Car fire

Car fire

This is a discussion on Car fire within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought you guys would enjoy this little story. Yesterday while drive north on RT 495 in Merrimac Mass, I saw a car over on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Car fire

Car fire

Just thought you guys would enjoy this little story.

Yesterday while drive north on RT 495 in Merrimac Mass, I saw a car over on the side of the highway with it's flashers on. I noticed steam coming from it. As I got closer, I saw that it was gray, not white, and knew something was burning. Closer yet, the smoke got much denser and blacker. I pulled over, well in front of the car, a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, and got out to make sure all was well. The drivers door was open and looking inside I saw no one. I wondered where the driver was when I heard someone yelling at me. I looked into the woods and saw a middle aged guy with a cell phone glued to his head. He was yelling at me to get away because the car was going to explode! I walked over to him and asked if he got everything out that was important and he said he did. I asked if he called 911 and he said he was on the phone with them as we spoke. I asked if he had a ride and he said he did.
    He said he was driving along and smelled something burning, then the engine died so he coasted over the the side. When he stopped he saw the smoke, grabbed his briefcase and ran. Probably an electrical fire. I waited with him for about 10 minutes until the FD got there and by then the old Tahoe was cookin'! Said my good byes and headed for home. Felt bad for the guy.
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

VIP Member
    We call them a Car-B-Que .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Poor guy. That's gotta be scary as all get out having your car catch fire.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Sounds like he may have seen a few too many movies, but better safe than sorry. Hope he has good insurance.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    It’s going to explode. He’s been watching too many movies, I have seen a few cars burn and none have gone up in a brilliant blinding explosion like in the movies, at most just a pop as the tires burn through.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It’s going to explode. He’s been watching too many movies, I have seen a few cars burn and none have gone up in a brilliant blinding explosion like in the movies, at most just a pop as the tires burn through.
    I saw a movie recently where a cab t-bones a car while it's doing about 40, and the passenger compartment INSTANTLY bursts into a gigantic fireball. Unless the passenger happened to be carrying a large incendiary device, it seemed... unlikely.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Scary story. Good job on stopping to check on the guy and offer assistance! That's kind of rare in today's world.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

One time Bear was in a truck stop in Missouri when a driver had the same problem. He was driving along and smelled smoke so he got off the interstate and pulled into the truck stop. As he was pulling in flames started showing around the hood. His first thought was to buy a fire extinguisher to try and save his Chevy (get this) Blazer! The trouble is he relied on habit and pulled up to the gas pumps to run in to get the extinguisher! The management freaked out and one of them ran and got a front end loader and pushed the Blazer off the gas island and into a ditch. The truck was a complete loss. The volunteer fire department showed up and it was as entertaining as the Key Stone Cops! First their hose was too short, then they could not get the water flowing, and finally one of the fire fighters reached over to open the hood... without gloves on... he sure let go fast!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The GM Grinch strikes again...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep...

General Motors...

They've gone downhill the past 30 years. Way downhill.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's probably nothing a couple billion in taxpayer dollars can't fix.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Years ago my old Bronco caught fire due to poor wiring on my part. Lost the entire engine wiring harness. Cost me $500 for a new harness.

Years later I had a Caddy fire 95% out by the time the fire truck arrived using a single 10# ABC extinguisher. The tires were fully involved when I got there. Three fools stood by 15 yards away.

I carry 3 fire extinguishers in my truck.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Buy an old MG and learn how to put out car fires like an expert. My old "B" let me practice about 2 to 3 times a year. I really do miss that car, but not the fires.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I spent too many years as a call firefighter not to stop. It was all I could do not to laugh when I saw how panicked he was about the car exploding. When the FD arrived, the tires in front were burning but no pop yet. There's a lot of plastic in the newer cars and it burns real good.

I really just wanted to make sure everyone was out of the car. Glad to see he was alone.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Buy an old MG and learn how to put out car fires like an expert. My old "B" let me practice about 2 to 3 times a year. I really do miss that car, but not the fires.
    Do you remember the Fiat X1/9, those things were so notorious for catching fire they should have come with a built-in fire extinguisher.

Fiat X1/9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links