The true story of the Exodus...

The true story of the Exodus...

This is a discussion on The true story of the Exodus... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had the pleasant opportunity to drive north on I-95 twice this week (Sorry, Moon, missed you both trips). First thing the wife and I noticed ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: The true story of the Exodus...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Cool The true story of the Exodus...

Had the pleasant opportunity to drive north on I-95 twice this week (Sorry, Moon, missed you both trips). First thing the wife and I noticed was the mass exodus of vehicles bearing northern tags traveling north. Two out of three by my estimate. Soon things will return to normal here in S. FL, and I can get into a restaurant in less than 20 minutes on a Friday evening and enjoy a quiet meal again. I can only assume the cold affects the hearing of northerners, so they have to yell over the rest of them yelling over the others.

I just don't get it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The time between the Exodus and the first hurricane warning or between the last hurricane warning and the great migration were nice times in Southwest Florida.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Had the pleasant opportunity to drive north on I-95 twice this week (Sorry, Moon, missed you both trips). First thing the wife and I noticed was the mass exodus of vehicles bearing northern tags traveling north. Two out of three by my estimate. Soon things will return to normal here in S. FL, and I can get into a restaurant in less than 20 minutes on a Friday evening and enjoy a quiet meal again. I can only assume the cold affects the hearing of northerners, so they have to yell over the rest of them yelling over the others.

I just don't get it.
    I don't get it, either. What is the big attraction with Florida?
    Badey, Oldpsufan, Aceoky and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Disneyworld? Complete absence of snow? Old elephant graveyard?
    Parrisk and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Spanish gold in them thar swamps.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    "Fly away, Little Snow Birds" back to the land of socialized medicine..Oh sorry, you are already in it..
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member
    Florida and south Georgia do an outstanding job of growing bugs, fire ants, and Gnats. I played golf down there and put ear plugs in to keep the gnats out. Great people that have trouble enunciating single words. Very inventive they have figured out to deep fry pickles and almost every other type of food available. Now if I could just get one of you to tell me why you boil perfectly good peanuts life's mysteries would be solved for me.

I live in an earthquake area but we do not have earthquake seasons every year for quakes.
    Oldpsufan and gatorbait51 like this.

I work in a restaurant and i feel your pain. I too am glad they are gone, for now.
    Sister, gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

Well when I worked at the RV park our tourist season started on Memorial Day weekend and ended on Labor Day weekend. The main problem with tourist season was the bag limit. We were never allowed to bag any tourists.

The best I could do was send them in the opposite direction when they were looking for the city or point them at Stick City when they were looking for the closest metropolis.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

every winter i miss north west Florida but every summer i am glad i live in east Washington, except cant get no good green up here
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I think it is kinda funny how Floridians "despise" tourist. Without them Florida would be part of Cuba, or owned by gators. Even your most famous son Henry Morrison Flagler, was born in NY. Are there really any native Floridians besides the Seminoles ?
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isn’t an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I think it is kinda funny how Floridians "despise" tourist. Without them Florida would be part of Cuba, or owned by gators. Even your most famous son Henry Morrison Flagler, was born in NY. Are there really any native Floridians besides the Seminoles ?
    I can't speak for FL but I can explain (hopefully) why some Southerners get irritated with some Northerners. And mind you I am not picking, I go shooting with a Jersey girl and we get along great...and this will lead as to why I think there are the issues. My friend from NJ loves the slow life, the over politeness (I'm generalizing) and the soft spoken people. I don't know why but a lot of people from the north are loud, very loud. As OldVet has eluded too in previous post many from the north will talk over their friends and it turns into a shouting match that most southerners find flat our rude and obnoxious and we just want the noise to go away! If they were a bit quieter then nobody would even notice. How bout this, you know when you were younger and at the community pool and there was always a kid screaming at the top of his/her lungs LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME when they were jumping into the pool then that will explain how annoying these people are. And granted some southerns are loud too and I general avoid them until they sober up.

And then there is the constant complaining. A realtor friend says that the Northerners will phone asking for a location with no bugs. Go ahead and laugh but she gets this all the time. It would be like a Southerner moving to Chicago asking for a location that it never snows in. We got bugs, lots of bugs. If all the bugs bother someone then they need to ask God about it - we didn't invite the bugs or able to make them leave but they were here before you (generalizing again) came to visit and you knew this before you moved/visited here. Get over it, use bug spray. The complaining about the driving. This one gets me because most of the people in these tourist traps are from the North?! They are lost - old - drunk, whatever but most of these people you (generalizing again) are complaining about are not even from here. The one's that are, why hurry? Southerners are not in a hurry period. It is not our way of life.

I could go on but will spare you and others because I think someone can get the point from what little I have written. I welcome people that move here and embrace the way of life, we are not going to change and we are not going anywhere (certainly not moving to the cold north).

As far as the Flagler family, I was in Boat Building school with one of the Flagler boys and he was about the most horrible person I have ever met - not a family I'd want to be proud of or a name to drop.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldvet View Post
    soon things will return to normal here in s. Fl, and i can get into a restaurant in less than 20 minutes on a friday evening and enjoy a quiet meal again. I can only assume the cold affects the hearing of northerners, so they have to yell over the rest of them yelling over the others

what did you say??
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't get it, either. What is the big attraction with Florida?
    Warmth! I am so sick of Winter, cold, scraping windshields.. If I could I would also migrate South for the Winter
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

My mother was a southerner. She had seven sisters including five redheads. I have been in a room with all of them laughing and talking loudly at the same time with eight different conversations going.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links