Unexpected Police Encounter

This is a discussion on Unexpected Police Encounter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Been promising my 7 year old nephew that I would fix up an old BMX bike for him. He spends a lot of time here ...

Like Tree25Likes
  • 12 Post By Hatrix
  • 2 Post By scdw43
  • 4 Post By ElkSniper
  • 3 Post By chiefjason
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 2 Post By StevePVB

Thread: Unexpected Police Encounter

Unexpected Police Encounter

Been promising my 7 year old nephew that I would fix up an old BMX bike for him. He spends a lot of time here because his parents split and both work odd, sometimes long hours, and I'm conveniently located in between them both. So while I was on the way home earlier I drove past a yard sale that had a bike perfect to scavenge to complete the bike at home. Got the bike and brought it home. Nephew was very happy, until I told him that he had to help me do the yard work tonight if he wanted to fix the bike up for him tomorrow.

So we started pulling weeds and clearing branches in the yard. Pulled the mower out of the shed and decided it needed the old once over before using it. So we drained the gas left over from last season and flipped it over, scraped all the old gunked up grass from under it, checked the spark plug etc. We mowed the back yard and I let him run a few passes with the mower since he wanted to try it. We moved out to the front yard and I started mowing while he walked beside me.

As we were making a pass in the tree lawn next to the street a local cop drove by. He drove about 3 houses down, turned around in the drive way and slowly drove up to the curb next to and stopped with his window down. He said "Hey man, your gun is uncovered, pull down your shirt." Apparently during the course of bending down to either clear weeds or when working on the mower my shirt got bunched up between my side and the handle of my gun in the OWB holster and it was exposed. I thanked the cop and told him how I figured it come uncovered and he said "It's no problem, just didn't want anyone to see it and call on you." then he made some quick small talk with my nephew and myself and drove off.

I was pleasantly surprised. The yard is done. And I have a bike to rebuild tomorrow.
    Tactical Senior Junior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactically Stealth Tactics And Tactical Bad-Assery

2. Remove Ads

You just never know. The next time six cars might pull up and throwdown on you.
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.

Nice Story... Teaching the nephew that you need to work for what you want, how to work hard, and him seeing a positive police encounter. This kid is lucky.

Overall, not a bad encounter. But I prefer to be able to carry that way if I choose on my own property. I've talked to the cops here while OC'ing without as much as a comment from them.

And kuddos for helping out with the nephew. As someone who has been in his position, it makes a huge difference.
    Powpig2002, Badey and hello1900 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Some times the best Dad is the one who chooses the job. Glad the encounter went well and thank you for helping with the boy. Work for reward is one of the best lessons there is.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    Recon1342 and Arejay like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Overall, not a bad encounter. But I prefer to be able to carry that way if I choose on my own property. I've talked to the cops here while OC'ing without as much as a comment from them.

And kuddos for helping out with the nephew. As someone who has been in his position, it makes a huge difference.
    Depends on your state laws. In SC you can carry open or concealed on your own property, no permit needed. Step off the curb though, and you'd better have your papers and be covered. No open carry allowed here.

Lucky Nephew.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

It's illegal to carry a weapon that is exposed on your own property in Ohio?
    Better yet, how is whatever you're doing on your property, any concern to a cop randomly passing by?
    Tell me more!

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I was out mowing the yard not long ago with my gun exposed. Two cops were walking down the street, which I had not seen done before. They said they were just patrolling the neighborhood. We talked for about 10 minutes, nothing was said about my open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by IWIWBig View Post
    It's illegal to carry a weapon that is exposed on your own property in Ohio?
    Better yet, how is whatever you're doing on your property, any concern to a cop randomly passing by?
    Tell me more!
    I think you are putting the wrong spin on this. The cop was being a good guy. He saw an innocent situation and didn't want some anti to call 911 screaming about MWAG.
    flintlock62 and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Been promising my 7 year old nephew that I would fix up an old BMX bike for him. He spends a lot of time here because his parents split and both work odd, sometimes long hours, and I'm conveniently located in between them both. So while I was on the way home earlier I drove past a yard sale that had a bike perfect to scavenge to complete the bike at home. Got the bike and brought it home. Nephew was very happy, until I told him that he had to help me do the yard work tonight if he wanted to fix the bike up for him tomorrow.

So we started pulling weeds and clearing branches in the yard. Pulled the mower out of the shed and decided it needed the old once over before using it. So we drained the gas left over from last season and flipped it over, scraped all the old gunked up grass from under it, checked the spark plug etc. We mowed the back yard and I let him run a few passes with the mower since he wanted to try it. We moved out to the front yard and I started mowing while he walked beside me.

As we were making a pass in the tree lawn next to the street a local cop drove by. He drove about 3 houses down, turned around in the drive way and slowly drove up to the curb next to and stopped with his window down. He said "Hey man, your gun is uncovered, pull down your shirt." Apparently during the course of bending down to either clear weeds or when working on the mower my shirt got bunched up between my side and the handle of my gun in the OWB holster and it was exposed. I thanked the cop and told him how I figured it come uncovered and he said "It's no problem, just didn't want anyone to see it and call on you." then he made some quick small talk with my nephew and myself and drove off.

I was pleasantly surprised. The yard is done. And I have a bike to rebuild tomorrow.
    Nice officer, I had one like that once. no twice.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Its good that your nephew has a positive mentor like you! As far as the LEO encounter goes, it sounded very positive to me. BTW, I use to handle citizen complaints on officers as part of my duties as a watch commander. Surprisingly one common complaint was that the officers wouldn't stop and chat/interact with citizens. Unfortunately my officers were very busy handling dispatched calls (during peak hours we often had 911 calls stacked). I would try to explain this and most would understand.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Links