300(new movie?) Thermopylae?

This is a discussion on 300(new movie?) Thermopylae? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just caught a glimpse of a preview on the idiot-tube while watching 24. It was for a movie called 300. It looks like it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just caught a glimpse of a preview on the idiot-tube while watching 24. It was for a movie called 300. It looks like it was about the battle of Thermopylae. I'm wondering if HollowWood is going to do it any justice.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Just caught a glimpse of a preview on the idiot-tube while watching 24. It was for a movie called 300. It looks like it was about the battle of Thermopylae. I'm wondering if HollowWood is going to do it any justice.
    Don't count on it.

Its based of Frank Miller's graphic novel (Sin City guy). So its prolly not really historically correct 100%.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; January 15th, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I just went and watched an extended preview for it online. You can tell just from the lack of full panoply (full greek hoplite armor), that the movie isn't going to be historically accurate. I like a lot of Frank Miller's work, and I am soon to have a B.A. in Military history, with a decent amount of that time studying Greeks, particularly the Spartans. I think that it will probably be a pretty entertaining flick, but I am not counting on it to be historically accurate.

As far as Thermopylae, most people forget that there were a couple of thousand other Greeks defending the pass with the Spartans, although the Spartan King dismissed them before the final day. The Spartans also each had at least one squire who helped them in battle. None of this will probably be portrayed accurately in the movie. Take it as what it is, not as a valid piece of historical work.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I really like Frank Millers work and I have been waiting for this movie for about 6 months. Ever since the trailers hit the internet.

Maybe not 100% accurate but Millers graphic novels are usually made into very visually thrilling movies.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I saw this trailer in the theater a while ago, too...

Coming from Hollywood, I would expect entertainment, but not education.

I really liked Frank Miller's Sin City movie...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

It will not be historically accurate. It should be a blast though. It was filmed almost entirely on green screen. I think they actually only had one scene shot on site.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I reckon it will be fun and entertaining
    .. and good for the warrior in ya!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Just saw the trailer, and it looks like great fun. Here's the link to the official site 300 The Movie. The section "Video Jounals" under "Making of 300" gives some of the film-makers insights into how and why he wanted to bring Frank Miller's grapic novel to life. As has been said, don't look for historicity, just revel in the tale.

Sin City 2 will be out in 2008, so there's something else to look forward to.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

There was a thread on this topic a few months back. Molon Labe was the title I think. There was some pretty interesting discussion if anyone wants to search it.

I will be seeing the movie when I can, because I'm all about anything to do with the Spartans.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I thought I would give this a bump, because I just saw the movie yesterday. Unfortunately all my friends wanted to go see IMAX, and the IMAX place around here sells alcohol, so no carry for me

However, the movie was absolutely amazing. I don't know a single person who has seen it, and not liked the film. Females are included in that as well. The visuals in it are stunning, even better than Sin City, which I was also a huge fan of.

Yeah, I put aside that history degree I almost have and all those books I have read. But on most of the major points it was accurate.

The best movie that I have seen in quite some time. I highly reccomend it. The only problem, is that you will find yourself regretting you hadn't been born 2500 years ago in Sparta.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    I saw it on Friday...WOW! It's definitely worth seeing on the big screen..

This movie will jump-start your inner-warrior...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I also saw 300 Friday night with my brother and a few friends. I have long been a fan of Frank Miller's work, and I think only he could have made a movie which really depicts the warrior spirit. If you get a chance, check out his graphic novel 300, on which the movie was based.

I'm no Ebert or Roper, but 300 gets my !

Go tell the Spartans, passerby,
    That here, by Spartan law, we lie.

Like buckeye07 said, accurate on major historical points and really good. We saw it Friday night after we got off work. My supervisor's wife is in the desert at the moment so we got a babysitter for his daughter and dragged him out with us. We all needed the break.

I don't know about the rest of you, but one of my favorite parts was when they all laughed.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I don't know about the rest of you, but one of my favorite parts was when they all laughed.
    Yeah, that was pretty good. Surprisingly, Herodotus is pretty much the major source on the battle (written approzimately 50 years after the battle). And the quote about "fighting in the shade" is from his writings, not some Hollywierd writer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links