Kentucky!

This is a discussion on Kentucky! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I plan on moving out to Kentucky with in the next six months, hopefully. My wife and I need a change from Oregon, too liberal ...

Thread: Kentucky!

Kentucky!

I plan on moving out to Kentucky with in the next six months, hopefully. My wife and I need a change from Oregon, too liberal and too expensive. Her cousin lives in KY and can't stop saying great things about it.

We plan on living on the outskirts of Louisville or Lexington, I will probably get a transfer from my armored truck company to one of those regions.

How many of you live in Kentucky? I'm curious about the area, I have never visited there.

It sounds weird that I would move to an area that I've never been, but I feel called. This is certainly not in my nature to pack up my family and move across the United States.

Any feedback would be great.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

2. Remove Ads

Q Ball,
    I live SW of Louisville, by choice. I was raised in Ohio and after a career in the military, we chose to retire here.
    I shoot USPSA and 3 gun. This is a great area for it. I can shoot 3 weekends/month within 60 minutes and one weekend I drive to Lex for their 3 gun. Ky. is also a good state for CCW.

If you get away from the cities, real estate is fairly reasonable. There is a housing glut now and it's a buyers market (in my area). Cost of living is fairly low.

Summers are hot and the winters are mild.

Contact me via email if I can help.
    Dave

Administrator
    I grew up in Frankfort KY, but live just north of the river now. I really like Lexington, its a neat city. If I had a choice and their pay for LEO's was better, I would move back to Frankfort in a heartbeat, its a great place to raise kids.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Right now it is cold here in Central Kentucky. I am about 40 miles from L'ville and 80 from Lexington. We have a couple of inches of snow and more on the way. Snow removal here stinks compared to regions that get more as they are better prepared. The cost of living here is very reasonable - we have the lowest electricity rates in the country! Land prices are high now as there is lots of speculation going on. Kentucky is fairly friendly towards firearms in general as long as you stay away from Mayor Abramson in Louisville, he is one Klintoon's buds and HATES guns. Be careful in L'ville as the local LEO there seem to be pretty trigger happy right now, lots of shooting of suspects going of for a city of that size(added - this past weekend they ran over one with their car).

Other than that, welcome to the Bluegrass, home of fast women and beautiful horses.
    Last edited by Wyoming; February 3rd, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

I live in Lexington and it's a rather nice city (as far as cities go). Crime is low, gun laws are good. Lexington is kinda dumb about guns somewhat (so I wouldn't recommend open carry for harrassment reasons). Anywhere else in the state, no one will say anything (except for perhaps Louisville).

Cost of living is cheap, except for houses, but if you go a county or so over from Fayette (Lexington), the price drops rather well. You can't beat the rolling hills of the Bluegrass for beauty imo. We also have the best tasting tap water of any state I've lived in (15 or so).

You are obligated to either like the Wildcats or the Cardinals for college basketball though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Kentucky is a great place to live, for all the reasons already stated.

Beautiful country, mild winters, I have always thought about buying a home there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Thanks for all the replies, it is appreciated.

I probably will plan on moving somewhere outside Lexington, maybe Grant County.

BTW, where are the nearest IPSC matches and or shooting ranges from the Lexington area? I've never shot IPSC, or IDPA for that matter, but would like to start.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    mild winters
    This morning it was 9 degrees at my house in central Kentucky with a windchill of right at zero. Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be even colder. As you can tell from my "name" I am from cold country, but the cold and humidity here are killers for the knees.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I am not sure about the closest IPSC, or IDPA but I do know that they have a bunch of that sort of stuff about 30-45 minutes from lexington, in anderson county. www.acspky.com I am a member, if you come down this way, I'll take you for the grand tour sometime.

I have lived in another state, and visited a host of others. I wouldn't live anywhere else if you gave me the house, and a years utilities for free...

Low crime, very pro gun in most places, and the folks are friendly, even if a lot of them don't know how to drive. LOL!

There are whole weeks on end when it doesn't rain, and t-shirt weather lasts from april through november.

If you prefer a big city environment, Louisville is probably your best bet. If you dont want to live in the city, I would suggest something in counties surrounding Lexington. If you want to live in the sticks, we have plenty of those too.

If you don't mind me asking what line of work are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    This morning it was 9 degrees at my house in central Kentucky with a windchill of right at zero. Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be even colder. As you can tell from my "name" I am from cold country, but the cold and humidity here are killers for the knees.
    That is a heat wave compared to our -8 when I got up to go to church. N that low of a temperature is unusual for there but not here, your winter is basically over by Feb and ours can last until late April, Wanna trade?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I'm up here in Louisville and love it. Grew up here and am still here for a reason. CC laws are great , but watch out for the allergies.. if you don't have them yet.. you will.

The weather is crazy. It can be 60 one day and 15 the next.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what line of work are you in?
    Armored truck/security. Trying to get on with a PD somewhere...

Live Easy, Die Hard

Links