Tornado update

Tornado update

This is a discussion on Tornado update within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you have had tornadoes in your area or have had family members affected, check in with us and let DC know you are OK....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Tornado update

Tornado update

If you have had tornadoes in your area or have had family members affected, check in with us and let DC know you are OK.
    welder516 likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Their computer might be in Kansas, but from all the users of Tapatalk on here, I would assume their smart phone would still be working.
    Sister and CLASS3NH like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    There have been some horrible pictures of areas that were blown apart by tornados yesterday. I feel so badly for them, especially the ones who have lost family members.

It's just hard to imagine that kind of power in a tornado. I lived in west Texas for 4 years and never saw one.

I hope all our DC friends in those areas came through it ok.
    welder516, CLASS3NH and Sister like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    There have been some horrible pictures of areas that were blown apart by tornados yesterday. I feel so badly for them, especially the ones who have lost family members.

It's just hard to imagine that kind of power in a tornado. I lived in west Texas for 4 years and never saw one.

I hope all our DC friends in those areas came through it ok.
    I'll never forget seeing where one went down a street for miles in Raleigh, NC in the late 80's. It took a whole K-mart away, nothing there except the cement floor - and I mean nothing, no merchandise or anything. It was half mile from my townhouse and riding down the road where it hit I drove slowly and tears would not stop. It was like bombs had hit and blew up everything. Kids toys were in few trees left. The wind did wake me that night but I had no idea what was happening down the road.

Just heard two children and I think they said a total of 15 people were killed. Very sad.
    Jeanlouise and Aceoky like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

I deleted my post, out of respect for those who lost it all, and the ones that were left behind to pick up the pieces.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Luckily the storm went right round us. I was in one a few years ago, and they aren't a joke. I just hope those effected can piece their lives back together.
    Sister likes this.

I have family in Michigan they had tornado warnings in their area a few weeks ago, and there were a large number of power outages, but thankfully they were not affected. Our monsoon season starts in July here in Az, and we have severe dust storms, thunderstorms, microbursts, and flash flooding in some areas, but thankfully tornadoes are a rare occurrence.
    Sister and NewportReds like this.

I drove through a subdivision in Kentucky the same day after a tornado ripped through it...it was the most shocking thing I've ever seen. It looked like a war zone. Saw it in Virginia in the town I lived in a couple years ago too. It was about 5 miles from my house...again, shocking. You could see the path through a neighborhood, up and over a mountain, down the other side, across the interstate, and through another neighborhood. Unbelievable. It's scary stuff.
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Administrator
    Ive been through a few areas hit by tornados... The one that was the worst was Xenia ohio about 10-15 years ago. As I drove into town a day or two later, there was all kinds of debris strewn everywhere, obviously getting worse the closer I got. I very vividly remember the Blockbuster video store. The building was smashed to pieces, and there was video tape every where for miles around. It would of made my 8th grade self proud had it been toilet paper instead, the trees, building everything was covered with tape.
    Also, the Walmart parking lot was interesting. It had been close to full when the tornado hit, and all the cars were piled up in a heap near the center of the lot. Not many were recognizable anymore. I know at least one person died in that heap, it might've been more. That was a very sobering experience.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    We are currently under several watches now but no warnings yet.
    Sister and Aceoky like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Sheets of rain just started here but no tornado alert. We needed the rain very much so no complaints. msgt/ret put on your red shoes and head to the safest place in your home and start clicking your heals together.
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

I live in Graysville, Alabama and we took a direct hit from a tornado the day before yesterday (Monday). Fortunately, I only lost a tree. It was a good tree, a majestic 24" diameter pine tree that I had just, two days before, worked all day on planting a ring of impatiens around. Oh well, RIP tree.

The city overall suffered a significant amount of damage. Downed trees, power lines, structural damage to both homes and businesses, etc. It looks to have been about an F2, though I haven't heard yet for sure. Right now we still have roadblocks surrounding every access point to the city to keep the lookie-lou's and degenerate, scumbag looters out. Each resident has to have a resident card, provided by County Sheriff's, on their dash to get into the city. No card = no entry. To get a card you have to show your license, or some other proof of residence with your current address, at the roadblock or you're turned away. Crews are still out working to get the roads cleared and power restored. I only lost power for about 7-8 hours Monday night but then it came back on.

I surveyed the damage yesterday evening on my way home and plotted the damage path on Google Earth. The tornado missed my house by about 300-400 yards - assuming a straight-line path. So it could have been closer or farther, depending on how the twister "twisted" I guess. But, by an inch or a mile, it missed us and we are fortunate. Several others weren't, but as far as I know there were no fatalities in my city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Sheets of rain just started here but no tornado alert. We needed the rain very much so no complaints. msgt/ret put on your red shoes and head to the safest place in your home and start clicking your heals together.
    Thirty or more years ago it should have been mandated that all new home construction have below grade tornado shelters designed into the final blueprint. Better yet above grade construction should have been BANNED in tornado areas. This would have save countless lives were it so.

Below grade construction does not have to look like a bunker or ammo magazine as seen on US Navy bases. I've seen beautiful homes and regular not so fancy practical homes of earth sheltered living spaces. People never seem to learn.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    msgt/ret and Sister like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ive been through a few areas hit by tornados... The one that was the worst was Xenia ohio about 10-15 years ago. As I drove into town a day or two later, there was all kinds of debris strewn everywhere, obviously getting worse the closer I got. I very vividly remember the Blockbuster video store. The building was smashed to pieces, and there was video tape every where for miles around. It would of made my 8th grade self proud had it been toilet paper instead, the trees, building everything was covered with tape.
    Also, the Walmart parking lot was interesting. It had been close to full when the tornado hit, and all the cars were piled up in a heap near the center of the lot. Not many were recognizable anymore. I know at least one person died in that heap, it might've been more. That was a very sobering experience.

I remember the Xenia tornado well. Most, if not all, the town was virtually wiped off the map.

We lived in Lubbock,Texas the year that the tornado took out Wichita Falls, 1979 I believe. Up until that date, it was one of the strongest ever recorded in the US. Unbelievable destruction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links