Women, Guns and this Forum

This is a discussion on Women, Guns and this Forum within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope the mods will forgive me if I start a thread where one may already exist, but searching on "women" and "guns" on this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women, Guns and this Forum

Women, Guns and this Forum

I hope the mods will forgive me if I start a thread where one may already exist, but searching on "women" and "guns" on this very busy forum would probably bring back a zillion hits.

I'm just curious, does anyone know the ratio of men to women on here? I've seen some fellow women-who-love-guns, which is very cool.

I'm having a blast here, looking around, reading real-life stories, thinking about "What if?" scenarios, reading the great advice and information from experienced CCWers. Everyone's been most helpful, friendly and courteous.

(BTW, that's not me in that avatar... that's a guy. Robert Culp as Bill Maxwell. "Happiness is a Warm Pistol." He gripes, because he said the dummies left the "a" off "pistola.")
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I know we have a few women on here who post, but not nearly as many as men. Not that it matters, anyone who wants to defend themselves and discuss issues is welcome here.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    As members probably 500:1
    As posters probably 2500:1

I have found that while women will carry and are interested in self defense many eschew forums such as this for whatever reason. Us guys are much more active on forums. My wife is an NRA instructor and CHP holder but will not even read this forum (or any other) unless I drag her to the computer. Just not her thing.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    We have a few that post and some more that read but, not enough.

The females are sort of like the rare jewels here.

We need more active and participating females & their unique perspective on everything in general and nothing in specific. (hint hint)

Our one highly treasured Lead Moderator is a phenomenal and talented female and quite accomplished and deadly with a firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    We might not have more that about a dozen, and it seems like they don't post much.

We do try and make sure that the forum is both female and "kid" friendly, and try hard to make every one feel welcome.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    As members probably 500:1
    As posters probably 2500:1

I have found that while women will carry and are interested in self defense many eschew forums such as this for whatever reason. Us guys are much more active on forums. My wife is an NRA instructor and CHP holder but will not even read this forum (or any other) unless I drag her to the computer. Just not her thing.
    I agree. My wife has carried for 14 years now and is very interested in shooting and self defense. She is a great shot and just recently claimed my XD .40sc as her own when I mentioned that I was considering selling it to finance the purchase of a S&W M&P .40. She had a little fit and said there was no way I was selling the XD and told me that she would take it if I was thinking of selling it. She carries it now. She gave me her SIG P239 in exchange.

But, I can hardly get her to look at this site. She does from time to time and she says hse has learned things from reading it but she has no real interest in posting here herself.

I don't understand it. I just roll with it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    We do try and make sure that the forum is both female and "kid" friendly, and try hard to make every one feel welcome.
    Thanks, rstickle, and everyone else. I'm having a blast on here, like I said. And I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences as I learn the ropes about CCW! Reading all of the advice on what I can expect has been most helpful.

I'm excited, because I'll be applying for my CPL this week!
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

I agree, we need more women posting here. I really enjoy reading their perspective on the various issues we discuss and LOVE to see women at the shooting range when I go - generally speaking, their technique and focus are excellent.

The one and only time I got to shoot a Para LDA (very nice gun BTW) was due to a lady who was there practicing with her husband ... it was her primary carry too. Gotta' love a woman with a .45!
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlekos View Post
    I'm excited, because I'll be applying for my CPL this week!
    Good luck with that!!
    Rick

yes it would be nice to hear from the women. to hear how they picked out their carry gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Assistant Administrator
    Well - most answers have covered it well but for sure seattlekos - it is most refreshing to have ladies not only on board but active too.

I worry sometimes that ladies feel intimidated among so many guys, when in truth they shouldn't. I guess too for some reason it is the guys who mostly want to discuss and research all the subject so much.

I think I can say that the vast majority here are heavily in favor of ladies being armed - and we'd even concede often too that the ladies are darned good shots very often
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I worry sometimes that ladies feel intimidated among so many guys, when in truth they shouldn't.
    Not a lot of women shooters are gung-ho enough about guns to find a forum about guns, especially one dedicated to carrying them.

The other reason is I think some women are intimidated to be around a male dominated forum. I believe in many cases, it was hard for a lot of us to get into shooting in the first place, because of the condescending jerks who tried to keep us from shooting or treated us like we were stupid because "women aren't allowed in the men's ultimate clubhouse." Similar thing - I was talked down to frequently when I worked at a hardware store.

One jerk can turn a woman off the subject permanently.

And for some odd reason, oftentimes those same jerks also happen to be the same guys who whine about being single because they can't find a woman who loves guns.

So by the time we do get to carrying, I think a lot of us feel like we're still not welcome and just don't even bother joining a forum because we're tired of the condescending jerks who unfortunately stain the rest of the forum. It's like avoiding an entire party because the one person you don't like might be there. And that's a shame, the majority of gun guys are good gun guys.

I wish there were more women here.

But that's okay, I like you hanging around you guys anyway.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    We have a few that post and some more that read but, not enough.

The females are sort of like the rare jewels here.

We need more active and participating females & their unique perspective on everything in general and nothing in specific. (hint hint)

Our one highly treasured Lead Moderator is a phenomenal and talented female and quite accomplished and deadly with a firearm.
    +1
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    But that's okay, I like you hanging around you guys anyway.
    You have a funny way of showing it!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    ... the majority of gun guys are good gun guys....
    ...and then there's Bud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links