Seeking advice on a new purchase

This is a discussion on Seeking advice on a new purchase within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay, I know I'm asking for it, seeking advice. I'm looking at making a new purchase. Either an M1A from Springfield or an M1 Carbine ...

Thread: Seeking advice on a new purchase

Okay, I know I'm asking for it, seeking advice. I'm looking at making a new purchase. Either an M1A from Springfield or an M1 Carbine either from CMP or Auto-Ordnance (If I decide to go new).

If anyone as any experience with either, please chime in. If anyone prefers something else, please sing out. If anyone thinks I'm an idiot, please speak out. Yes, mom, I know what you think of me....

Thanks in advance everyone.

You idiot!!!

Just kidding. I like the M1A, myself...but...heavy sonovab!tch!

But gotta love that .308 round! That's the stuff that dreams are made of!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly its not even close go the battle rifle . IMHO the 30 carb is a poor choice for a carbine today unless you just want it for the retro factor.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

30 Carbines are fun...but...that's about all.

M1A for sure.

VIP Member
    M-1 Carbine have just a little more power than a 357 Mag. Problem is that you really need to use fmj ammo as anything else some lead shears off and will jam the mechanism in the carbine. It is ok if you plan on using it at pistol range targets and realize its limitations. If you want a combat SHTF rifle then you want the M1A.

I have a carbine for upclose, hail of fire for my wife to use. She likes the carbine. For me, I have a Ruger mini 30. I had a M1A, great battle rifle, but I don't have a tactical need for one so I sold it and converted it to the mini 30 and a series 70 1911.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Go with the M1a, it is more versatile of the two. However depending on what your ultimate use may be there is also the FAL, AK, SKS.

You havn't mentioned the purpose of the purchase or the use you plan on putting it to.

VIP Member
    Get a m1 grande

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Go with the M1a, it is more versatile of the two. However depending on what your ultimate use may be there is also the FAL, AK, SKS.

You havn't mentioned the purpose of the purchase or the use you plan on putting it to.
    Purpose???? It's FUN to shoot.... Seriously, though, I'd probably have to say, if pressed to the wall, it's a SHTF weapon. I've got a 1911 for CC, so that's covered, if I wanted another home defense, I'd geta shotgun, more than likely a Mossberg 500 or 590. I suppose the occational hunting trip, but mostly it's gonna sit next to my Go-bag with a couple of hundred extra rounds.

I know the .30 cal is a lighter round, the M1 carbine was designed as the "replacement" for the 1911 as the last ditch defensive weapon of the officer or rear echelon personel. The carbine as a weapon is easier to lug around, being lighter and with the popularity of the AR's and AK's in carbine model that I've seen around I figured that there had to be some merit to it. As for why the M1 instead of the AR15. Just a case of aesthetics really. I'm not a big fan of the black plastic. I think the look and feel of wood is classier. What can I say. That's just me.

The M1A. Everything I've read says the M14 (the select fire version produced for the Army) and the M1A semi only varient is a great rifle. In fact, some of the places I've researched described them as too good. The US Army didn't want a rifle that was that good, they didn't see the average infantryman needing it. Which is one of the reasons that it was phased out so quickly. The big downside, that I can see, is the weight of it and the ammo. The .308 or NATO 7.62 is a great round and can be found almost everywhere. But it's heavy. Carrying a combat load is a definate consideration.

Hope I've provided enough background on my thoughts.

You do know that you can buy an AK in 7.62x39 and a lot of ammo for the price of a M1A. The 7.62x39 has about the same Knockdown of a 30-30. Just a thought to consider. The FAL fires .308 and are reliable, they can be found cheaper then the M1A as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Get a m1 grande
    A telephone pole with a gunbarrell on it!

M1 Carbine is a Fun Gun!

The Carbine is a great little Plinker. I bought one so my kids could shoot something a little bigger than thier Ruger .22's. Kinda working them up the caliber scale to bigger and better stuff. The M1A & the .308 are definately battle gear suitable for CYA.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

M1 carbine is fun for sure.
    M1A is serious for sure.
    Had I the choice, the M1A would be the hands down winner.
    (And I own them both)

Roger

Sponsored Links