I so hate SHOT Show!

I so hate SHOT Show!

This is a discussion on I so hate SHOT Show! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Because I now want to own the following I saw over the past two days alone: - Kel-Tec RFB (7.62mm NATO bullpup rifle that takes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I so hate SHOT Show!

VIP Member

I so hate SHOT Show!

Because I now want to own the following I saw over the past two days alone:

- Kel-Tec RFB (7.62mm NATO bullpup rifle that takes FAL metric mags and a front-ejection "hole" which ejects empties or loaded cartridges nose-first!; will be available in 18", 24", and 32" barrel lengths....won't be cheap though, MSRP to be $2000, $2500, and $3000, respectively)
    - Mag-Pul MASADA 5.56mm/7.62x39mm rifle and carbine (think a FN SCAR looking rifle that is completely modular taking both AK and AR mag assemblies and interchangeable barrels and stocks)
    - Microtech STG-556 (a USA-made Steyr AUG!...with some differences)
    - Springfield Armory's XD45 Compact Tactical (5" barrel)
    - S&W's M&P45 (with a frame-mounted manual safety)
    - Beretta Px4 Storm Special Duty (.45 ACP caliber with an earthtone/tan frame, extra-length barrel, and finish different from other Beretta guns to compete in USSOCCOM and/or future US military pistol trials)
    - Kahr PM45 (smaller sister to the P45...but not too small: 5 + 1 capacity)
    - Lew Horton S&W Registered Magnums: M27 (blued 8-shot .357 Magnum in 3.5" and 5" versions); M24 (3" .44 Spl in blued and nickel versions); M25 (3" .45 ACP in blued and nickel versions); and M29 (3" .44 Magnum in blued and nickel versions)
    - Lew Horton Arsenal SLR 106FR (5.56mm AK with a AK-74M-type side-folding plastic stock and side rail on the receiver)
    - Sabre Defence/Sphinx Arms 3000 series (absolutely beautiful CZ-75 clones!)

Other nice guns:

- Kimber Aegis line expanded to 5" and 4" guns (both in 9mm)
    - Kahr TP45 (bigger sister to the P45)
    - Bushmaster .450 Rifle (an A3 20" barreled 9-round gun firing a round developed in conjunction with Hornady; this is one big honking round made to smoke hogs...or tanks...with no problems) I'm kidding about the tanks, but testing on engine blocks is soon to commence according to Bushmaster.

The Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact was ok....fit my hand well, but I dunno about folks with larger hands. It certainly won't win any beauty contests. Still, I'd like to shoot one.

The HK45 was ok....I liked the M&P45 more since it fit my hand better.

I'm sure there are lots other new guns, but I haven't gone through half of SHOT Show.....(better hurry srfl!)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I would love to get one of those Masada Rifles. As a matter of principle (mainly because I'm poor) I refuse to spend more than a grand for a firearm, but I would make an exception for that rifle.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    I gotta agree w/ Dakota. That is a great looking rifle.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Man that ejection system on that Kel-Tec looks like a nightmare to me for the rifles intended useage. I do belive that i will stick with an ejection port , and the more robustly it flings brass the better i like it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

That Keltec rifle is interesting. Interested in the Px4 in .45 too!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Assistant Administrator
    I dare not even look - temptation is a terrible thing!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    What Chris said!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

An M&P 45 with a frame mounted safety? OHooooo! I like the sound of that.

Can't wait to see that one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Today's sightings (not all inclusive though....I might have missed a lot of things while drooling at specific items):

- Colt M5 (Advanced Military Carbine): Yes, Colt has finally introduced their gas-piston AR! Available with 16" or 14.5" barrels and a "new revolutionary handguard system that allows for easy mounting of accessories and maintains 100% zero at all times." Ok....oh, and a four-position retractable stock. I do not know is this will be available for private citizen sales...the display model was in the LE/Military section.

- SIGARMS P220 Compact: I had no idea these existed. They are 6+1 in capacity with a pronounced beavertail. They are available in a "standard," two-tone, SAO-trigger, SAO two-tone, and SAS with DAK-trigger (sweet!!) NOTE: this gun wasn't displayed at SHOT, it will be available later this year, but not yet; it was in their latest catalog....sorry for any confusion!

- Para-Ordnance Carry Safe LDA 9C, product # CWX89RC: This gun is AWESOME! Think of a 9mm 1911 the size of the Kimber Aegis II but with PO's excellent (to me at least) super-short and smooth DAO trigger. Note: PO will also have a slightly larger version who's name escapes me now since I was too occupied with the Carry Safe. I believe the mag holds eight rounds of 9mm (plus one).

