Flags of our Fathers

This is a discussion on Flags of our Fathers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife and I watched this movie last weekend. I was a little dissapointed. It seemed kind of incoherent, kept shooting forward in time, then ...

Thread: Flags of our Fathers

Flags of our Fathers

My wife and I watched this movie last weekend. I was a little dissapointed. It seemed kind of incoherent, kept shooting forward in time, then back.....

We also watched "Flyboys". I would have to say that it was one of the best movies I've seen. Much better than "Flags"..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum36 View Post
    My wife and I watched this movie last weekend. I was a little dissapointed. It seemed kind of incoherent, kept shooting forward in time, then back.....
    I'm with you. I had high hopes, but had a hard time following it with all the jumping around it did. I chalked it up to being too tired, but maybe it wasn't just me.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Yep, me too. I bought it on sale at Target last weekend. I do want to see "Letters" though - the Japanese side. The lead actor is Ken Watanabe, the same fellow who played the Samurai chief in "The Last Samurai", and I think he's a superb actor.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

I read the book a while back, so I was able to follow the movie pretty easily.

I didn't think it was a bad movie, just not as good as I had hoped. Flyboys was really good too. We, my wife and I, watched that last weekend too along with Flags Of Our Fathers.

Biker

i agree with everyone else with "flags" and went to the movies and saw "letters" it was sub-titled and hard to follow. i would say "flags" was the better of the two.

I liked Flags. The harsh reality of WW ll, the propaganda even back then, what happened to those guys, all of that I found very interesting. If we fought a battle like that today our country would implode. We lost more men dead and wounded in a month than we have in the entire war in Iraq. This country couldn't stand it today.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I too was disappointed with Flags of Our Fathers. I remember watching The Outsider (1961) with Tony Curtis as Ira Hayes when I was a kid. That movie covered the U.S. Bonds drive that they did and piqued my interest to read up more about it. So I already knew those stories pretty well.

Anyway, I was hoping Flags would be more about the battle and how long and difficult it was which I felt it didn't do at all. Looking forward to watching Letters From Iwo Jima though for the different perspective.

Kinda off topic, but still a movie. I watched The Departed today, and thought it was awesome. Anyone looking for a good movie, with a high body county, good storyline with great acting- check it out.

I thought THE DEPARTED was one of the best films (out of the 40) that I saw this year. I hope it cleans up on Oscar night.

I thought FLAGS was just as good and sorry that it wasn't nominated more.

One of my other favorites of last year was THANK YOU FOR SMOKING.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Links