Ebola outbreak

This is a discussion on Ebola outbreak within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone following this? Quite interesting. Ebola only a plane ride away from USA Makes you wonder what would happen if someone incubating this disease flew ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Ebola outbreak

VIP Member

Ebola outbreak

Anyone following this? Quite interesting.

Ebola only a plane ride away from USA

Makes you wonder what would happen if someone incubating this disease flew into Chicago or Atlanta, two of the busiest hubs in the US.

On a side note, if you are interested in a "behind the scenes" look at how professionals deal with these very deadly diseases, read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. What I found most interesting was how terrified some the professionals actually were when dealing with these diseases.
    Jeanlouise and Tzadik like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Anyone who has been to CBR school can tell you that learning and understanding all the nasty ways to die heightens the fear rather than taking it away.

I for one much prefer radiation to chemicals, and chemicals to biologics. Viruses are the hardest to detect and counter, and among the naturally occurring ones Ebola is the undisputed king of mortality and transmissibility.

It's very scary stuff. If it spreads any further they should shut down all of West Africa till it burns out, because as it's going it isn't going to stop anytime soon.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    My family gets upset when I say this but "Nothing good has ever come out of Africa!"
    Sister and elmacgyver0 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    My family gets upset when I say this but "Nothing good has ever come out of Africa!"
    Not quite, we all love Lions, Tigers and Bears and Elephants and Giraffes....

But I do get your point, watching the weather this morning I see Africa is sending another tropical depression towards the east coast.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Senior Moderator
    Well if you look at the latest pandemic models of disease (non-Mosquito born) spread out of Africa, it should show up in France first.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Really?

Im actually surprised that there hasnt been some "accident" occur there. You know, like some hellfire missiles "accidently" landing in the exact spot to clear everything out.

I would offer up Hakeem Olajuwon, Sade, Christiaan Neethling Barnard and Charlize Theron.
    ETXhiker, Sister and Badey like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

There is a new, even nastier strain of the disease now. It's called Ebola 300. You get it from wearing rented shoes.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Anyone who has been to CBR school can tell you that learning and understanding all the nasty ways to die heightens the fear rather than taking it away.

I for one much prefer radiation to chemicals, and chemicals to biologics. Viruses are the hardest to detect and counter, and among the naturally occurring ones Ebola is the undisputed king of mortality and transmissibility.

It's very scary stuff. If it spreads any further they should shut down all of West Africa till it burns out, because as it's going it isn't going to stop anytime soon.
    King of mortality for sure, but not transmissibility, thank god. It's not air borne, and not even very transmissible through sweat or saliva.
    CanuckQue likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I would offer up Hakeem Olajuwon, Sade, Christiaan Neethling Barnard and Charlize Theron.
    12037955_gal.jpgcharlize_monster-popstoptv1.jpgf5615e3d3f2f6c541082c41dbf51f2d3.jpg

I ain't got nothin' against Africa in general... but which Charlize Theron do you want...? the one we see airbrushed? the one from monster?

o the one dating Sean Penn the gun hater? .... charlize_theron_dating_sean_pe.jpg
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Wow, this one went off the rails quickly.
    DingBat and CIBMike like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Wow, this one went off the rails quickly.
    sorry 'bout that...
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Anyone following this? Quite interesting.

Ebola only a plane ride away from USA

Makes you wonder what would happen if someone incubating this disease flew into Chicago or Atlanta, two of the busiest hubs in the US.

On a side note, if you are interested in a "behind the scenes" look at how professionals deal with these very deadly diseases, read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. What I found most interesting was how terrified some the professionals actually were when dealing with these diseases.
    They are terrified for very good reasons.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWrunner View Post
    King of mortality for sure, but not transmissibility, thank god. It's not air borne, and not even very transmissible through sweat or saliva.
    The weaponized version, if it exists, can easily change all that.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links