- Charter Arms .38 Southpaw: Get this....it's an Undercover .38 Spl 2" barreled revolver with its cylinder opening latch is on the right-side of the gun; hence its cylinder opens on the right-side!! Lefties rejoice!

- Century International Arms, Inc. (CIAI) Israeli Galil: Yup, the Galil is back for just $800. You get a 16" barreled Galil in 5.56mm with a folding stock. These are new rifles according to a CIAI rep I spoke to. It was very solidly made; much better than all of the AK's CIAI had on display.

- CIAI Romanian Bullpup AK: an interesting bullpup in 7.62x39mm. Its iron sights are mounted really high, but I got a really good checkweld and proper sight alignment. It seem to be well made. I did not ask who made it.

- Cylinder & Slide custom .45 ACP: It wasn't a 1911. It was a "Pocket .45"...I don't recall the name; I was in shock when I saw it...it essentially was a Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless Model .380 ACP...but on steriods and chambered in .45 ACP. It had a manual safety, very low profile sights and was absolutely beautiful.....and expensive: over $5,000. One sold that day. Bill Laughridge and crew are debating making more.

Glock 21SF: A Glock 21 with a Picatinny rail, ambi mag release, and slightly different grip...different enough that it actually fit my hands. Now listen to me Glock: make a G20SF and I will buy one today.

Colt Special Combat Government: a Colt Custom Shop 1911 available in .45 ACP or .38 Super; two-toned or bright stainless finishes....a beautiful 1911 with an excellent trigger! MSRP for this will be $1,543.

TG International Legion S22 and S22M target rifles: a very attractive wood stocked, bull-barreled .22 LR (S22) or .22 Magnum (S22M) rifles made by Izhmash in Russia. It has a really unique toggle action (pull the toggle to rear to eject the empty cases): http://www.tgiguns.com/legion.html

Taurus 24/7 OSS: This has been seen around the internet, but I have to say that no other "hi-cap" (12-round magazine) .45 ACP fits my hand better than this gun. The grip is very small in circumference. I think this gun is even ever-so-slightly smaller in that regard than the XD45 and certainly less than the M&P45. The HK45 and G21SF feel huge by comparison....to me at least. I like that this gun has a manual safety (I know some of you don't care for manual safeties); an additional cool thing about that is you can carry this gun "cocked and locked"; bad thing to me is that all of the left-side controls look pretty much alike and are very close to each other. Their product brochure states that the gun has a "Novak" sight....if it does, someone needs to tell their art department that, cause they have pictured a Heine rear sight (which is on the guns I saw).......but.....

....Taurus had one of their 1911's customized by Novak! It was a work of art! Their shark-pattern stippling on the top the slide; perfect checkering on the front strap, their patented sights, beautiful stocks, the works.....I wish I took a photo of it!

Hmmm....what else? Oh, I spotted an M2-type spade grip/butterfly trigger assembly (made by KNS Precision, Inc.) for the AR. The display model was mounted on top of a German MG42 AA tripod with a Picatinny adapter rail also made by KNS. That folks, was wild looking. To see what I mean, go to http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/Gun%20Parts.htm and scroll approx. 2/3rd's of the way down.

PentagonLight had a very cool little administrative flashlight: the MOLLE Light. Think a miniature GI angle-head flashlight with a 0.5 watt LED lamp, clip, color light filter, and optional compass.

Oh....I met our very own married tactical-twosome Betty and mrshonts....very cool folks! I hope they get home safe and sound.

Well I hate SHOT show cause I can't go. I don't want people telling me about what they saw, I want to see it myself. Besides I figure ,Why drool over somthing that won't be out for months.

I'll buy that southpaw .38 on principle I think.

The cheap Galil is awesome too!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

SHOT was a blast! This was my first time attending, but it was truly amazing.

I got to meet Betty and MrShonts the other day. Both super nice folks. Got to meet srfl today - alongside I-4 enroute to the show. I enjoyed that meeting as well.

I was amazed at the multitude of products available in every shape and size. There were a bunch of cool guns to view/handle.

VIP Member
    It was great meeting you K-Man....funny way of meeting!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I went about four years ago in Vegas and it was a gun-lover's dream come true. My favorite was the .50 cal simulator. On the other hand I was depressed after a day at all there was out there to buy. So much time so little money.

lol
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links