Lost it all

Lost it all

This is a discussion on Lost it all within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Folks, My hard-drive crashed this month and I lost all of your messages and private e-mail addresses. Worse yet, I broke my left hand and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost it all

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

Lost it all

Folks,

My hard-drive crashed this month and I lost all of your messages and private e-mail addresses.

Worse yet, I broke my left hand and long e-mails will be a problem. The surgery and the pins go in this week.

Yeah, yeah, I know a Harley clutch is on the left side...

VIP Member
    Ah, there you are. I was thinking I was going to have to hunt you down and check up on you. We kept your seat warm for you.

I hope your hand gets better soon.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Bummer.

So did you punch your hard drive or punch something hard after the hard drive crash? Or did you break your hand doing something else?

Hope all goes well with the surgery.

-Scott-

Ouch that just plain sucks Hope surgery goes well.

Talking Just dumb stuff.

As for the 'computer, I think the issue dates back to when I dropped a book on the keyboard. They fixed the keys and did a Q/C, but nothing showed up. However, the drive problem was mechanical, so I still suspect the whack.

As for the hand, I stumbled when leaving a client. I had a sharpening case in each hand. I actually took four or five quick steps and almost righted myself. I think the case handle broke the bone on impact. The right knee is sore, but that's a few days on ice and I'll be back at the gym.

The diagnosis was a "shatter of the 3rd metecarpal (shaft)." Briefly, it's the bone inside the palm of my hand leading to my third finger, shattered into four pieces. Swelling, not a lot of pain (I did say ouch once) and I'm a tad clumsy giving someone the bird.

Pins and screws go in tomorrow,and I'll get a working cast. I'll take a few days off, but I'll be sharpening next week. Most of my biker buddies swear by screws. It heals fast, not much pain, good range of motion and titanium is cool.

I have to heal fast, anyway. This is the perfect time for Betty to slap me around. With that in mind, I intend to bleed if necessary lifting weights in rehab.

No little corn-pone smacking, five-times-beef guzzlin' Apex sharpening, dual brace gun packin' knife lover is going to hang my scalp from a lodge pole. I bought a dozen 123A batteries and I'm checking the shadows.

That is exactly the same bone I half blew outta my hand with my AD. Believe it or not, it will heal pretty quick. I have about 70% use of mine now after only a few weeks of therapy.

The worst part is when they remove the pins.

Hope everything goes well.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Replacement parts.

Mik,

Due to the number of pieces, I think the screws stay in as 'permanent replacement.'

I had 3-inch pins shot into a broken wrist once. The heads stuck out and later were pulled out with the fanciest pair of duck-billed needle nosed pliers i have ever seen.

I get screwed together this time and stitched back together.

They used a T-handled clamp and no drugs to remove mine. It was called an "appliance" (I had other names for it ). By the time they were done I almost needed a new pair of pants. That hurt.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

There but for the Grace of God go I.... for I have dodged serious hand injuries many times.

Hang in there Tourist!

Then again you don't have a choice do you... :(

Oh and there are places that specialize in data recovery. They can work miracles if there was anything important on there.

Of course that's why I use dual 160 GB hard drives.

Then again they're set in a RAID-0 configuration so I'd be in the same boat as you are but twice over...
    Last edited by Euclidean; February 16th, 2005 at 10:35 PM.

Yeah, yeah, I know a Harley clutch is on the left side...
    Not on a jockeyshift... Well, its not on the bars anyway.

Get well soon.

Lead Moderator

Talking

Thats a real hard drive crash if ya broke yer hand. Hope ya get better soon.

DC Founder
    Good luck, Tourist. You should have plenty of time to get caught up around here during recovery....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Thumbs up Welcome Back!

Sorry to hear about the hand.
    We know you probably punched a wall right after you lost everything in your computer.
    Tell us what really happened!

I had my left hand all pinned up years ago. "Classic Boxers Injury"
    Then...the Dr. gave me a series of "finger exercises" to do while I was still in the cast and I did them so "enthusiastically" that I busted everything back up again.
    Now, I'm minus 3 knuckles on my left hand.
    I still have a good right hand ta Welcome you back though! :welcom2:
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Now, I'm minus 3 knuckles on my left hand.
    I'm down to 8 knuckles on my left hand. Count them up
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'm back home, no surgery. A good thing and a bad thing.

I went to the Dean 'hand clinic' in Madison, Wisconsin. I had a doctor by the name of Dr. Bliss, no kidding.

It seems the breaks mostly go end to end, not side to side, and the other parallel bones are holding them in place. I got a custom cast, which after an interview, they fitted around a small ball.

The 'ball indent' is for the handle of an Edge Pro so that I can stay working. They cut the side of the brace down so I have the full use of my thumb and index finger to handle the knives and type. My third and ring fingers are strapped together.

The bad thing is that since there was no surgery, there was no drainage, and I'm still puffy. Without the support of the screws (which were going to be permanent, I asked), I worry about strength for rehab, weight lifting and pulling that Harley clutch. We wait six weeks and rehab.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'll get anyone a date with my cousin, Rosa. Very resourceful woman. While shipwrecked, she got help by shaving SOS on her back...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links