Falling bullets and golden bras.... (Merged)

This is a discussion on Falling bullets and golden bras.... (Merged) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got this off of drudgereport.com http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/05/D8MFB7A02.html May need to cut and paste into your browser....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling bullets and golden bras.... (Merged)

Falling bullets and golden bras.... (Merged)

Got this off of drudgereport.com

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/05/D8MFB7A02.html

May need to cut and paste into your browser.

2. Remove Ads

Yea... Gotta love the idiots on New Years Eve....I live in St Pete and it was very hard to tell what was gun shots and what was fireworks that night. This is the reason I was not outside that night.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I saw that story on some new program. She said she was going to get the bra bronzed.

Our sub-division sounded like down town Bagdad arounf midnight on New Years. But it was fireworks, not gunshots. Thankfully.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I'm gonna get rich selling those bra's on ebay.

Maybe it wouldn't even have broken the skin if she were wearing a chainmail bikini.

Every other press release I read on this said it was a .38. But.... now.... I wonder what woulda happened if it was a .40 cal! Let the caliber wars begin!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Blackeagle, I was going to say that those chain mail bikinis were pretty scary. And to me, and my philistine sensibilities, they are.

But I've started wondering just how you came to find out about'em........

VIP Member
    Myth Busters did this and proved that a falling bullet doesn't have enough speed to do any real damage, despite what the misinformed people said in the link.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Myth Busters did this and proved that a falling bullet doesn't have enough speed to do any real damage, despite what the misinformed people said in the link.
    saw the same myth buster show. lived in miami many mango season ago and during new years night the gun fire was loud. we even had full auto fire.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I saw that Mythbuster show too. Some of my favorite Mythbusters shows involve the gun myths.

Not surprising I guess.

I loved the one where they busted the explosive decompression myth.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    But I've started wondering just how you came to find out about'em........
    Google

A New Orleans tourist was killed several years ago allegedly by a falling bullet at new years.

Sorry I missed the mythbusters' espisode. Did they actually stand under the falling bullet? Only if you're willing to be in the fire zone, it would seem, the real deal....

Did they use a radar gun or something to gauge the speed?
    Last edited by Biloxi Bersa; January 6th, 2007 at 12:55 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    A New Orleans tourist was killed several years ago allegedly by a falling bullet at new years.

Sorry I missed the mythbusters' espisode. Did they actually stand under the falling bullet? Only if you're willing to be in the fire zone, it would seem, the real deal....

The lady from Philadelphia, PA was killed at about 11:45 PM December 31, 1994. The bullet hit her almost directly on the top of her head. We moved from NO in June 1995. The two events are not related. We were already planning to move.

I aslo missed that Mythbusters. What I wonder about is the bullets used to test the theory. A 230 grain .45 bullet never travels real fast, but will kill you. A hypersonic .22LR 40 grain bullet travels real fast and will kill you, but not as easily as the slow .45 bullet. If a bullet takes 2 seconds to fall back to earth and travels straight down it will be travelling at about 1000 ft. per second when it hit (regardless of the mass of the bullet). Acceleration of Gravity is 32+ feet per second squared. Anyone who doubts that a bullet falling at that speed will kill you, especially if it is a large bullet, is welcome to take my place. The difference in the affect of the larger bullet falling from the same height would be due solely to the mass of the bullet since they would be traveling at the same speed.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post

I haven't seen the episode in a while, but IIRC, they did two tests:

For test #1 they hooked a high speed fan up to a narrow vertical tube and dropped a bullet in the top end. Then they adjusted the fan speed until they bullet 'hovered' in the middle of the tube. This established the terminal velocity of a falling bullet, which turned out to be pretty slow, ~100 mph I think. Then they rigged up an air gun to fire bullets at 100mph at various stuff and figured that it probably wouldn't kill you.

The second test was the field one. They went out to a dry lake bed somewhere in California and fired several weapons straight up (with all of the cast and crew tucked safely under bulletproof shields, of course). They managed to find some of the fired bullets in the lake bed and found that they didn't really penetrate that far.

They acknowledged that bullets fired into the air have killed several people and wounded many more (they even talked to a doctor who treated someone hit by a bullet). However, based on their experiments, they thought that these people probably weren't injured by bullets shot straight into the air (which is the myth they were testing). They theorized that a bullet fired at an angle, rather than straight up, would retain a lot more stability and hence, a lot more of it's initial velocity. One fired straight up would come to a complete stop at the top of it's trajectory and come down tumbling, at a much lower velocity than when it came out of the barrel.

VIP Member
    I was in Baghdad last winter (December, I think) when the Iraqi soccer team won some sort of big mid-east soccer tournament. The entire city ERUPTED in gunfire for at least a half-hour. Tens of thousands of rounds went up, and it seemed like most of them were landing on us in the IZ. (Of course, I can’t prove the bums were aiming in our general direction, but I certainly felt that way….)

Dozens of rounds splashed into the palace pool, they bounced off (and occasionally pierced) the thin aluminum roofs of our hootches, they danced on the streets and sidewalks… One female Colonel was hit TWICE as I watched her run for cover (she had on her helmet and IBA, and suffered no injuries). Other people took dings to their arms and legs, but had at most a minor bruise to show for it. One guy took a good shot to his (uncovered) noggin, and had a nice gash that required stitches. (We found the round that we believe hit him, and it was a 12.7 or 14.5mm…that might account for the severity of his injuries.)

The bad part was that - every once in a while - you could hear Big Army "returning" fire with a Ma Deuce at some celebrant who openned up a little too close to an American unit in the middle of the night...

This is, of course, anecdotal, but it shows that, at least in this instance, you most certainly can get hit by a falling bullet – even a VERY large one – and survive.

And to the poster that gave us the formula for acceleration due to gravity (9.80665 m/s≤ at sea level) failed to account for resistance, which would have a significant effect on a clumsy, non-aerodynamic object like an unstabilized bullet.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links