Parents, make sure your kids don't play this "game"

This is a discussion on Parents, make sure your kids don't play this "game" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No humor at all in this: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249759,00.html NEWARK, Ohio A 12-year-old boy found hanged in his basement might have been playing a "choking game" ...

Thread: Parents, make sure your kids don't play this "game"

No humor at all in this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249759,00.html

NEWARK, Ohio A 12-year-old boy found hanged in his basement might have been playing a "choking game" in which a person cuts off oxygen to the brain for a quick high, authorities said.

The sixth-grader at West Main Intermediate School apparently asphyxiated himself, said Jeff Lee, Licking County deputy coroner, who ruled the death an accident Thursday.

The boy was found by his father in the basement of their home about 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, police Capt. Al Zellner said.

"He had gone downstairs to his bedroom and was by himself for 10 or 15 minutes," Zellner said. "His father came down to check on him."

Sue Leedale, the boy's principal, said the school will find a counselor to talk to students about the "choking game," also known by the names "knockout," "blackout" and the "pass-out game."

"No one had any inkling that any of our kids were talking about this," she said.

Lee said youngsters often view the "choking game" as a relatively safe way to get high without using drugs.

"But in this situation, it put him unconscious but left him in a more susceptible position," Lee said.

A teen from Stark County in northeast Ohio died from playing the game in August 2005, authorities said.

Newark is 30 miles east of Columbus.
    I've seen this in similar news stories before, but I'd bet there are people who have never heard of it. I never head of it back when I was in grade school or high school, but I didn't hang out with the kids who got high off of model airplane glue either. Why a kid would think this sounds like a good idea is beyond me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have heard about this and it is very dangerous. Like auto erotic asphyxiation (achieveing solo sexual stimulus while cutting off oxygen for a high) the victims are often mistaken for suicides.

A "high"? I've never understood that. That sort of thing surely is a different experience, but hardly the same as the legitimate chemical "high" I've experienced through serious physical exertion (ie, marathon running, rock climbing, hard ocean swimming). But, plenty of kids think this is cool to try. Definitely a one-way ticket for some.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    ....nice.

(our country is so doomed.)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I thought I was a disturbed child for using my allowance money to buy white mice from the pet store and then picking 'em off with my .22 rifle in the backyard. This kind of insanity leaves me almost speechless.

I don't buy it. I heard this same exact story in one of those lovely warning emails a year or two, or maybe more ago. It just doesn't jive and I don't see anyone logically doing this.

im sure it happens and as harsh as it sound chlorine for the gene pool which we need a lot of or as said above we are so doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Every pool needs a bit of chlorine from time to time. Even the gene pool.
    Ain't it the truth. Great quote (or paraphrase). Sums it up well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Adrenaline thru exercise is a much better way to feel good. Be it thrill riding bike or other extreme sports. Guess too many hours in front of the x box affects kids.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Odd you should put this on here....this kid was actually at our house a couple summers ago with a friends friend. We didnt know him, I just remembed his name. What a screwed up deal.

Looks like we have more important things in this country to worry about than law abiding citizens toting guns!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

VIP Member
    I don't buy it. I heard this same exact story in one of those lovely warning emails a year or two, or maybe more ago. It just doesn't jive and I don't see anyone logically doing this.
    Actually, it is real. It didn't come "into style" until well after I was out of school (back then, cutting was popular, and still is), but there's been news stories and articles on it, and since my husband gets to deal with foster kids, has to be familiar with it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Believe it, its true. I spend 42 hours a week with 14 teenagers, they find this type of crap to be a rush.

Cutting is still big, as is huffing and Robo trippin. I believe it's the combination of the thrill of danger and attention seeking.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

I've heard of this but never with kids this young. where do they get these ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I've heard of this but never with kids this young. where do they get these ideas?
    In a round about way, you answered your own question. These kids learn it from the same people they want to emulate. If their cool older brother did something like this, they will wind up doing it too just to be like their big brother.

Links