Internet anonymity.

This is a discussion on Internet anonymity. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting that he was able to find you in other forums. I am assuming that you changed your alias each time you moved. Did you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet anonymity.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Interesting that he was able to find you in other forums. I am assuming that you changed your alias each time you moved.

Did you have your email posted? Could you have unknowingly received a mail from the troll with a key logger attached?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Well, you're not going to get a visit from any of the Break & Enter Boys because some of them are members here also & they ain't out to get ya.

This is the most responsible & well behaved forum on the Internet except for maybe Sesame Street.

Don't worry so much.
    1. I was referring to burglars, not LEO.

2. I'm not worried about other members here, I didn't imply that I was, I'm worried about trolls or antis that can use our community against us.

3. I worry, I don't maintain condition white, it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker
    Interesting that he was able to find you in other forums. I am assuming that you changed your alias each time you moved.

Did you have your email posted? Could you have unknowingly received a mail from the troll with a key logger attached?
    It was a fluke, I had different names on each forum. I didn't post any email link. He just happened across me and because my real name, location and photo were there he knew it was me.

Administrator
    Oh...got it. I'm not too swift today after just having posted the Anna Nicole Smith story in the Members Buy, Sell, Trade area.

I'm running on marathon No Sleep & strong coffee for going on not quite 3 days now.
    The coffee is real good but, not as good as necessary ZZZZZZs

I'm going to start getting Slap Happy real soon.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It would be easy for a fairly intelligent person to figure out who I am, but I really dont care if they do. BTW, thats my real photo in my avatar.
    yep that's him, I seen him once, only he didn't know it was me....

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    yep that's him, I seen him once, only he didn't know it was me....
    Oh yeah? Well I'm lookin at ya right now!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZZZ View Post
    Has anyone ever told you that you look funny and have big ears?

Look whos talking!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    I use my alternate aviator call sign, but I am unafraid, in this forum to use my real first name and allow access to my last.

I don't see a real problem with it, but that doesn't mean there can't be.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I'm running on marathon No Sleep & strong coffee for going on not quite 3 days now.
    The coffee is real good but, not as good as necessary ZZZZZZs
    3 days?

You're probably at the point where you're falling asleep for 0.5 of a second every 10 minutes, watch you don't do a face plant on the keyboard now.

What really worries me is a person that will post a picture of every gun he owns spread out on the bed or list every gun he owns in his signature.
    A real thief could read all his back posts and in some cases figure out where they live,what they drive and where and when they work.
    I don't believe in being real paranoid but don't be foolish either.

I feel better keeping names/pictures private. I somewhat agree with Frank. If the time ever comes when the Feds come knocking to take away what's left of our rights (guns), I don't want them to have a prepared list to work from. Paranoid, yup. It's nobody's business but mine.

<----That is an actual picture of me. My real name is not however Sig P239. But, many people on here know it is Mike.

I don't have anything to hide and in fact if my neighbors know or found out that I carry, that is fine with me also. I am not ashamed of it and feel that there is nothing to hide in the fact that I carry.

It is almost impossible to maintain true anonymity on the net anyway.
    I am not going to announce my full name and address on the internet but, my first name and a picture of me will not worry me too badly.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have various names and photos on various accounts, They are all my real name and real photos of who I am. My avatar is who I am, my spelling of my name is as it is spelled in my name. Those people who have known me most of my life could probably recognize me for who and what I am, others would have to do a lot of searching.

I stay somewhat low key (or try to), Some people have names for me that can't be used on this forum.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    <----That is an actual picture of me. My real name is not however Sig P239. But, many people on here know it is Mike.

I don't have anything to hide and in fact if my neighbors know or found out that I carry, that is fine with me also. I am not ashamed of it and feel that there is nothing to hide in the fact that I carry.

It is almost impossible to maintain true anonymity on the net anyway.
    I am not going to announce my full name and address on the internet but, my first name and a picture of me will not worry me too badly.
    Yes, but that is a fake mustache, right?
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I used to have my name on my blog until the site visit tracker discovered a couple of people from my state poking around. I figure my Alias tells people enough and I'm sure I give more info about who I am rather vs just my real identity
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

pax
    I used to try for anonymous.

*shrug*

Gave it up when I started writing.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links