Traffic Stops 101 - Page 2

Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thanks for the list. I'm going to save it. I did have a question about a couple of items under the "So now we are ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 174

Thread: Traffic Stops 101

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,126
    Thanks for the list. I'm going to save it.

    I did have a question about a couple of items under the "So now we are stopped, and your about to meet me" section.

    3- save your cutie pooh jokes... I've heard them a million times.

    4-Don't ask me "is there a problem officer?"

    I have done both of these before. Why? The stress of being stopped by a LEO. This is a nerve racking event for the citizen (well it is for me anyway). After all, the citizen screwed up and they know they screwed up. The joking and stupid questions are a stupid attempt to calm themselves down

    Now that I have been informed, of course, I will try to avoid these faux pax's. It is apparent from your post that these things irritate you and I can understand why. As an accountant, I've heard all of the accountant jokes and they do get old the 1,000th time around.

    My question is, knowing that people will do these mainly because 1) they are stressed out and 2) they most likely haven't read your post and are unaware that they are irritating you, does this have a bearing on whether you write them a ticket or not?

    I am betting you can tell whether they are just nervous and ignorant or if they are trying to be a smart a$$. In the first instance, I am hoping you cut them some slack and in the second instance, nail 'em to the wall!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).


  2. #17
    VIP Member
    Array simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,017
    Good info SIXTO,thanks.

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array CopperKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spokane area, WA
    Posts
    6,742
    15- watching TV does not make you a lawyer, or even knowledgeable about what my job is.
    What if I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

    Ok, just kidding. Good post. Sounds like you had a bad shift. Hopefully tonight goes better. Couple things I hadn't considered before. Good info.
    eschew obfuscation

    The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    Copper , not to speak for anyone but there are no bad shifts in LE , only idiots you must arrest , and idiots you cannot arrest. Le does not have much contact with Joe Q. Public as a rule . Hell pick any small town , it only has one thief , the rest of em are trying to get thier stuff back lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  5. #20
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,347
    No, the goofy jokes and questions wonít make or break you; I cite based solely on violation and overall attitude of the driver.
    I use speeding violations as and example only because every one is familiar with them.
    Heres an example... I catch you going 40 in a 25 mph zone. Just based on that, you're getting a ticket. Now, after we talk and you say yeah, I was speeding, I'm late for a meeting, my dog needs to go out or whatever, I understand that. Remember, I am human too. I have those problems from time to time as well. You are going to be in much shape for me to give you a warning, or even knock down the speed to save you a few bucks. I.E. write the ticket for 35 mph, instead of a 40 mph. (yes, I can do that, it is legal.)
    Now if you deny your guilt in a disrespectful manner, guess what? Heres your ticket. Honesty is the key in most LEO's books.
    I donít mind someone disagreeing with me if the honestly feel that they did not commit the violation, but donít argue. Street side is not the time to question, argue or debate. If someone wants to do this, I will give them a chance too all they want, in the courtroom.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  6. #21
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    What if I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

    Ok, just kidding. Good post. Sounds like you had a bad shift. Hopefully tonight goes better. Couple things I hadn't considered before. Good info.
    No, not a bad shift, just a busy one. I'm off for the next three days.
    To bad I need to finish the trim work in my house.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    lol six too true , howeaver If i were backed into makeing a stop for a minor infraction ( i worked a lot of uniform but dammed little trafic in my time ) and you could give me an excuse i had not heard before i would let you go on your way .. ( yes that is legal too ) I just loved to collect the off the wall oddball crap folks would spout to justify any behavure .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  8. #23
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    lol six too true , howeaver If i were backed into makeing a stop for a minor infraction ( i worked a lot of uniform but dammed little trafic in my time ) and you could give me an excuse i had not heard before i would let you go on your way .. ( yes that is legal too ) I just loved to collect the off the wall oddball crap folks would spout to justify any behavure .
    I do too, I have heard some great stuff. I keep a note book with all the goofy, funny, scary and otherwise strange stuff I run into... I plan on writing a book when I retire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    LOL i did too , but then Al Gore invented the internet, and all my book writeing time went by the wayside , besides as my posts show speel cuckers have not been perfected yet ... when i bother with them .. there is something to say for dictating reports you know lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  10. #25
    VIP Member
    Array CopperKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spokane area, WA
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Copper , not to speak for anyone but there are no bad shifts in LE , only idiots you must arrest , and idiots you cannot arrest. Le does not have much contact with Joe Q. Public as a rule . Hell pick any small town , it only has one thief , the rest of em are trying to get thier stuff back lol .
    I understand the small town thing, I grew up in one and you are right on with that one.

