Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO As long as you stayed on the freeway, didn't wait for a mile and a half to stop, your OK in ...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops 101

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As long as you stayed on the freeway, didn't wait for a mile and a half to stop, your OK in my book.
    I appreciate the sentiment, but what about the little lady that was told to not stop in a desolate area if she was afraid of a red light bandit? I know my pressure would be way up if I had to follow somebody for several miles until they pulled over, just to find out they were looking for an occupied area to yield.

BTW, there was some commentary a while back about LEO bashing, and being off topic. While I may have been guilty of that, no harm intended. I'm not anti-LEO, I were one! I do, however, ID BS when I smell it!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment, but what about the little lady that was told to not stop in a desolate area if she was afraid of a red light bandit? I know my pressure would be way up if I had to follow somebody for several miles until they pulled over, just to find out they were looking for an occupied area to yield.

BTW, there was some commentary a while back about LEO bashing, and being off topic. While I may have been guilty of that, no harm intended. I'm not anti-LEO, I were one! I do, however, ID BS when I smell it!
    I never really understood the thought on telling people to keep driving to an area they feel comfortable stopping in... who came up with that one? Besides, I am going to attempt to stop you in a well light, populated area for both of our safety. Sometimes, that’s not an option.
    Anyway, there are so many more options available to protect ones self from a "red light bandit" If you are suspicious, ask for another LEO in particular if you are asked to get out of the car. Keep your door locked, if he gets overly aggressive drive off.

For the bashing part... I don’t mind questions about rumor, misconception or the likes, that is why I am keeping active in this thread. If it’s outright bashing, go some where else. I like to argue and debate too, but this thread is not the place for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I never really understood the thought on telling people to keep driving to an area they feel comfortable stopping in... who came up with that one? Besides, I am going to attempt to stop you in a well light, populated area for both of our safety. Sometimes, thatís not an option.
    I've heard that, in Ohio, a LEO has to be driving a marked police car to stop someone for a traffic violation, but when I was in Florida, a couple years ago, I saw cops hiding amidst the trees in the median(on I-95) and using cars such as mid-80s Monte Carlos, to make traffic stops. I wasn't stopped, but it was nice to know that I was required to stop if someone driving a Monte Carlo with gold accents and 20 inch gold spinners wanted me to, as long as it had red and blue lights flashing. LOL
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I've heard that, in Ohio, a LEO has to be driving a marked police car to stop someone for a traffic violation, but when I was in Florida, a couple years ago, I saw cops hiding amidst the trees in the median(on I-95) and using cars such as mid-80s Monte Carlos, to make traffic stops. I wasn't stopped, but it was nice to know that I was required to stop if someone driving a Monte Carlo with gold accents and 20 inch gold spinners wanted me to, as long as it had red and blue lights flashing. LOL
    I'm not sure about that. I know that Columbus PD has a riced-out Civic that they use around campus to try to catch street racers. But I'm not a LEO, just that I have seen, I don't know the specifics on it.

In Kentucky and Indiana I have also seen blacked out Mustangs and Camaros pull people over.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkirchner View Post
    Ohio has the one or the other law... let me explain.

An officer has to either be in a marked police vehicle or a police uniform. An unmarked car can make a traffic stop, provided the contact officer is in uniform. An officer does not have to be in a uniform to make a stop with a marked car. Nothing says the marked car has to a Interceptor (crown vic). Or even a car for that matter, I know of at least one Heli pilot that made a t-stop on a backroad.

