I'm almost giddy...

This is a discussion on I'm almost giddy... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Going to the gun show in town tomorrow. Not going to buy anything more than a few parts, but I am still so wound up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm almost giddy...

I'm almost giddy...

Going to the gun show in town tomorrow. Not going to buy anything more than a few parts, but I am still so wound up I can hardly wait a mere 12 hours.

What to do...what to do....

2. Remove Ads

Sure not going to buy anything but parts...

Famous last words

I went to a gun show in sanford florida at the civic center.I got there at about 10 am & there were people standing out frount waiting to get in. It turned out that the show was canceled and they had forgot to tell any body. Some of the guys drove as far as 200 miles to attend. What a bummer.
    Last edited by Tom G; February 10th, 2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    Going to the gun show in town tomorrow. Not going to buy anything more than a few parts, but I am still so wound up I can hardly wait a mere 12 hours.

What to do...what to do....
    Already assembled as a functioning gun?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

There was a gun show in Monroe this weekend, I didn't go as per usual. I don't go because I find the rules are to restrictive. Washington Arms Collectors run the show, They fight for gun rights here in Washington. Yet they deny persons with CPL the right to carry. No weapons may be loaded nor can you have loaded Magazines, 'ALL' guns must be plastic tied, and no plastic ties can be removed so you can examine the working of the action.

I prefer to not go where I can't carry and I never buy a firearm that I cannot examine.

The last gun show that I went to that I said "I was just going to buy a grip for my Taurus revolver" was the one where I walked in the door at home holding a brand new WASR-10 AK-47 clone.

Imagine my wife's surprise.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I went to a gun show yesterday with my father-in-law to help him buy his first pocket carry gun a Parked Kel-tec P3AT. He was running late getting to this small gun show and I happened upon a S&W Model 60. Talked the guy down 40 and bought it.

The father-in-law was because he wanted one just like it! The wife just and said, "I can't say anything because I'm going to a horse show clinic that costs the same as the gun next month!"

PS: I don't hide gun show purchases from my wife! This one she likes
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member
    Sig P239, formerly know as PT-111, but could be called Swab Jockey (Man that is a long name for such a shrinking guy);

Last gun show in my area, went to buy a couple of m-1 carbine mags, ended up buying an Ithaca 16 ga SxS, a ruger mk-1 22cal, and a reflex sight. Walked by 100's of m-1 mags, but didn't go home with any. Now I got to go to the next gun show to get a couple.

Darn the bad luck!

Purple88yj: I hope you have a good time today!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I've never been to a gun show.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamz View Post
    I've never been to a gun show.
    If you are telling the truth, you are truly missing out. Imagine hundreds of tables filled with guns and accessories and hundreds of people milling around with little more than "guns" on their minds. It's a great place to be, even if you do go only to look around. I find it more entertaining and cheaper (admission is cheaper) than a movie.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    WOW - I can't imagine not ever going to a gun show in my life. They are great. If not for gun shows I wouldn't know about all the cool stuff out there that I need to buy. You can see everything - from revolutionary war memorabilia to the latest and greatest. If you have never been you HAVE to go. Make the next one a priority.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    I have a friend who works with a dealer at lots of gunshows. He told me at one yesterday, "There are at least 3 great deals at every gunshow. All you have to do is find them." I missed one in Birmingham in late November. I was waiting for pgrass101 at the admissions area (I had never met him and was concentrating on watching for him) and a guy came up and asked what I was looking for. I told him I was waiting on someone. He said that he would usually get to the shows about 45 minutes after they started and stand near the gate to watch what people brought in. He said that he usually bought at least one gun right at the gate at each show. While we were standing there a guy comes in with a Winchester model 94 over his shoulder. The fellow who had asked the question calls out to the guy with the 94, "What you asking for your 30-30?" The guy replied, "$125." The questioner called him over and started looking the gun over. I looked too. The gun looked like it was a year or two old and in really good shape. Sort of like it was bought, had 40 or 50 rounds run through it and put in the safe. The wood was still clean and unscratched. Just then pgrass101 walked in the door and called me. I went to meet him. I later saw the guy who stands at the gate and asked if he had bought the 30-30 and he said that he hadn't because he had several and would have only used it to trade. I could have had it for $125. I saw several others that day, but none like that. The guy who had it didn't when I saw him again 30 minutes or so later.

Ah, well I made a new friend. And as I was told yesterday there are at least 3 great deals at every gun show and all I have to do is find them. In the past 12 months I have found a couple of real good deals and two great ones: my SIG P239 in .357SIG and my Beretta CX4 Storm. I just have to keep on looking. The last two shows I went to I spent the admission fee. Had lots of fun talking to people and looking at guns. Found some real good deals, but am looking for another great one.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Sure not going to buy anything but parts...

Famous last words
    Actually I had quite a plan in hand for the show, but alas, none of the parts I was looking for were to be had, and the ones that were there were way out of line of the budget I had set.

See most of these parts were to be used in someone elses gun, and I don't want to be too far out of pocket when I get it back to him.

Went after springs for a BHP and grips for the same. New springs were no where to be found, and the grips were out of sight. The lowest I found was $45 for a set of used wood grips and they were beaten to death. I may just wind up refinishing the ones that are already on it.

I wound up walking out of the show with....get this.....absolutely nothing.

We did go to the range and burn up some powder afterwards though, so it wasn't a complete wash.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I have a friend who works with a dealer at lots of gunshows. He told me at one yesterday, "There are at least 3 great deals at every gunshow. All you have to do is find them." I missed one in Birmingham in late November. I was waiting for pgrass101 at the admissions area (I had never met him and was concentrating on watching for him) and a guy came up and asked what I was looking for. I told him I was waiting on someone. He said that he would usually get to the shows about 45 minutes after they started and stand near the gate to watch what people brought in. He said that he usually bought at least one gun right at the gate at each show. While we were standing there a guy comes in with a Winchester model 94 over his shoulder. The fellow who had asked the question calls out to the guy with the 94, "What you asking for your 30-30?" The guy replied, "$125." The questioner called him over and started looking the gun over. I looked too. The gun looked like it was a year or two old and in really good shape. Sort of like it was bought, had 40 or 50 rounds run through it and put in the safe. The wood was still clean and unscratched. Just then pgrass101 walked in the door and called me. I went to meet him. I later saw the guy who stands at the gate and asked if he had bought the 30-30 and he said that he hadn't because he had several and would have only used it to trade. I could have had it for $125. I saw several others that day, but none like that. The guy who had it didn't when I saw him again 30 minutes or so later.

Ah, well I made a new friend. And as I was told yesterday there are at least 3 great deals at every gun show and all I have to do is find them. In the past 12 months I have found a couple of real good deals and two great ones: my SIG P239 in .357SIG and my Beretta CX4 Storm. I just have to keep on looking. The last two shows I went to I spent the admission fee. Had lots of fun talking to people and looking at guns. Found some real good deals, but am looking for another great one.
    Sorry to make you miss a deal Hope you will find a better one in the future. I'm always looking for deals its just sometimes i don't know a good deal when I see it.

Darryl
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Sorry to make you miss a deal Hope you will find a better one in the future. I'm always looking for deals its just sometimes i don't know a good deal when I see it.

Darryl
    Darryl, you've read my post about the Marlin 336. That is what I really wanted and I got it new $125 cheaper than the used Winchester. I don't really like the top eject in the Winchester. I guess I ought to thank you for preventing me from getting a great deal because in stead I got the greatest deal. Thanks, Darryl. A new friend and a new rifle can't beat that.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links