2 part farm engineering problem...need help.

This is a discussion on 2 part farm engineering problem...need help. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is my problem, I have two 275 gallon diesel tanks in my basement left over from when we had a diesel fired boiler. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 2 part farm engineering problem...need help.

VIP Member

2 part farm engineering problem...need help.

Here is my problem, I have two 275 gallon diesel tanks in my basement left over from when we had a diesel fired boiler. I want to remove those tanks and use the space they take up.

Problem 1: The tanks still have diesel in them, a lot of it (50 or 60 gallons). I've hand ladled out about 60 gallons of the stuff already and it is back breaking work. The "faucet" is about 4 inches from the floor so I can't fit a 5 gallon can under it. I have to turn on the valve, half fill a coffee can (half fill because it won't fit all the way under), turn off the valve and then pour the can using a funnel into a 5 gallon can.

It takes a long time to fill a 5 gallon can and if I'm doing more than one my back and knees are really cramped up afterwards. Also, by doing it this was I get covered with splashing diesel and my basement and i stink for two days. I need a better way. Some ideas please. A pump maybe?

Problem 2: I have given away hundreds of dollars worth of diesel because I have no way to store it other than 5 gallon cans. I want to stop giving it away and save it for me. I recently re-discovered an old 55 gallon drum in my barn and want to use it as a temporary diesel storage tank.

I cleaned it up but it has a small hole in it about the size of a .22 lr hole near the bottom. How can I seal that hole and make it water tight? Would bondo work and hold up to diesel over time?

Yes I could buy a new drum but they are about $100 and I'd prefer to save that money.

OK fella's what ya got?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Dang, I'd take that diesel from you.

Part two first - the hillbilly way to fix that hole is JB Weld. It'll work.

Part one. Get a siphon with a hand starter pump ($10 or so at the auto parts store, maybe another $5 for some extra tubing). "Right" way would be to get a no kidding hand pump, but that's going to cost you a bunch even if you get it used on Craigslist.
    Tzadik, Sister and Aceoky like this.

1. go to a metal scrap yrd. ask for a 55 gal. drum. most placed sell the metal drum, by weight.
    2. plumb the spigot attach an old electric fuel pump, and pump it to the drum sitting outside.
    An old garden hose and some clamps can get it done on the cheep.

Distinguished Member
    I have seen utility pumps that attach to a drill. They have garden hose fittings and should lift the diesel out of your basement into drums. You could also use it to pump the diesel from the 55 gal. drums into what ever you want to fuel. The pumps are cheap.
    phreddy likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

You could get one of those bulb suction transfer pumps and add a length of tubing to either end so that they could reach deep into your tank. Or you could use a bottle jack some lumber and cinder blocks and jack the tank up about a foot.

1000x1000.jpg
    Sister likes this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    ^^^ that's pretty much my thought. here's a 12v pump that'll do fine.

12V Electric Fuel Pump Diesel Petrol 12 Volt - US$12.99

don't like that one any will do. 12v battery or even a battery charger and, done.

i MAY still have a nice, plastic, 55 gal drum with no holes, i'll give to you, but you gotta pay to ship it. the JB weld will work. Prep the metal, no rust, paint, cut a sheet metal patch to cover, and glue it to whatever side it flattest. course if it does start leaking.... i hate doing that, always nags me.

some junk yards are cool about drums, some aren't...
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Or you could use a bottle jack some lumber and cinder blocks and jack the tank up about a foot.

1000x1000.jpg
    This was what I was thinking about since I posted this. I have plenty of scrap lumber and could jack it up.
    Last edited by atctimmy; April 27th, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Aceoky likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Lots of different pump set ups you can get cheap.

As for the hole, JB weld as someone else stated and there is also a product call splash zone that works extremely well. I've put that over a leaking crack in a diesel tank and sealed it right up.

Distinguished Member
    Do you have an air compressor? I am more into forcing fuels with air than pumping. thread in a hose bib at the bottom of your tank run a garden hose up to your 55 gallon tank and set the regulator on your compressor to ten pounds. You can increase that up to 20 pounds without a lot of worry.

Check with your feed store they usually sell drums for $20.00 in my neck of the woods. Run an ad in your local rag for a red diesel tank and stand. I bought a 450 gallon tank and stand for $120.00 they must have them there.

If you prefer take the wood you have and build a containment around the outlet valve and line it with a piece of plastic or blue tarp. Use a sump pump from harbor freight and a garden hose to pump the fuel to your barrel.

Heating with oil is an expensive proposition. Once you empty the tanks can you build a stand for one of them and make it your red diesel tank?

Keep in touch and let us know what you do.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Match...

What?

Siphon won't work that low. Need a pump and long hoses. A hole about the size of a .22? Humm. Shooting rats again? They sell fuel tank sealer, probably at the local auto parts store. The junk/scrapyard was a good possibility though.
    Sister likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Manolito has a plan. Mine thought was more of a question; Have you got a backhoe on your place? If so, could you dig a hole outside of the house below the level of the tanks?

I should have finished the thought. The intent of digging below the tank level is to place the receiving drum below the tank. I'm not sure how you'd prime the siphon hose but the draining process would run smoothly.
    Last edited by svgheartland; April 28th, 2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    They have oil and coolant pumps that will suck very close to the bottom and that a submersible as well they run on 110/115 volt . They will pump various GPM and be able to have approx. a 8 or 10 foot head pressure .

McMaster-Carr

I just bought 2 of these type pumps for coolant on some saws i have .
    CWOUSCG and Aceoky like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Do you have an air compressor? I am more into forcing fuels with air than pumping. thread in a hose bib at the bottom of your tank run a garden hose up to your 55 gallon tank and set the regulator on your compressor to ten pounds. You can increase that up to 20 pounds without a lot of worry.

Check with your feed store they usually sell drums for $20.00 in my neck of the woods. Run an ad in your local rag for a red diesel tank and stand. I bought a 450 gallon tank and stand for $120.00 they must have them there.

If you prefer take the wood you have and build a containment around the outlet valve and line it with a piece of plastic or blue tarp. Use a sump pump from harbor freight and a garden hose to pump the fuel to your barrel.

Heating with oil is an expensive proposition. Once you empty the tanks can you build a stand for one of them and make it your red diesel tank?

Keep in touch and let us know what you do.
    Wow. That is a great idea. I never thought of using air pressure to pump it out.

I've already started the jacking procedure though. I have everything I need to jack it and put blocks under it. Then I'll just fill my 5 gallon cans under the spigot.

I'll get my 55 gallon drum patched tomorrow and I'll have this project done in two or three days tops. Giddy up!
    NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    ****** Warning ***** Do not put alot of pressure to a large fuel tank . Because a few pounds of pressure in a large tank is a accident waiting to happen . ( it is the Volume of air will throw steel shrapnel all over )

People have been killed doing this very thing . A 500 gal. tank maybe 2 or 3 LBS of pressure at best.

I would not use air to pressurize .
    Last edited by welder516; April 27th, 2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: last part
    CWOUSCG, Tzadik and Sister like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Well...... Being on the farm you should have some fertilizer. You can get rid of the Diesel and the tank in a few thousandths of a second!
    Of course the clean up might be a little more work than some of the other methods suggested.
    manolito likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links