To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil.

This is a discussion on To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil." Where Did That (Above) Quote Come From? Because this is just driving ...

Thread: To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil.

Administrator

To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil.

"To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil."
    Where Did That (Above) Quote Come From?
    Because this is just driving me bonkers.
    Is it Biblical? Yes? No? - So............Where did it originate? Anybody Know?
    And for sure this is not to (in any way) slam BassDaddy777 who (I think) added some real thought provoking comments into his first CombatCarry thread. I just did not want to Hijack his thread by sidetracking it with this.

I guarantee & I will bet you that I could put any human being that has not yet been canonized as a Saint (no matter how moral or good) into a hypothetical situation where they WILL place the value of one human life over another & they will play the "role" of executioner.
    I don't even have a specific scenario in mind yet - but I KNOW I could think about it for 30 minutes & come up with a solid one. Any Takers?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I don't know where that exact quote came from but there is a very similar one from Confucius;
    "To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice."
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    "To know good and not do it, is the same as doing evil."

I guarantee & I will bet you that I could put any human being that has not yet been canonized as a Saint (no matter how moral or good) into a hypothetical situation where they WILL place the value of one human life over another & they will play the "role" of executioner.
    I don't even have a specific scenario in mind yet - but I KNOW I could think about it for 30 minutes & come up with a solid one. Any Takers?
    Well, QKShooter, I did a Google search and couldn't find a reference to that quote, but I think I have heard it, or something similar before.

And I agree with you about the putting someone in the situation where they would put more value in one life than another. I believe it would be very easy. Some may not like admitting it, but I am not one of them. I place more value in the lives of my family than others, including my own life, children over adults, elderly over punks, GG over a BG, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Imagine telling a mother that her child or this person must die....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I prefer to say "Evil succeeds where good men do nothing."

I wish I could solve all the world's problems, but I have to be a little selfish. I can't do any good at all if I'm exhausted or dead.

Love thy neighbor as you love thyself.

Love thyself. Everyone forgets that part.

And sometimes it's not my place to step in and play some kind of superhero. Some people wouldn't be happy if they weren't so miserable.

Administrator

Got It

It's from James...Biblical.
    Good comments acparmed Bumper & Euclidean - Thanks folks!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links