Hannibal Rising

This is a discussion on Hannibal Rising within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If any of you is a fan of the "Silence of the Lambs" stuff, go see Hannibal Rising. I avoid slasher films, and this one ...

Thread: Hannibal Rising

Hannibal Rising

If any of you is a fan of the "Silence of the Lambs" stuff, go see Hannibal Rising. I avoid slasher films, and this one definitely is not. Sure, there's a bit of gore, but not too much. Instead, the story is just great - really goes more into the psychological side - some CREEPY stuff showing why Lector turned out the way he did. The cool thing too is that this movie ends when Lector is still in his early 20s, so it leaves room for even another sequel to cover his early adult years.

Good flick!

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

My wife and I saw that this Saturday (at a posted AMC, but that's beside the point), and it was pretty good. Kind of disappointing having a Hannibal movie without the talented Sir Anthony Hopkins, but given the story, I can certainly overlook that.

I give it two thumbs up, for sure. The actor playing Hannibal certainly did the role justice, too.

One of the FEW serials in Hollywood that doesn't suck after it's second film.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    ya they def left room for another movie, it was good movie

Distinguished Member
    There is already a movie about Hannibal Lector's early years. The movie was truely the first in the series. It is called "ManHunter". It includes some great talk about the Bulldog .44 Spl. It does not have Anthony Hopkins, but is still a good watch.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    There is already a movie about Hannibal Lector's early years. The movie was truely the first in the series. It is called "ManHunter". It includes some great talk about the Bulldog .44 Spl. It does not have Anthony Hopkins, but is still a good watch.
    I only skipped that one since it's not part of the "current" run of movies, also since they retold that via Red Dragon w/ Hopkins.

But yes, an excellent movie, and I'm glad someone else knows it existed! Brian Cox did a great performance introducing Hannibal to the masses.

In terms of the storyline, Hannibal Rising explains Hannibal's youth and explains the foundation of his obsession, and comes before both Manhunter/Red Dragon in the continuity department. Awesome flick.

I'm a bit of a Hannibal dork, if you can't tell.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling a bit peckish:

Not A Movie Go'er...

But my wife always wants to go...I've been once in 5 years...I might just surprise her and take her to this one...

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nate - Red Dragon was really my favorite of the earlier three. Dunno, but it may just be that I think Edward Norton is a really good actor.

Interesting, Chorizo. Had not heard of that one. I'll check it out. You mentioned the Bulldog - is the movie based on David Berkowitz (Son of Sam)?

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Loved Silence. Manhunter was good as was Red Dragon.

Hannibal (not the new Hannibal Rising) was trash. The book, believe it or not, was even worse.

SPOLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the book Hannibal Clarice and Lector fly off into the sunset together as lovers after dining on human brains. This is one of the only times I think the movie handled something better than the book.

I haven't seen the new one. Will probably wait for cable or DVD.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Personally, "Manhunter" was (to me) the best of the Harris-written book converted to movies mostly due to Michael Mann's hand in the movie as the director; but in part because it wasn't about Lecter at all, but William Petersen's character's (Graham) attempt to catch the serial killer. Brian Cox did a great Lecter as well. Plus it had a killer soundtrack!

I thought "Red Dragon" was horrible. I detested the ending in particular. Emily Watson and Ralph Fiennes were so melodramatic, I thought William Shatner was more low key in Star Trek then they were. Joan Allen and Tom Noonen were much better in "Manhunter." Honestly, the beginning with Hopkins was good but I thought that they tried to hard to make the movie more about Lector again. I also thought William Petersen did a much better job than Ed Norton.

No, "Manhunter" wasn't based on the "Son of Sam," it was about a former FBI agent tracking down a serial murder. Remember, Michael Mann is up on guns, so he chose to arm Graham with a .44 Special Bulldog loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs. Former IPSC champion Jim Zubiena played an FBI agent who handed Graham the Bulldog.

I haven't seen "Hannibal Rising" yet.
    Last edited by srfl; February 14th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links