Women, Guns and this Forum

This is a discussion on Women, Guns and this Forum within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Part of the reason there aren't more women posting is...there are a bunch like my wife. I keep her to busy cooking & cleaning my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women, Guns and this Forum

VIP Member
    Part of the reason there aren't more women posting is...there are a bunch like my wife. I keep her to busy cooking & cleaning my guns to have time to post ...........honey, put that gun down!....honey......

(boy, I'm going to pay for that...........)

Seriously, I've said this before, but women are important to our future as gun owners in the US......

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ighlight=women
    I think this is the key to expanding our base. The more women, mothers, daughters, girl friends...etc.....the better.

Once women are converted, politicians will have to follow. The more females are convinced that a firearm is a good way to defend themselves, the easier the conversion will be. Women drive a lot of political & social issues. Where men just do things to make the females happy. Gun control was one of them, now with more & more women shooters, gun control is less of a political platform.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=12721&page=3

As for teaching females to shoot, I have found them all, without exception, easier to teach then men. I think part of it is women have not developed bad habits that men have. For instance, most men who have not shot very much tend to anticipate recoil & flinch or jerk the trigger. Women on the other hand, don't seem to have this issue (or at least it is less pronounced).

Another thing that women don't have a problem with is EGO. Most men have the attitude that they are the masters of everything & don't need, or take advice as well as women.

I've taught as many women as men & by far, I would rather deal with women since they are easier to teach. Women also tend to be more natural shooters, the techniques seem to stick with them better since a lot of men are more worried about being 'cool'.

My wife is good with a pistol, my mother (all 5'1" of her) is great with a shotgun & my daughter is great with an AR (she's an Army MP, she also loves the US Army's SAW, when mounted in a HMMWV.).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I haven't been hanging around on this forum very long, but I figured this was as good a time as any to fess up.

I am one of the girls.

There are probably a few more in the closet too. I try not to make a big deal out of it. I don't want to be either patronized or antagonized. I just want to read, and occasionally put in my two cents worth.

Thanks for the welcome!
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I dont see the big deal.. shooting is one of a few sports that women can compete on equal ground with the men. Generally speaking, I think women are better shooters than men. They make better students anyway. Its when their dippy boyfriends/husbands give them all their wonderful instruction is when they go bad.
    A woman taught me in a SWAT shotgun course years ago. She can out shoot anybody I know, and she uses a plain jane 870. To look at her, one would think she works at the mall or something like that. Gotta love it.

I think it is very important to have the women post here. I also think they might be more influential in getting other women to carry which helps the entire cause.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWatson View Post
    I haven't been hanging around on this forum very long, but I figured this was as good a time as any to fess up.

I am one of the girls.
    OH NO!!!!

Sorry, as usual, couldn't resist.

But you are correct, we may actually have more females than we think. On the other hand it is sad to think that women may feel that they have to hide to get the same respect (?) as the male members of the forum.

I know here the Mods keep trying, and if we mess up Betty makes us do her chores!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Personally I'd love to see more women actively participating here and in some other forums.

Regrettably there are a lot of forums with an overabundance of knuckle-draggers that I think chase the women away (CC is NOT one of those).

I hope you will find it comfortable here, as CC tries very hard to make this a family-friendly place and they do an excellent job of it.

So, please accept my personal "Welcome" and please jump in at any time!
    NRA Instructor

I'm not on the forum much, but when I am I tend to read more than post. Honestly, I think I'm too ignorant of the various guns and terms to post on alot of the threads. All I know about guns is what my husband and I own.

And really the only thing I want to do is be safe and go shooting at the range. Period. I don't see anything much more to it than that for now, so I guess I just don't know what to talk about.

I'm doing my part... I have 4 daughters and a wife, all of whom I've introduced to firearms :)

No, none of them post on here :(

Here's my daughter Kira enjoying a fine winter morning...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Administrator
    Ah yes, a classic... a youngin' shooting a 1911. The future is bright after all.

I am not sure this is typical of women but I should probably mention this...

My wife carries a Glock 36 regularly. Most of the time she carries 2 spare mags for it. She shoots IPSC when she can.

A few nights ago:

Her: Why do you spend so much time on gun boards?
    Me: I don't. (Really I don't.) Why don't YOU sign up for some?
    Her: It is upsetting to read about attacks, etc.
    Me. but I thought you'd want t learn... be prepared.
    Her: I AM prepared. I just don't need regular reminders.

