Household Income Declining

This is a discussion on Household Income Declining within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought I'd post this little ray of sunshine. The "economic recovery" that is supposedly happening, seems to be mostly anecdotal (or completely made up). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Household Income Declining

Household Income Declining

Just thought I'd post this little ray of sunshine. The "economic recovery" that is supposedly happening, seems to be mostly anecdotal (or completely made up). Household income is down by 1/3.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/bu...less.html?_r=0
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

I wonder at what point people will understand that entitlements are not free.

GeorgiaCarry
    gatorbait51, Badey and msgt/ret like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That article is simply TOO big of a buzz-kill for a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Thanks for nothing, Badey!
    atctimmy, Sister, Badey and 1 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Perhaps in RL Badey is a weatherman/meteorologist.
    Badey likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Perhaps in RL Badey is a weatherman/meteorologist.
    Well, he can certainly point out an ill wind... When its blowin'.
    scottync likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post
    I wonder at what point people will understand that entitlements are not free.

GeorgiaCarry
    Problem is, they are referring to everyone's Social Security money as "entitlements" now. When did big gov decide my (and your) money is their money and when they wish they can entitle me (you) to it. It's messed up I tell ya!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

It's a worrying trend. Not much analysis in that article. My suspicion is that a great number of people took on new jobs at vastly lower salaries, and haven't been able to recover. As the article mentions, net wealth did rise in that time period, just not for the average person.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I also often hear people referring to Social Security as an "entitlement". I also hear them talking as if defaulting on the money they "borrowed" from it is fiscal responsibility. People have taken lower paying jobs. Others have quit trying to work. Unless we as a country make working more rewarding than taking unearned government aid we are in deep doo doo!

Yah know how if we hear a politician, when asked does he support the 2nd Amendment, say something like "Yes! I like hunting! Of course there should be reasonable limits", we know he doesnt get it, and is the wrong man for the job.

Its the same way with the word "entitlement", and Social Security. We are "entitled" to Social Security because we have paid for it all our lives, and that was the deal made with us.

We dont need to run from that word, rather we need to start listening to politicians flim flamming us with their fancy patter, and making us think they are talking about "the other guys" getting "entitlements", (that we assume he should not get), when that same politician, (like the ones who claim to like the 2nd Amendment, but want to take guns away from us), really wants to end programs like Social Security, and let us all end up working till we die, as there will be no retirement for any but the mega rich....who bought the politicians to say just that.

As far as declining income goes, surely most here already knew that. My clients used to simply pay me up front. Now its a major effort for them to pay. Most want to make payments over time. Or "work it off", trade services, you name it. Of course the electric, water & gas utilities want cash, not barter, so it gets interesting during hard times.
    Sister likes this.

Ours is becoming a stratified society, with declining hope of moving up from the bottom. I don't believe a democracy can be viable in such an environment.
    The Rich have assets the Poor have debts.jpg
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

VIP Member

Friends, it's no bed of roses for us in the upper strata

While the aforementioned study is interesting, it is without question biased against the citizens who occupy lofty stations in our society (such as myself).

Case in point - several of my summer homes in Nice, France, are now worth less than 50% of what I paid for them. This is due to the precipitous decline in property values in France. I admit, I am partly to blame for this condition, as I thought one Mr. Holland was a longshot for the Presidency of France, and I did not mobilize my considerable purse strings in the French Government in time to sway the tide. So alas, once I recognized the threat, the toxic tide had already come in.

But what do my summer homes in France have to do with this? The study did not account for non-domestic residential holdings, and thus the retreat of global housing prices (which have been proportionally larger than those in the US) is not accounted when determining the net worth of people like me.

But you need not worry about my good fortune. Fortunately my most trusted man servant, Franklin, has been on top of the global housing market recently, and I've been able to acquire and turn numerous properties in Japan, Germany and the UK for tidy profits. And once again, my father's advice is proved sound: "Son, it doesn't matter how many Governments you buy if your own house is not in order."
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

After adjusting for inflation, we are earning less than we did in the 1970's.
    Several sources for this.

Add in the fact that the true inflation rate is just under 10%, using the same method used in 1980.
    That's before they started "fudging" how it is figured.
    StormRhydr, Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Add in the fact that the true inflation rate is just under 10%, using the same method used in 1980.
    That's before they started "fudging" how it is figured.
    What's your source on that?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Hmm... I've paid into SS now since 1955. I draw SS, but I still pay a whopping self-employment tax, up to the maximum annually, and which I'll bet exceeds the amount paid in by most on this board. So - am I a freeloader drawing a free entitlement from the federal teat? Don't make me laugh. Do a little independent thinking...

Don't worry though- the rich are richer than they've been since the Guilded Age. The middle clash shrinks while the upper crust is livin' larger and larger every decade.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links