    While there may not be any "bad" shifts, there are some days where everyone you contact has an attitude or a chip on their shoulder that, for some reason, they think you put there. But that's a discussion for another thread.
    eschew obfuscation

    The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

  11. #26
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    12,081

    Hmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Mods, I wasnít sure where the correct place for this is, as it will only touch on CCW issues. The CCW subject has been well addressed in other threads. Please move if needed.

    I decided to take the time and type all this out because I have seen a few "what to do if pulled over" threads, and thought it might be helpful to others here. Nothing I say here is law, legal advice or double secret insider information; it is just my thoughts after a long day of making traffic stops. Other LEO's please add on, I am tired now and I am sure I havenít thought of everything.
    I am sure I will think of more but I am tired. Feel free to ask whatever questions you have, or if youíre an LEO please add on.
    Perhaps because you are tired, your post has a harsh edge to it. If you carry that into your work you will one day get in trouble.

    There is a great little book by an ex-cop titled "Verbal Judo." Somewhere in there is a model dialogue for how a stop should go.

    It is my understanding that in many departments that dialogue is required, because it reduces misunderstandings and keeps tensions from escalating.

  12. #27
    Ex Member Array Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,570
    Perhaps because you are tired, your post has a harsh edge to it. If you carry that into your work you will one day get in trouble.
    Didn't read like that at all from where I am.

    Of course there is a world of difference between how someone conveys a message on a forum and how they convey messages with verbal communication.

    Hands up, has anyone here never been misunderstood or misconstrued on the web?

  13. #28
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Perhaps because you are tired, your post has a harsh edge to it. If you carry that into your work you will one day get in trouble.

    There is a great little book by an ex-cop titled "Verbal Judo." Somewhere in there is a model dialogue for how a stop should go.

    It is my understanding that in many departments that dialogue is required, because it reduces misunderstandings and keeps tensions from escalating.
    Yes, it does have a little harsh edge to it. So does a real world traffic stop. Partly because I was tired, partly to make it a little more interesting reading, and partly because I'm not the officer friendly type. ( I have a harsh edge too ) Mostly, it was written that way for the humor in it, and to let me vent a little.
    I have been through lots of verbal judo training, I think I even have a instructor rating in it, although its probably expired. The problem with the examples of how a traffic stop should go is that the general public does not read those examples, and each real stop is very different. Its good stuff, and works well in some situations. Dialogue is very important, as my post illustrates.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  14. #29
    1943 - 2009
    Array Captain Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    10,372
    The problem with the examples of how a traffic stop should go is that the general public does not read those examples, and each real stop is very different.
    Exactly.

    There is no such thing as a "routine" traffic stop, despite what the media says.

    Sixto, great post! Looks like things haven't changed much since I was an LEO thirty years ago.


    When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

    Rudyard Kipling


    Terry

  15. #30
    Member Array fhein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    n.e.florida
    Posts
    45
    SIXTO...Appreciate the advise, and I'm sure I speak for all here...We appreciate what you do and have a great couple days off. Look forward to the book. Maybe we will see you on Oprah! Stay safe!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Traffic Stops and CC
    By enfd250 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
  2. Police Begin Fingerprinting on Traffic Stops [Green Bay]
    By Janq in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: December 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
  3. Question to LEO's about traffic stops.
    By SleepingZ in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
  4. Traffic Stops
    By SelfDefense in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: July 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Search tags for this page

snyder traffic stops

Click on a term to search for related topics.