Should Sterling be punished?

This is a discussion on Should Sterling be punished? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This thread is not meant to be a discussion on race. It is to consider should Donald Sterling be punished, and if so, how much, ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree477Likes

Thread: Should Sterling be punished?

This thread is not meant to be a discussion on race. It is to consider should Donald Sterling be punished, and if so, how much, for the comments he made on a recorded conversation he thought were private.

Sterling did not make the comments in a board meeting or in any official capacity. His comments were not at a news conference where he asked to be "off the record". They were made during a phone call with his 25 year old GF (that is another topis all together).

My instict is for him to be banned, fined, suspended, prohibited from day to day operations of the Clippers. But, how many thoughts do folks have that are private and not meant for public consumption, would hurt that individual with their employer or employees if someone covertly recorded their conversations?

I say let the media, fans, players, and sponsors of the Clippers guide the punishment in the form of boycotts, removal of sponsorship, and gicing the entire team free agencey.

Your thoughts?

How will NBA's Adam Silver punish Donald Sterling?
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My take:

Sterling is an old man, a product of eras long gone. Whatever an old fool says during an argument with his arm candy needs to taken for what it's worth. Nothing. Let the NBA deal with it; it's their turf.

As for the singers refusing to attend and the YMCA song being banned, that's only going against the fans who come to watch the game, not the goings on of a relic from the past. Anyone who expects the old guy to play politically correct during a private argument is a fool himself. Who hasn't said things they regret in the heat of a domestic battle?
    Oreste, 357and40, Geezer and 5 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I would get in all types of trouble if someone recorded me talking in my own home
    suntzu, OldVet, Badey and 17 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^Exactly! Personally, I'd rather slap that little twerp for posting a private conversation. She's no more than a scorned little girl.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Does it matter, the guy has piles of cash and he will find a way to make it into more cash. Who are the Clippers? Just like my home team the Bucks. a second or third rate NBA team with poor leadership that starts with the owner. Only way that team will get any better is to get an owner who cares about the game not the profits.
    gatorbait51 and WannabeaCPA like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

No. He is entitled to his own opinions as an individual.
    Oreste, 357and40, Geezer and 8 others like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Just another attraction in the clown show. Any reason I should even have an opinion about any of this?

Question

It's sad that there are people like this. Especially in a league dominated by African Americans. Which he is profiting from. But can you legally fire someone for comments like this? The players have signed contracts with his team. Can they legally just boycott and void those contracts?

A lot of my problem with this, too, is that this guy has been around for a long time. He's been doing and saying racist things for years. Why are we all of a sudden so worked up? If it's such a problem, why didn't they do anything the previous times?

One more: would the same thing be happening if the roles were reversed? What if Michael Jordan said he didn't like white people? Or didn't want his girlfriend taking pictures with mark Cuban? Would anyone even care? But you have people like Sharpton and Jackson who make their livelyhood on things like this. This keeps them relevant and keeps them profiting.

No. I'm tired of the thought police, let the open market handle this.

A persons thought are his own.......IMO he was illegally taped without him knowing, he should press charges against that Hooker.

VIP Member
    I could not care less if the whole NBA fell off the edge of the earth. That having been said, his, now public, comments are for the NBA, the fans and sponsors to deal with. Some of the "remedies" I have seen are as racist as the comments that were made to start this whole thing.

My takeaway is nothing new, be very careful who you trust.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I am shocked that this 81 year old billionaire's 25 year old girlfriend betrayed his trust.

What is the world coming to?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

So the man's girlfriend is being sued for $1.8 mil by his estranged wife.

The girlfriend sets the guy up in his own home by recording their conversation, unbeknownst to him which in California is a crime in & of itself.
    California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which one of the parties has an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation. See Flanagan v. Flanagan, 41 P.3d 575, 576-77, 578-82 (Cal. 2002). A California appellate court has ruled that this statute applies to the use of hidden video cameras to record conversations as well. See California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (Cal Ct. App. 1989).
    I would speculate she tried to force him to get the estranged wife to drop her suit by threatening to leak the conversation and he called her bluff, only she wasn't bluffing. SPECULATED

He seems to be focused at parts of the conversation with the concept that she can do what she wishes in private but he does not want her to do it in public (ie: on instagram and at games) where she brought Magic Johnson, a PLAYER /subordinate type and published pictures of her with "minorities" even though she is half black and half Latina, two minorities rolled into one. He even remarked that he is receiving calls about her pictures. My take on this is that he is probably feeling emasculated. He is the OWNER of an NBA team and his woman is fraternizing with lowly PLAYERS. His big-wig buddies are likely giving him grief over it.

He is KNOWN to have had issues with race in the past refusing to rent to blacks and Hispanics. He even accepted a multi-million dollar fine (fine, me, i'm rich, I will pay it) for excluding certain races from his business deals. By the same token he embraces Koreans including opening a building targeted exclusively at renting to Koreans.

So now we have celebrities (Snoop Dogg) looking for the guys head on a platter as a result. Glen Beck ran the profanity laced, racist tirade Snoop recorded about this guy. If Sterling is forced out of being an owner for his statements, Snoop Dogg needs to be removed from any jobs he has for the same. Sharpton called for Sterling's head as well. Sharpton is one of the biggest pot stirrers out there. Same treatment needs to be levied on him.

We are such a litigious society who feels they have a right to not be offended. There is NO right to not be offended. If Nazi's have a right to march in Skokie, this guy has a right to not like black people, even if he has been dating a woman who is half black for four years (find the logic there, i dare you.) The Westboro Baptists are scum, but they have a right to their opinion. The best way to eliminate concerns about race is to quit being concerned about race (paraphrasing here.)

My opinion: No matter how big a scumbag this guy is, he was having a private conversation which was being recorded without his consent by a gold-digger. He has a right to his business and deserves no punishment.

ps: PEF you are my hero!
    PEF, OldVet, Jeanlouise and 7 others like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

We will see what the NBA "Thought Police" decide to do to him... if anything. Man has some issues with his bread and butter... But, so did the slave holders of old.

He: "buys them food and clothes and cars and homes" (< paraphrase)

They buy him caviar, and bespoke suits, and Bentleys, and mansions.

Like most of Corporate American business leaders, he makes his living off the laboring backs of others. And, like most of Corporate American business leaders, he disdains those who feed him.

All of that said, his remarks were made to "race baiting" questions in a private conversation that have no place in the public eye.

It's an old - tired argument... And Cliven Bundy made the same types of statements, but he did it publicly.
    357and40 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Nope....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links