It is a very uncommon practice in Ohio to use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement, but not illegal. The practice is not endorsed by the big Ohio L.E. lobbyist groups, Ohio Chiefs of Police and the Buckeye Sheriffs Assc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the info. I guess using unmarked vehicles isn't as safe or efficient as using marked vehicles.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkirchner View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess using unmarked vehicles isn't as safe or efficient as using marked vehicles.
    If the goal is to slow cars down and prevent accidents, yes your statement is true. If the goal is to write tickets and create revenue, then no, an unmarked car is better.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 14th, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JID
    Sixto, what do you do when the driver tells you they are armed? How descriptive should I be? Should I tell you where it is on my person? I just got my CCW, and want to make sure that I do what I can to make LEO's feel as safe and in control as possible. Also, should I have my CCW card ready to give to you with my DLL & Insurance? I haven't been pulled over for 14 years, but I know that it's eventually going to happen for something.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JID View Post
    Sixto, what do you do when the driver tells you they are armed? How descriptive should I be? Should I tell you where it is on my person? I just got my CCW, and want to make sure that I do what I can to make LEO's feel as safe and in control as possible. Also, should I have my CCW card ready to give to you with my DLL & Insurance? I haven't been pulled over for 14 years, but I know that it's eventually going to happen for something.
    Personally, 9 outta 10 times a person lets me know they are armed I do nothing different. I am not afraid of the up front honest law abiding people, so no need to disarm a good guy.
    A lot if not most officers prefer to disarm you. I think this is more dangerous than letting it go.

I would prefer that you have your CCW card out with your D/L for sure. That way if my gums are flapping and you dont get a chance to tell me your armed, I will notice the card right away and ask you.
    I would say something like "Heres my D/L and permit, I am armed. My pistol is on my left ankle, and its the only gun in the car. I would be happy to disarm with your instruction if you would like"
    I just got stopped by the highway patrol late last night on my way home from the gym, I told the trooper I was armed using the same speech I just quoted here... there was no misunderstanding, and we both laughed at me and away I went.
    It sounds a little mechanical, but I am sure it would flow better in real life. How ever you do it, just cover the same elements.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    A lot if not most officers prefer to disarm you
    I think that it depends on whree you are at. I dont know of any cop or agency that routinely disarms a legal CHL holder, but this is Arkansas. I'm sure it woudl be different in Ohio or Illinois or somewhere where guns are evil.

As an instructor I advise that if one is in doubt of how to proceed when stopped, present the CHL along with the DL. That eliminates any suprises and legally covers you. Its simple and effective.

Sixto...pistol on the ankle? you must have skinny legs...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think that it depends on whree you are at. I dont know of any cop or agency that routinely disarms a legal CHL holder, but this is Arkansas. I'm sure it woudl be different in Ohio or Illinois or somewhere where guns are evil.

As an instructor I advise that if one is in doubt of how to proceed when stopped, present the CHL along with the DL. That eliminates any suprises and legally covers you. Its simple and effective.

Sixto...pistol on the ankle? you must have skinny legs...
    Its very common here to disarm, I really dont know why. I thinks its stupid to unless there is another issue at play. I don't and won't, I dont want the added responsibility of another gun or somebody handling a weapon who's ability and training I am unsure of.

I just picked the ankle at random...
    If you must know, I have sexy legs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've only been stopped once, in a vehicle, while armed. It was at a sobriety checkpoint, in Lancaster. The trooper didn't disarm me or ask for my driver's license, insurance, or any thing else. When I stopped I showed him my CHL. He asked if I had my gun. I told him yes it's on my right side. He shined his flashlight through the windshield and said, "Sir I thank you for having your ID ready and for keeping your hands where I can see them. Have a good night."
    Last edited by jeffkirchner; March 14th, 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: To add "in a vehicle"

6- If you are guilty, admit so.
    Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation
    I never "admit" anything . Officer has a job to do so I let them . I am cordial and answer what needs to be answered , nothing more .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmmatssc View Post
    I never "admit" anything . Officer has a job to do so I let them . I am cordial and answer what needs to be answered , nothing more .
    That is OK if thats the way you feel, there is nothing wrong with that. Just dont insult the officer by pretending you were not speeding or whatever it is you got stopped for. That game gets very annoying and old.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This was good stuff!!!! I just read the first page but found it most helpful...since us here in Ohio today are allowed to conceal our weapons while in our vehicle. I will read the rest as time allows. Thanks
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Links