Lock Bumping

This is a discussion on Lock Bumping within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Received an E-mail this evening and thought it was worth sharing with every one. http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM&eurl I had never heard of this before. What do all ...

Thread: Lock Bumping

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Lock Bumping

Received an E-mail this evening and thought it was worth sharing with every one. http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM&eurl
    I had never heard of this before. What do all of you think?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I heard of this a while ago and it is of some concern. I guess better locks are prime choice but also - awareness and staying armed.

If someone tries this on my house they could be in for a hot reception!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I hadn't heard of this before, and I have worked at a place where we would key locks, and make keys for them before we delivered the doors they were installed into to jobsites. Getting key blanks isnt very hard, and anoyone who has worked in a hardware store for 5 minutes can cut one. Definately something to be on the lookout for. After taking apart a lot of locks to key them, your really do start to appreciate the most expensive ones though
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Pretty Depressing...

This was a new one for me...

I believe that there are some other solutions to stay safe in one's home...but they require training in the use of machine guns and hand grenades...sheeesh!

What about 'hotel type' inside door locks? At least they could provide some security while home...and, of course, there is my 125# Rhodesian Ridgback...

This world is getting more dangerous by the day!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are eleven special keys and a screw driver handle used to open ninety per cent of all locks. The keys are sold on the internet under key word "bump keys"on key word. With the right key and a screw driver to hit with, a lock can be opened in under a minute. You can get a lock that canot be picked for about 150.00

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Anybody else watch the 'How to' video in the list along the margin on that page? Scary easy.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I have been into lock picking for years and the "bump keys" are also called "jigglers". They can also be purchased for cars and work quite well.

There are many things about locks that would scare you if you only knew.

I bought a master lock type lock at Home Depot for 9 bucks. This is a nice moderately priced lock that is shielded for outdoor use. Nice for your garage or shed. I was able to pick it with out even touching the shackle or the pins in the key way. It literally takes 5 seconds to open and that is when I'm out of practice.

Here's another one. Anyone own a Master Lock 175? This is the 16 dollar lock that you would buy to secure something important. The 175 uses a combination to open and the combination can be set with a small key. This is a nice lock not cheap by any means. The 175 can be opened in less that a minute with a paper clip. The minute includes bending the paper clip to the proper design.

It is true that locks only keep out the honest people.

Lock picking is a nice hobby. I like puzzles and locks make great puzzles.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Locks keep honest people honest.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Good call, Rick.

I posted about this about 6 months ago. It's a good reminder to watch out for this.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    First off....I'm a GOOD GUY.

I have a pick set I keep in my truck tool box. I've kept the set for years & have used it a lot (NOTHING ILLEGAL).

This method is a takeoff on the 'raking' method of lock picking. Using the bump method is easier for a novice, than picking. However, I can 'rake' a normal lock like in the video in about the same amount time.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    First off....I'm a GOOD GUY.

I have a pick set I keep in my truck tool box. I've kept the set for years & have used it a lot (NOTHING ILLEGAL).

This method is a takeoff on the 'raking' method of lock picking. Using the bump method is easier for a novice, than picking. However, I can 'rake' a normal lock like in the video in about the same amount time.
    +1

I started carrying mine about 8 years ago. I orgionally purchased the pick kit because I had users that were constantly locking the lock on their PC case (remember those HP Vectra's ) and then losing the keys. It was either pull the case apart and damage something or pick the lock (without the user seeing of course).

Just kinda expanded from there. The knowledge has come in handy on more than one occasion. POP A LOCK unlocking service? Yea right.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Moderator
    Well, guess what I'll be doing!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Truly scary learning how vulnerable we are.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Very disturbing.

However after watching my contractors remove an entire exterior doorway in less than 5 minutes (with the door locked shut), I'm convinced that with minimal knowledge someone can enter a house in a heartbeat! [The doorway was part of the original house construction in 1954 and due to an addition, it was to be removed completely . . . they didn't even want me to unlock the door before they removed the entire assembly.]
    NRA Instructor

Links