employment-population ratio below 59%

This is a discussion on employment-population ratio below 59% within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Employment-population ratio, the percentage of working age Americans that actually have a job has been below 59 percent for more than four years in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: employment-population ratio below 59%

Distinguished Member

Exclamation employment-population ratio below 59%

Employment-population ratio, the percentage of working age Americans that actually have a job has been below 59 percent for more than four years in a row…

The Real Unemployment Rate: In 20% Of American Families, EVERYONE Is Unemployed : Freedom Outpost

The Real Unemployment Rate: In 20% Of American Families, EVERYONE Is Unemployed
    Michael Snyder April 28, 2014

According to shocking new numbers that were just released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 20 percent of American families do not have a single person that is working. So when someone tries to tell you that the unemployment rate in the United States is about 7 percent, you should just laugh. One-fifth of the families in the entire country do not have a single member with a job. That is absolutely astonishing. How can a family survive if nobody is making any money? Well, the answer to that question is actually quite easy. There is a reason why government dependence has reached epidemic levels in the United States. Without enough jobs, tens of millions of additional Americans have been forced to reach out to the government for help. At this point, if you can believe it, the number of Americans getting money or benefits from the federal government each month exceeds the number of full-time workers in the private sector by more than 60 million.

When I was growing up, it seemed like anyone that was willing to work hard could find a good paying job. But now that has all changed. At this point, 20 percent of all the families in the entire country do not have a single member that has a job. That includes fathers, mothers and children. The following is how CNSNews.com broke down the numbers…

A family, as defined by the BLS, is a group of two or more people who live together and who are related by birth, adoption or marriage. In 2013, there were 80,445,000 families in the United States and in 16,127,000—or 20 percent–no one had a job.

To be honest, these really are Great Depression-type numbers. But over the years “unemployment” has been redefined so many times that it doesn’t mean the same thing that it once did. The government tells us that the official unemployment rate is about 7 percent, but that number is almost meaningless at this point.

A number that I find much more useful is the employment-population ratio. According to the employment-population ratio, the percentage of working age Americans that actually have a job has been below 59 percent for more than four years in a row…

That means that more than 41 percent of all working age Americans do not have a job.

When people can’t take care of themselves, it becomes necessary for the government to take care of them. And what we have seen in recent years is government dependence soar to unprecedented levels. In fact, welfare spending and entitlement payments now make up 69 percent of the entire federal budget. For much more on this, please see my previous article entitled “18 Stats That Prove That Government Dependence Has Reached Epidemic Levels“.

And what is even more frightening is that more families are falling out of the middle class every single day. As real unemployment rate a recent CNN article explained, approximately one-third of all U.S. households are living “hand-to-mouth”. In other words, they are constantly living on the edge of financial disaster…

About one-third of American households live “hand-to-mouth,” meaning that they spend all their paychecks. But what surprised the study authors is that 66% of these families are middle class, with a median income of $41,000. While they don’t have liquid assets, such as savings accounts or mutual fund holdings, they do have homes and retirement accounts, with a median net worth of $41,000.

“We don’t expect them to be living paycheck to paycheck,” said Greg Kaplan, study co-author and assistant professor of economics at Princeton University.

The American Dream is rapidly becoming an American nightmare.

When I was growing up, I lived in a pretty typical middle class neighborhood. Everyone had a nice home, a couple of cars and could go on vacation during the summer. I don’t remember ever hearing of anyone using food stamps or going to a food bank. In fact, I can’t even remember anyone having a parent that was unemployed. If someone did leave a job, it was usually quite easy to find another one.

But today, the middle class is being ripped to shreds and according to one new report there are 49 million Americans that are dealing with food insecurity in 2014.

How can anyone not see what is happening to us? America is in the midst of a long-term economic decline, but the mainstream media and most of our politicians seem to think that things are better than ever. They continue to try to convince us that “business as usual” is the right path to take.

But one-fifth of the families in the entire nation are already totally unemployed.

At what point will we finally admit that what we are doing right now is simply not working?

30 percent of all families unemployed?

40 percent?

50 percent?

If we stay on the road that we are on now, things are going to continue to get worse. Millions more jobs will be shipped overseas, millions more jobs will be replaced by technology and crippling government regulations will kill millions more jobs. The middle class will continue to shrink and government dependence will continue to rise.

Most people just want to work hard, put food on the table, pay their mortgages and provide a nice life for their families.

But the percentage of Americans that are successfully able to do that just keeps getting smaller.

Wake up America.

Your middle class is dying.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Another thing that is not mentioned is that when unemployment welfare runs out and people are disenrolled they are dropped from the unemployment rolls and are no longer counted.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

When I was a kid, my family was 'successful' and so only 16% of us needed to work in order to thrive.
    Now that I am older, 66% of my family needs to work just to 'make it'. So, the best metric to measure success isn't intuitive.

I like this one.

"Median income" captures a lot.
    Sister likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

With enough parasitic drain (unfunded entitlements) on the economic engine (private capitalism) comes a choking sputter followed by a complete stall. We are somewhere, right NOW, between those two clear symptoms. Better treat any/all assets like green beans. Get all you CAN, and can ALL you GET!
    Tzadik and Aceoky like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I am among the uncounted unemployed. The numbers are horribly slanted.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I am among the uncounted unemployed. The numbers are horribly slanted.
    Me too.

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Administrator
    Finally Good News! The economy grew by one tenth of one percent!!!
    Sister, pgrass101, Badey and 3 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Should we send a case of champagne to the WH?
    OldVet likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Send one tenth of one percent of a bottle.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    With oil staying above $100 a barrel, economic growth will be slow at best.
    CanuckQue and Aceoky like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Not a case of champagne because even that pitiful percentage was probably fudged so I think possibly a half empty bottle of non-alcoholic carbonated apple cider gone very flat might be a bit more appropriate.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Yes, but we will have windmills!

windmill.jpg

(sarcasm)
    ETXhiker likes this.

Administrator
    This person was a guest on Coast To Coast AM last night. He was not a crackpot at all and made a TON of logical common sense.

I tuned in late & missed half of the interview so I am going to buy the book.

DingBat and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    ... and which one of the parrot-mouth on Capitol Hill stated some garbage like..

"now with OBama-Care if you want to quit your job to pursue being an artist, you can, cuz now you'll have coverage!!"

great way to help the middle class pull themselves up by the bootstraps... awesome.

like, I am all for people pursuing their dreams... but for politicians to advocate people quitting their jobs to pursue being artist at a time when our economy is tanking is simply irresponsible....

Whatever, I got a great job, my company is dominating new markets, I got a raise and a promotion, the grass is green here...! AND... I paid a poopie load of taxes this year so did my part feeding the "dependants" good or bad....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Yes and no. A great deal of that price rise is demand-driven, which means that the economic growth due to oil is 'higher' than what you'd think if it rose to $100 on pure increasing scarcity. The reason why it's not $99 is because someone with $100 figured that the oil was 'more worth it than not'. The US actually creates reasonable economic value from its oil consumption, so it's definitely pushing the price upwards for 'good reasons'. And economic growth has been rising faster than oil consumption for quite awhile in the States, so each barrel is becoming increasingly more valuable.

I'm not saying growth wouldn't be faster with lower oil prices, just that the rising oil prices aren't 100% 'bad news'. But actually reflect 'good news'.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links