Kitty Cats-California Style

This is a discussion on Kitty Cats-California Style within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have a fair number of mountain lion incidents where they try to grab kids or women. For some reason they like to grab women ...

Thread: Kitty Cats-California Style

Kitty Cats-California Style

We have a fair number of mountain lion incidents where they try to grab kids or women. For some reason they like to grab women joggers and have killed a couple or so. Just recently north of LA they have found tracks of a 600 pound cat. So lets see how this goes, does the cat get a horse, cow, dogs or, well lets see what happens. They have professional hunters after him, those guys are pretty good, they usually get their man err kitty pretty quick.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Red face

That there's one big cat....heck, Bengal Tigers weigh in at 600lbs. I don't think I'd hunt it with anything but .458 Weatherby or better yet, a .50 cal Barrett!

Administrator

"Meow!...Here...Kitty...Kitty"

I have a newspaper article clipped out of the LOS ANGELES TIMES from about 5 years ago.
    If my memory serves me right...at that time it was estimated by the C.D.F.G. that there were between 4 to 6 thousand lion native to the State Of CA. & it's likely that their numbers have increased since then.
    I'll locate that article & scan/post it here tomorrow.

Interesting "big cat" story on the evening news a few days ago about Hercules The Liger (cross bred Lion & Tiger) that will weigh in as a mature adult at 900 plus pounds. That would be 900+ lb. hungry & without a meal in the tummy.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 20th, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    We have a fair number of mountain lion incidents where they try to grab kids or women. For some reason they like to grab women joggers and have killed a couple or so.
    I'll give you two guesses on why they choose women.

We have had a number of mountain lion incidents close to Phoenix, Flagstaff and/or Tucson in the last couple of years. Game & Fish wanted to hunt them and our Democratic Governor would not allow them to. Probably the only thing that would have changed her mind was if one gotten a child. Because of the drought here we have had a number of animals decide to move into the suburbs. About 3 or 4 years ago we had bears that showed up here in Mesa looking for food. They rounded up 5 or 6 of them and shipped them back up to the mountains after they fed and got them back in shape. Mountain Lions are a bit harder to accept in your back yard than a black bear. Incidents have sorta tapered off now.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Here in the Cleveland National Forest, southern CA a Mountain Lion killed a guy and then attacked a women biker. The lion had the womens head in its jaws at thet point another women was holding onto the women and screaming at the cat. Both women are ok and I say they were brave souls. We have had cats in that area grab kids walking with their parents and go after bikers. It really is not their fault we are in their space. A women jogger north of LA got grabbed and killed by a cat. We also have people who keep really large lions and tigers around LA and they suspect the 600lb kitty running around may have got loose from somebody.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Story From About 5 years ago ~

Not really an exciting story ~ No attacks ~ Just sightings.
    Heck...I would absolutely always carry if I lived in a known Mountain Lion area.
    All "Big Cats" get LOTS meaner as they get more crowded and when food is scarce then anything moving and edible becomes potential food. Sometimes a very hungry African lion will get into a life/death fight with another lion over a small kill & will then also eat the dead lion. It only happens rarely but it does happen.

In America our ancestors were a sturdy bunch of folks who used common sense to survive. Little kids would leave dogs alone, don't mess with those big cats you may become dinner for them. But today people want the government to solve everything kids don't know how to survive in the real world. I guess we cannot blame them, they don't have woods to play in and if they climb a tree a cop will be called by someone. Leave sleeping dogs alone.
    I really do admire the girl who hung onto her friend so a mountain lion would not drag her away. That took something from within to to be strong and brave when needed.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Red face

Just heard on news today they shot and killed the "kitty". They didn't say what brand, but it was definitely your garden variety orange and black striped Tiger. They said they're looking into the valid permits to try and find who the owner was.....what the heck are we coming to....Tigers in California and Burmese Pythons in Florida.......Anybody seen darn rhinoscerous hanging around lately?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    Anybody seen darn rhinoscerous hanging around lately?
    I think I might have seen one last week between Phoenix and Mesa along the Salt River....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I think I might have seen one last week between Phoenix and Mesa along the Salt River....
    The rhino was probably hanging out somewhere near the water buffalo & the hippopotamus.

You laugh - some knucklehead wanted to import elephants to New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, as they are similiar to thier vanishing African range....imagine the traffic jam with one of THEM on I-10!
    I have seen BIG kittys out here, but they stay mostly away....we shoot them, and they know it.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman
    You laugh - some knucklehead wanted to import elephants to New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, as they are similiar to thier vanishing African range....imagine the traffic jam with one of THEM on I-10!
    I have seen BIG kittys out here, but they stay mostly away....we shoot them, and they know it.

LOL....it's bad enough having to dodge roadkill, but running over elephant dung thinking it's just a clod of dirt would have me investing in car washes! I wonder if elephants react like deer with your bright headlights !!

Links