I agree with her that she has the equipment, the skill, and the mindset to do an excellent job of being situationally aware and defending herself. She just doesn't like discussing it beyond actual training.

I wonder if women in general tend to be like this. If so, there may be a lot more women carrying than the boards would indicate.

VIP Member
    I, too, would love to see more, I'm going to show my age here, ladies on the forum. There may be another reason why more do not join, and that is that many do not like to "play" on computers. My wife uses a computer at work, but less than I do. When she comes home she doesn't even check her email regularly. She flat tells me she doesn't want to get on the computer.

Another possibility is that a much larger percentage of men are into gadgets and mechanical things. No doubt about it a gun board no matter what it's focus is to a large extent about gadgets and mechanical things. Just think about the number of home workshops, hot rods, motorcycles, ATVs, etc that we males have. The old saying, "The difference between men and boy is the price of their toys" is accurate. We get into mechanical things.

One other thing about us males is that we think differently from females. That's good because there are things that our way of thinking is best for and things that the ladies way of thinking is best for. Males have one track minds. We start to thinking about something and it is thought about to the exclusion of other things. If the need is concentration and single-mindedness the male is the one to give the job to. Our single-mindedness is just short of obsession. It is very easy for a male to become obsessed. If the need is for multitasking and bringing to bear outside the box thought on a subject the female is the choice. The reason they can bring outside the box idea in is because they are not single minded. What does this have to do with why we don't have more ladies? Think about it. This board is about one thing, we talk about one thing, we concentrate on one thing. The ladies probably get bored very quickly with our discussions. How many times can we fight the caliber wars? How many times can we discuss any of the things that are recurring themes here? For males the answer is: an infinite number of times. For the ladies I suspect the answer is: once.

I really would like to have more of that multitasking, thinking outside the box type of input here, but I am afraid that we will have to be satisfied with those special ladies who can stand to deal with our single-mindedness on a frequent basis because most of the ladies are not able to do it.

To the ladies who frequent CombatCarry, I apologize if I have misrepresented you. I really don't believe I have. I have a little experience in understanding ladies: for the past eleven and a half years I have worked at a woman's college. For the first seven years I was director of information technology. The "cmg" in my user name was given to me by the students. They called me ComputerMan George and after a few months shortened that to CMG. For the past four and a half years I have been the reference librarian. Both of these positions have brought me into contact with the student in a way that is different than that of the faculty and administration. When I needed student workers to help with computer maintenance I would get one or two a year. In a coed school I would have had to turn away guys who would volunteer to do the work for free. In the library I see some of the multitasking going on. I see a young lady writing a paper, surfing the net, doing IM, listening to her IPOD, carrying on a conversation with someone on the cell phone, reading and answering email while talking to her friend at the next computer. It makes my head hurt. I can listen to the IPOD while reading CombatCarry, but only with enough concentration to catch a tune or so.

Ladies, thank you for putting up with us and for joining CombatCarry. Please give us the benefit of your different thinking style by posting often.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Well, since I've been hanging around and not posting, guess it's time to fess up.... yep, I'm a girl

I am a female too. Here is a picture of me with my anniversary present from my husband last year.... a Beretta 20 gauge over under shotgun.

I have gotten so much great information and advice on this forum, and wanted to say thanks! I also like the fact that I can come on here, and know that there are so many people like me who want to preserve/defend our firearm rights. It is a good feeling knowing that there are others like me.

I think the moderators do an excellent job making this place friendly to all. Great job!

I find that when I talk to my women friends about guns, they are like "oh sure, we'll go shooting sometime", but then they never follow through on it. It seems like my gun hobby is something that they just tolerate in me. When the conversation is about family, shopping, vacations, etc., it is normal, but when I talk of guns/shooting/carrying, I seem to always get these strange looks from them. They think I'm like GI Jane or something. I try explaining why I carry, and how important it is to me, but they just don't get it. Once I tried to get a friend to go to a women's self-defense class with me, but she brushed me off. This is coming from a friend who popped a tire in the inner-city, and followed some guys to their house for them to fix it! She really could use a common sense class!

It will be an uphill battle to get more women interested.

Now, me and my Glock are off to go shopping

My wife reads alot, but doesn't post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links