Smokin' Aces

This is a discussion on Smokin' Aces within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, now that the theater up around campus has removed their gun-buster signs, I will once again go there to see a movie. A bunch ...

Thread: Smokin' Aces

Smokin' Aces

So, now that the theater up around campus has removed their gun-buster signs, I will once again go there to see a movie. A bunch of friends wanted to go see Smokin Aces tonight, and I decided to tag along. I doubt many of the older members here had much interest in seeing it, but to anyone that did, you probably shouldn't waste your money on it if you are on this forum.

There is a person who conceals a S&W 500 in a shoulder holster under a hawaiian shirt. Talk of being able to shoot down jumbo jets with a Barrett .50, and that same weapon miraculously fires somewhere around 37 rounds non stop (I don't know where one can buy a 37 round magazine for a semi-auto .50, but if I ever get that rifle, I want one.) The carrying of a 1911A1 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. The racking of the slide every time a weapon is unholstered, even by the "FBI agents", like they don't keep their Sig's loaded. And on and on and one.

I could almost forgive these transgressions when it comes to the usage of firearms if the movie was an all out action flick that was just trying to get the body count as high as possible. But it transitioned from an attempt at that to trying to fit in as many genres of movie possible, and throwing way too many emotions and things to try to make you think and sympathize with the charachters.

Yes, I have taken a few film classes in my schooling, and am used to analyzing movies. Just though I'd give a heads up to anyone considering seeing this movie. With all this type of stuff perpetuated by Hollywood, no wonder the have no idea about firearms.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; January 28th, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I just hate it when these movie characters toss nice firearms on the ground and scratch 'em up. Makes me wince. The rest of the unsafe dumb moves just make me laugh.

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    With all this type of stuff perpetuated by Hollywood, no wonder the have no idea about firearms.
    Haha - well ''they'' do have great ideas about firearms - for sure - but all WRONG

Mental note - do not go out of way to watch that movie Thx!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    There is a person who conceals a S&W 500 in a shoulder holster under a hawain shirt. Talk of being able to shoot down jumbo jets with a Barrett .50, and that same weapon miraculously fires somewhere around 37 rounds non stop (I don't know where one can buy a 37 round magazine for a semi-auto .50, but if I ever get that rifle, I want one.) The carrying of a 1911A1 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. The racking of the slide every time a weapon is unholstered, even by the "FBI agents", like they don't keep their Sig's loaded. And on and on and one.

I could almost forgive these transgressions when it comes to the usage of firearms if the movie was an all out action flick that was just trying to get the body count as high as possible. But it transitioned from an attempt at that to trying to fit in as many genres of movie possible, and throwing way too many emotions and things to try to make you think and sympathize with the charachters.

Yes, I have taken a few film classes in my schooling, and am used to analyzing movies. Just though I'd give a heads up to anyone considering seeing this movie. With all this type of stuff perpetuated by Hollywood, no wonder the have no idea about firearms.
    Even with blanks there are very few Hollywood types I would want to trust with a fully loaded "gun." I seam to remember a fameous stage actor that was acting out a suicide scene on stage with blanks and killed himself.

That being said thanks for the warning about the movie, maybe I'll pop in Casablanca or the Shootest instead.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I believe the main charachter in the crow was killed when a blank was fired from a pistol that had had a squib and the round was stuck in the barrel.

At one point in the movie somebody is getting saliva all over that S&W 500, which by the way was the 8" barrel I believe (try concealing that all day under a hawaiian shirt). That scene did make me cringe a bit because pretty much all 4 of the rules were broken in the span of 3 seconds. Even if it is "just a movie" some things ain't quite right.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

On the subject of S&W 500 last night on "Bones" She went off and bought the short barrel version for CCW to defend against a real low life. When he showed up to do her great harm, he proceeded to go after her while she was in the shower, N their she was 500 in hand with one heck of shocked look on his face, it was great! The only bogus part is they are in DC so how did she actually get the gun?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Even with blanks there are very few Hollywood types I would want to trust with a fully loaded "gun." I seam to remember a fameous stage actor that was acting out a suicide scene on stage with blanks and killed himself.
    (snip)
    Call me Cliff Claven...the master of worthless knowledge, but Jon Erik Hexum was the actor who killed himself after discharging a blank-loaded gun as he had it pointed at his own (fool) head....he was goofing around when he did that.

Brandon Lee was killed with a bullet that had been lodged in the barrel and subsequently discharged out the gun when blanks were later fired in the gun while on the set of the "The Crow."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Call me Cliff Claven...the master of worthless knowledge, but Jon Erik Hexum was the actor who killed himself after discharging a blank-loaded gun as he had it pointed at his own (fool) head....he was goofing around when he did that.

Brandon Lee was killed with a bullet that had been lodged in the barrel and subsequently discharged out the gun when blanks were later fired in the gun while on the set of the "The Crow."
    "Cover Up" I'm afraid to admit I liked that show. I also liked Smoking Aces, it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. I don't watch Hollywood movies to learn how to shoot.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    "Cover Up" I'm afraid to admit I liked that show. I also liked Smoking Aces, it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. I don't watch Hollywood movies to learn how to shoot.
    ...then I'm in good company....I used to watch that show too....Jennifer O'Neil was in it so I used to watch it....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Well, Cover Up was around before I was born, so I don't really know anything about it. I don't watch Hollywood movies to learn how to shoot either, it just irks me when they throw in really stupid stuff. My friends who aren't even really gun guys thought that some of the gun stuff was really stupid and detracted from the movie, maybe they have been hangin out with me too much.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I remember that show, Cover UP, it was good. Could not believe that dope put the gun to his own head. He might have been good looking, but he sure was Stupid. I'll put up with being ugly, as long as I'm NOT stupid. Obviously STUPID can kill you, ain't nobody I know died from just being ugly.

I don't watch Hollywood movies to learn how to shoot either, it just irks me when they throw in really stupid stuff. My friends who aren't even really gun guys thought that some of the gun stuff was really stupid and detracted from the movie, maybe they have been hangin out with me too much.
    I think there is a happy medium between what is technically correct and what plays well on the screen. I think we can all agree Michael Mann does a pretty good job of it, but if you're counting every round between reloads, or the number of times someone clicks the safety on a Glock, our little community of aficionados is not ever going to be satisfied.

That safety click, or the rack of a shotgun might not be technically needed, but in the general scheme of storytelling, it adds emphasis, like an exclamation point on the end of a sentence. The .50 had to be devastating, maybe unrealistic but it elevated the hero by surviving such a withering barrage.

just my 2 cents, it's nice when they do get it right but I don't fault them too much when they don't.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Yea I know.. I saw it and.... LOVED IT.

Sure there were lots of firearm faux pas ,but I still loved the movie. The body count was high and you get to see Alicia Keys stuff guns guns and more guns into that tight little outfit.

I can forgive.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

COME ON!!!!!!! THEY KILLED BEN AFFLECK its the greatest movie ever if you ask me
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

Links