Good samaritan stabbed to death

This is a discussion on Good samaritan stabbed to death within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very sad story or a good guy getting the short end. YUCAIPA: Man killed helping stabbing victim called ?true hero? | Banning and Beaumont News ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 4 Post By Sister
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By oakchas
  • 3 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By doubleshot
  • 3 Post By Phaedrus
  • 1 Post By NickBurkhardt
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Good samaritan stabbed to death

oakchas likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    How heartbreaking. I hope the robber gets the death penalty.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ammo for "only my loved ones" crowd, but I have eternal respect for those willing to jump in when anyone needs help. RIP, my good man.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The violent sociopath rears his ugly head.

The good Samaritan suffers the consequences.

The 21 foot rule, the Tueller drill, and all the mumbo jumbo doesn't cut it when faced with the true violent sociopath.

As she stood behind the car, the robber “came up behind me and slammed my head on the car.”
    And she fought back. She took him to the ground, not a good place to be, she's lucky she survived.

Once the Samaritan stepped in, and chased after the BG, more stabbing ensued. The Samaritan died from his injuries.

My guess is that the perp has done serious jail time in the past, probably even seen a yard killing or two. He knew exactly what to do...

Once tackled by the woman: STAB, STAB, STAB, STAB.... until they let go. Once set upon by the Samaritan: STAB, STAB, STAB, STAB, STAB... until you are free.

Situational awareness might have avoided the original conflict... but once it was on, it was a deadly encounter. If she had a gun in her purse, that would have been gone, or in the hands of the BG. More deadly. If she'd had it on her hip, would she have had enough time to draw and fire? My guess is, most likely not.

There are times when a firearm may not save you... What are you going to do if the BG gets too close?

I'm not smarter than anyone here, I'm no kung fu ninja. If I had been caught unaware, I might have suffered the same fate. If you can't shoot to stop the threat, what then?

Targets might help... might... go for an eye, scoop it out with your thumb... crush his windpipe, head butt him (maybe), Take the knife away? No, not until he's disabled. Not until he can't use it anyway... You're going to get cut, you will probably survive that... but you won't easily survive getting stabbed multiple times... The only way to keep from being stabbed is to get inside... the hardest part to get to...

Knife disarms are easy.... yeah, right. The machine controlling the knife is what needs to be stopped.

This is the thing we should dread. This, the sociopath who cares not one whit about anything but getting what he wants... and will do anything to get it, with no concern for the humanity... If you can get rounds into him, great! It's gonna take quite a few to stop him. Once you can't get rounds into him, what are you going to do then?

9 times out of ten, you show a gun, or use it, and the BG quits and the others with him run... but that one time in ten, you had best be prepared to be in the fight of your life, for your life.

These are the thoughts that run thru my head when I read one of these stories. SA will keep your butt out of the sling... but there's gonna be that time when you never saw it coming. WHAT THEN?

Edit to add this:

STAB STAB STAB, this is what it looks like... all the "technique" in the world won't stop this... Getting the BG non functional gives you a chance. not a guarantee, but a chance...

Phaedrus and BigJon10125 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Bad deal all the way around.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    RIP Troy Cansler. May you be remembered for saving a mother's life.
    Brad426, Sister and BigJon10125 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Sheesh. Thoughts and prayers to that hero's family. Devastating that someone goes to such great lengths and loses his life.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

It was very brave of him, and it's sad that he lost his life. Sadly this is a lesson for us- we're not cops (well, most of us anyways). There was little to gain by chasing the perp. What did he think he'd do once he caught him? I might risk my life to save someone else but I sure wouldn't risk my life to get someone's stuff back.

That said, he was a courageous guy. I too hope the murderer never sees sunlight again.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Sad that all of California is a "gun free zone" for law abiding citizens.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Mr. Cansler, did the right thing. I wish it would have ended better for him and his family......
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    My sympathy goes to all the victims here, but, frankly, discretion would have been the better part of valor.
    Moreover, remaining with the wounded mother and her child,and providing aid and comfort until other help arrived would have been a wise idea.
    The crime had been accomplished. There was no exigent need for self-defense or defense of others.

He was definitely courageous.
    May he rest in peace,
    and may the knuckledragger die a horrible painful death.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Sad that all of California is a "gun free zone" for law abiding citizens.
    Thankfully ALL of CA isn't, including the town this happened in. Unfortunate none the less. In one paper a couple claimed the guy was at a bar drinking with them before leaving to do this. So sad.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    My sympathy goes to all the victims here, but, frankly, discretion would have been the better part of valor.
    Moreover, remaining with the wounded mother and her child,and providing aid and comfort until other help arrived would have been a wise idea.
    The crime had been accomplished. There was no exigent need for self-defense or defense of others.

He was definitely courageous.
    May he rest in peace,
    and may the knuckledragger die a horrible painful death.
    Hindsight being 20/20 I would hope I would be smart enough to stay with the gal too. Made me think of my wife and "it could have been her" type thing.
    BigJon

Sponsored Links