Thoughts about watching sheeple

This is a discussion on Thoughts about watching sheeple within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This quarter I have to take a class on sociological research in order to finish up my minor in criminology. Today during class the teacher ...

Thread: Thoughts about watching sheeple

Thoughts about watching sheeple

This quarter I have to take a class on sociological research in order to finish up my minor in criminology. Today during class the teacher decided that that we should all go spend 30 minutes just watching people around campus. So, despite it being about 25 degrees out, I decided to find a nice bench in the middle of an open area, open up my notebook, and start writing about what I observed. Now, I used to work in an amusement park selling cokes from a cart in the middle of a "street", and I stand on barstools for 16 hours on football game days watching the people in the club. Just watching people isn't anything new for me, in fact sometimes when I'm bored I'll just go find a busy place to do it.

This time around though, I started keeping track of stuff, and I was really pretty dismayed by what I saw. I don't believe I saw a single sheepdog out of the maybe 200-300 people who walked by. Maybe it was the weather, but everyone just seemed to walk with their heads down, and avoided making eye contact with anyone. I would think it a bit odd if a guy sitting in a courtyard looked at me and wrote something down (although it is college and I know this sort of stuff happens all the time around here so it isn't too odd), I'd at least probably make eye contact with them. Very few people did. Almost everyone was walking alone.

Everyone is walking around with Ipods or cell phones stuck to their ears, oblivious to everything around them. Nobody even seemed to acknowledge the presence of other people, aside from the guys who gawk at the pretty young ladies. When I walk, I usually keep my head up and moving around, and look people in their eyes, nobody else on campus does this apparently.

It was rather disheartening to see how much condition white there was on campus. Ya know, if you sit down and look, it really isn't hard to see why they are considered sheep.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

My campus can relate to yours pretty well. Ipods, cell phones, anything electronic that keeps them occupied until they get to where they are going. There are some who make eye contact with me, but those are few and far between. People are oblivious to the obvious... many people here walk right out in front of cars, not hearing them either coming or squealing their tires. I let those that I care about know that they should be aware of their surroundings at all times (not just for bad guys, but for those icy spots and such). Fortunately, they know to pay attention to their environment.

Assistant Administrator
    I observe folks in Wally World, in fact any stores and come to same conclusion!! In fact a mall is one heck of a place to go spotting

I am amazed often - and most so by this scourge of iPod use and similar. I have to say - much as I like music, NOTHING will induce me to wander around with one of my prime senses ruined!!!

I guess us sheepdogs are a minority worthy of note!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I Will (ocassionally) Accompany My Wife...

to the local mall...just to watch people...few make eye contact...few would be aware of 'brewing trouble'...
    I too, am amazed by the who just seem to follow the herd...

Stay alert...stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    College is where most people learn to become good sheep.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Yeah, well its where I've learned the most about not being a sheep. Too bad most of my peers don't seem to see things the way that I do.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

One of my favorite things to do is go to the Mall and watch the sheep.
    I even see a few Wolves as well pacing around the sheep looking for the right victim. It is really a crazy world out there.

People watching can be enjoying at times. One particularly fun thing to do is go to the local mall where they have a Target with the shopping carts that can't go beyond a certain area. Essentially if you take the cart "out of the zone" the wheels lock up. There's one area along the side walk that has a bright yellow line saying don't pass here. Oh the fun watching people smack into their own carts as they stop on them.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Lead Moderator
    Sheep make my job easier. If everyone was aware and alert, finding Bg's would be more difficult. I can spot a predator or sheep dog pretty easy, but the sheep are the most common.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Oh the fun watching people smack into their own carts as they stop on them.

Too funny! "Where's the sign"?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sheep make my job easier..............I can spot a predator or sheep dog pretty easy, but the sheep are the most common.
    Makes it easier all the way around!

VIP Member
    Malls scare me. When you see these people walk around in complete oblivion, you can't help but note these people also drive and vote.

I've seen open purses swinging about that were easy to pickpocket, children running amok with no parents in sight, and... you know, the usual stupid mall stuff. I have neverending fascination that some people can live their entire lives on Planet Oblivion and somehow survive into fruitful adulthood.

One time my husband and I went to the mall (Opry Mills for all you locals), and this thug-like punk suddenly decided to dig in his pocket for his cell phone and carelessly and suddenly veered into me. All I could do was brace for impact, because I had Wall of Husband on the other side of me and I wasn't about end up sprawling all over the floor. So we hit, and the thug wheeled around and started shouting obscenities at me.

What a moron.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Links