don't pay much mind to because at the time they seem inconsequential. A blown call on a holding penalty on the first play of the first game in the NFL could cause a chain of events to cause that team to lose the game becuase the field position could now be different resulting in a chain of events that forever changes the field position.
    That is just as important as the blow call with 1 second left that gave a team a victory.

There was a very similar play at 2nd during one of the Red Sox- Yankee games a few days ago; the runner was clearly out, took out the 2nd baseman who bobbled the transfer from the contact, and the runner was called safe.

A terrible, terrible rule change- and I am very glad they changed it back.

Links