Weed Eaters?

This is a discussion on Weed Eaters? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How do the 40 Volt Lithium ones compair to the gas powered?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Weed Eaters?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Weed Eaters?

How do the 40 Volt Lithium ones compair to the gas powered?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

In my experience, battery powered yard tools don't stay charged long enough, even lithium powered. Unless you're taking down something fairly thin with it I'd go gas.
    Badey, ArmyCop and WannabeaCPA like this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Depends on how big your property is. I have about an acre of my land that we need to use a weed eater on. I would not use anything but gas. Smaller areas....should be fine
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I found the battery models to have problems sooner (charges not holding as long, or running out faster when it is very hot). To me it is just a hassle to not have something work when I want / need it to work, so I switched back to gas. I have a 1.5 acre yard and the battery trimmer did not always complete the mission.

Normally I buy Stihl gas engine products (chainsaw, blower, hedge trimmer) because they last forever, but I've been using an Echo 225 straight shaft trimmer that I purchased from Home Depot four years ago. I had a $100 gift card and gave it a try.

The price was good (about $200 - you can still find it at that price on sale) and it has been amazing. It's rated for 50 hours use, and I've probably got close to that much on it already. It runs like a champ and I would guess that it will run another 3-4 seasons without problems. I run mine for about an hour each time (twice a month for 5-6 months) and it always just works.
    ArmyCop likes this.

VIP Member
    I have alot of battery powered yard tools and work tools all of them work great . I have a very large charger that holds about 6 or so batteries so i never run out of power . I love battery power but i do have a small yard .

Gas equipment i never have any luck with so i even have a battery powered mower .
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I thought this was a thread about people in Colorado...

I agree with everyone above. If you're going to be using it for more than a few minutes at a time, go with gas.
    JoJoGunn, Patti, Parrisk and 3 others like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Every battery-powered tool I've ever owned has been a disappointment. Drill, saw, light, no matter. The batteries crap out and are expensive to replace, when you can. Buy the 14 volt model and it's obsolete the next year when the 18 volter comes out, and so on and so on. It's either gas- or electrical cord-operated for me.
    Last edited by OldVet; April 29th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use an Echo curved shaft exclusively. Battery are ok, but even the newer 50-odd volt ones don't compare to a gas one in my opinion.

Echo are high quality, run smoothly and have 5 year warranty as standard. I recommend them to all my customers.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

VIP Member
    got the Stihl never had a problem and I abuse it at times on my property.
    If I lived in the city with a tiny lot maybe I would consider a battery
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Dang, thought the thread would be about Colorado....
    ArmyCop and zonker1986 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Goats work great and taste great too
    ArmyCop and 357and40 like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Goats work great and taste great too
    Gotta be careful of the BLM invading your yard if you want to graze livestock though. Make sure there's no rare dung beetles or arse parasites on your property first.
    Parrisk, Patti and Recon1342 like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member
    goat milk,
    goat milk butter,
    goat milk ice cream,
    goat milk cheese (yummy).

The goat is your friend

goat.jpg
    Parrisk likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    I thought this was going to be another Colorado thread. Given that it is not, I prefer a Stihl gas model. Runs for years with little maintenance and I never have to worry about not getting the job done (assuming I fill the gas can when it needs it).
    ArmyCop likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

For small areas, the battery ones would work out OK, but like everyone else said, battery life isn't something to brag about. I use two gas eaters - a Stihl, and an Echo. They're used on large acreage, and a cemetery. Also, the Echo is the far better unit.
    ArmyCop likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links