How do you deal with not being able to get out to the range?

This is a discussion on How do you deal with not being able to get out to the range? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Getting out to the range is one of my favorite things to do. It's not only therapy, it's putting my firearms through the paces and ...

View Poll Results: How do you deal with RDD?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I buy ammo

10 27.03%
  • I handle my guns

10 27.03%
  • I take my guns out and it's like air guitar....practice is practice right?

12 32.43%
  • I clean my guns just for fun when I get ten minutes

5 13.51%
  • I spend my time on gun forums

17 45.95%
  • all work and no play means more funds for a new gun I may get to shoot in the near future

2 5.41%
  • I don't have this issue or have never experienced RDD

8 21.62%
  • You're an idiot for letting it get to this point. Get out and shoot!

9 24.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: How do you deal with not being able to get out to the range?

Getting out to the range is one of my favorite things to do. It's not only therapy, it's putting my firearms through the paces and heating them up. Making sure all of my magazines still function flawlessly, and keeping the mojo so-to-speak. In these winter months my club has very little scheduled for competition for good reasons (weather). The indoor ranges are just....well.....indoor ranges with limited space and costs me each time. Then there is my work schedule to deal with. I used to live close to a range. I went two or three times a week (back when ammo was cheaper than now mind you). Then I was going twice a month for informal plinking, testing, or sighting in and club matches on scheduled days working around my schedule. Maybe I'm just getting the winter blues here, but seems like I need to go shoot something and have been all month. Matter of fact, my best range buddy has asked when we are gonna go shoot just this past week. Years past we've had a routine of going out New Years day to burn up some ammo. Not even sure if that's going to be possible this go round. I've been buying ammo on every shopping trip looking forward to this year's club matches and plinking with friends. I just haven't fired a round in over two months at anything. Call it stir crazy or trigger crazy? I know you can say take a vacation day and have some fun. I just have a lot of things going despite work and all. I've been handling my guns, taking them out of the safe and caressing them, telling them how much I love them and all, but it's just going through the motions. Know what I mean? Have you ever been there? So what do you do and how do you deal? Range deficit disorder! RDD to coin a new term?
    So in case of RDD, how do you handle it? What to do?
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

VIP Member
    My range is ninety yards from my house, so it's something I don't have to deal with.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The eggnog is helping for now, but usually I disassemble, clean, upgrade little things and just fondle some of my favorite shooters while curled in a corner.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My range is ninety yards from my house, so it's something I don't have to deal with.
    Please vote in the poll. :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Please vote in the poll. :)
    I thought you were being rhetorical, but it turns out you really wanted someone to vote in the poll.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    The eggnog is helping for now, but usually I disassemble, clean, upgrade little things and just fondle some of my favorite shooters while curled in a corner.
    Awesome!
    Geez...I don't think I can add to the poll for that. Surprised I didn't think of that. Well, I have been upgrading things matter of fact. Magpul trigger guard on one of my ARs

I thought you were being rhetorical, but it turns out you really wanted someone to vote in the poll.
    Yep...it's for real. Humor me. Fun thread. Other than smelling burning gunpowder and getting hit with hot cases.......you're it!

My hopes once some things are completely paid off! Not jealous really....just sayin' :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Find a way to get some range time... If you want it bad enough you will find a way.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Find a way to get some range time... If you want it bad enough you will find a way.
    I know of a way close to home, but I don't think I'd be seeing Christmas at home. Besides....the overpass is in city limits and....well......
    You're right. I will find a way. Maybe Sunday!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I accept winter for what it is.

I do dry fire more when I'm penned up.
    JDavisArk and gatorbait51 like this.

I went to the range over the weekend and ended up getting a migraine just as I was arriving. It's 30 min from my house so I wasn't about to turn around and go home. I popped some Alive and decided to see how well I could shoot my G17 in that condition. Didn't do great, but good enough considering.

Quote Originally Posted by puffy_cat View Post
    I went to the range over the weekend and ended up getting a migraine just as I was arriving. It's 30 min from my house so I wasn't about to turn around and go home. I popped some Alive and decided to see how well I could shoot my G17 in that condition. Didn't do great, but good enough considering.
    I feel like a wuss now. Thank you
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Same here. I can shoot all I want in my back yard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Considering the fact that it doesn't take long to spend lots of $$ unloading many magazines downrange, I deal with winter as a savings for summer.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isn’t an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

I will pile up some old phone books in the kitchen to use as a backstop, then sit on the couch and shoot into the kitchen. CB caps only so it's not too noisy. Although CB caps are still too loud out of a 3" barrel. I asked my son to go out into the street and tell me what it sounded like (since I did not want to be heard). He said it sounded like crazy people live there.

Anyway, given enough time, a few hundred CB caps can work their way through quite a bit of phone books. One round went through the back stop and hit a 2 liter diet coke, which began to spray the entire kitchen. The bottle rolled from one side of the kitchen to the other and with each pass a high pressure stream of diet coke hosed down the ceiling, walls, cabinets and floors. It was an awful mess.

I decided to quit while I was ahead and closed my indoor range. That was 7 or 8 years ago. Now I just dry fire.

Indoor range 10 minutes from my house.
    gatorbait51 and KeithC. like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links