Warning ~ Don't Ever Get This Thirsty For A Nintendo Game.

This is a discussion on Warning ~ Don't Ever Get This Thirsty For A Nintendo Game. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Probe Death After Radio Contest By JULIET WILLIAMS AP SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Jan. 18) - As participants in KDND-FM's water-drinking contest chugged bottle after bottle, ...

Thread: Warning ~ Don't Ever Get This Thirsty For A Nintendo Game.

Administrator

Question Warning ~ Don't Ever Get This Thirsty For A Nintendo Game.

Police Probe Death After Radio Contest
    By JULIET WILLIAMS
    AP
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Jan. 18) - As participants in KDND-FM's water-drinking contest chugged bottle after bottle, a listener called in to warn the disc jockeys that the stunt could be fatal.

"Yeah, we're aware of that," one of them responded.

Another DJ said with a laugh: "Yeah, they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK."

Those comments, and others made during the Jan. 12 "Morning Rave" radio show, appeared to give little regard to the risk of water intoxication. But just hours after the contest, a woman who guzzled nearly two gallons was dead.

On Wednesday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department launched a criminal investigation into the incident, and attorneys for the family of Jennifer Lea Strange said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the radio station.

The county coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicate Strange, a 28-year-old mother of three, died of water intoxication.
    Authorities decided to pursue the investigation after listening to a tape of the show, obtained by The Sacramento Bee, during which DJs joked about the possible dangers of consuming too much water, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said. At one point, the DJs even alluded to a college student who died during a similar stunt in 2005.

Strange was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by determining how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom.

Several hours into the contest, Strange was interviewed on the air and complained that her head hurt.

"They keep telling me that it's the water. That it will tell my head to hurt and then it will make me puke," she said.
    Eventually, Strange gave in and accepted the second-place prize: tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert. She commented that she looked pregnant, and a female DJ agreed.

"Oh, my gosh, look at that belly. That's full of water. ... Come on over, Jennifer, you OK?" a male DJ asked. "You going to pass out right now? Too much water?"

Several hours later, Strange was found dead in her home.
    On Tuesday, KDND's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, fired 10 employees connected to the contest, including three morning disc jockeys. The company also took the morning show off the air.

Station spokesman Charles Sipkins said Wednesday the company had not yet heard from the sheriff's department but that it would cooperate with the investigation.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Police Probe Death After Radio Contest

Another DJ said with a laugh: "Yeah, they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK."
    Kind of makes you wonder...... Maybe there is no legal responsibility (I'm sure some lawyer will find a loop hole there), but what about a social responsibility?

I'm kind of mixed on this one, it's a shame that some are held responsible for others stupidity. Then again it's a shame that there are those that are so stupid.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder...... Maybe there is no legal responsibility (I'm sure some lawyer will find a loop hole there), but what about a social responsibility?

I'm kind of mixed on this one, it's a shame that some are held responsible for others stupidity. Then again it's a shame that there are those that are so stupid.
    It's just chlorine. Some distribute it, some suffer the side effects. The children left behind are the tragedy.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Assistant Administrator
    I have a ''thing'' about any of these ''excess'' type competitions. I recall as a small kid having a water drinking contest with a buddy - we were surprisingly ill!!

I also find it gross watching already oversize guys trying to put away ''x'' many burgers, dogs or steaks etc ...... I find glutony very offensive - and that's how it comes over.

There will tho I guess always be folks prepared to attempt some excess just for kicks or prizes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    stupidity kills.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

We've been told about death by drinking too much water back in boot camp. I went to South Carolina between July and Oct in 98. Our DI's made us drink two whole canteens of water in front of them, and told us about the "good ole days" when they made recruits drink three but had to stop because of the death of a recruit that was forced to drink. Now they say "hydrate yourself often, or if you pass out, the Corpsman will give you the Silver Bullet." The silver bullet is used to take your core tempreture, and I won't even begin to tell you where it gets inserted. Just knowing where, is enough motovation to keep most people hydrated.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Hyponatremia is incredibly dangerous. Not many people know about it, either. I've personally never seen it but its supposed to be nasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator

Question Water Intoxication

I am going from memory of a past case (a college student) & could be totally wrong by I think that much of an excess of water dilutes the body electrolytes & then you die when things start to shut down.

Does anybody know for sure?

Administrator

Thumbs up Never Mind

I just caught the Wikipedia link. Thanks!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Its why I hang around. lol
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I heard something about ti that the police were pursing leads but since i was stopping to go into a house i didn't get to hear everything .. thats to bad for the kids

If she signed a waiver then so what, it's not the radio station's fault. Darwin Award imo.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It's just chlorine. Some distribute it, some suffer the side effects. The children left behind are the tragedy.
    It is not the chlorine and the effects thereof. It has to do with the decreased osmolarity of the blood that occurs as the result of drinking excess free water. Hyponatremia is the end result. It can lead to swelling of the brain as the osmotic forces try to equalize the osmolarity bith inside and outside the cells. Recall, that if you put limp celery in cold water, it will get crisp again... that is because there is more osmolarity (has to do with things dissolved in water) inside the celery than in the free water. The celery becomes crisp because water travels into the celery cells and causes swelling. This is the same process that occurs in the brain. It is called cerebral edema and well... people die. That is why, people are hospitalized for low sodium in the blood (hyponatremia) and it is corrected slowly. If it is corrected to quickly, people can develop irreversible brain injury.

The radio DJs can very well be toast for this one and the radio station is liable for this if someone pushes the issue. What a bunch of rejects. This would be the same as setting up a Russian roulette game and having people sign waivers. The person setting up the game would be toast. I rarely ever suggest this, but I think that the family of the mother should sue and the station harshly censored.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by newmexiglock View Post
    It is not the chlorine and the effects thereof. It has to do with the decreased osmolarity of the blood that occurs as the result of drinking excess free water. Hyponatremia is the end result. It can lead to swelling of the brain as the osmotic forces try to equalize the osmolarity bith inside and outside the cells. Recall, that if you put limp celery in cold water, it will get crisp again... that is because there is more osmolarity (has to do with things dissolved in water) inside the celery than in the free water. The celery becomes crisp because water travels into the celery cells and causes swelling. This is the same process that occurs in the brain. It is called cerebral edema and well... people die. That is why, people are hospitalized for low sodium in the blood (hyponatremia) and it is corrected slowly. If it is corrected to quickly, people can develop irreversible brain injury.

The radio DJs can very well be toast for this one and the radio station is liable for this if someone pushes the issue. What a bunch of rejects. This would be the same as setting up a Russian roulette game and having people sign waivers. The person setting up the game would be toast. I rarely ever suggest this, but I think that the family of the mother should sue and the station harshly censored.
    I think he meant chlorine in the gene pool, not the water she drank!

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by newmexiglock View Post
    ............This would be the same as setting up a Russian roulette game and having people sign waivers. The person setting up the game would be toast............
    Great analogy!

Yep.....Chlorine for the gene pool..........or to say it another way.......the gene pool there was too shallow for "diving"...............or stay outta that "pool"..............

Cerebral edema can also be triggered at high altitudes, but I think the station has probably given up on this defense strategy..........since they weren't on K2.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Links