Traffic Stops 101 - Page 3

Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How about this excuse for speeding. "Officer, my wife ran off last week with a police officer, and I was afraid that you were him ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    How about this excuse for speeding. "Officer, my wife ran off last week with a police officer, and I was afraid that you were him bringing her back".
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

you seem like a good cop SIXTO with a good head on your shoulders. if i ever get pulled over, i hope they think like you (knocks on wood).
    What's this button do?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by downrange View Post
    you seem like a good cop SIXTO with a good head on your shoulders. if i ever get pulled over, i hope they think like you (knocks on wood).
    Thanks, but I scare myself sometimes, I'm not sure you want them thinking like me...

It all boils down to that golden rule we were all taught in kindergarten... treat others as you wish to be treated. If I stop a young woman, I treat her like I want my wife to be treated. If itís an older woman, my mother. A smartass kid, like my smartass kid.
    Itís a fine line we walk between being nice and professional, and being tactically sound to make sure we go home at the end of the day. I hope this thread will help those understand that a little more who did not understand before.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i'm absorbing all you say to the 'T' SIXTO. the few cops i bumped into back in the day ( i'm not golden mind you so there were a few) and they all had a 'front'. i'm not disrespecting that. maybe that's how they could best handle a professional situation. my uncle is a PA state Constable but not very open so i got nothing from that (other than he likes to collect a lot of guns). it sounds like your thinking like a human and that's more understandable. it could be this forum that gets you to open up and give us all, the real story on what you feel we should do. oh, gotcha on the 'safty thing' of us driving away before you do and putting our 'stuff' away. i guess i'm pretty quick on the draw with putting my wallet away than i thought.
    What's this button do?

Administrator
    A "front" is a defense mechanism used by all people; LEO's just use it more often for obvious reasons. Same with soldiers. They all talk tough about blood, guts and hoorah around the barracks, but when the war is over, they are a mess. The front allows you to do things that you normally would not be able to do. Such as working a messy murder scene or traffic crash, act hard, you become hard.
    The problem with the LEO front is that often times they canít shut it off, thatís why divorce and other social problems are so common among the LEO community. I chose a very different front to use under normal circumstances and it works well for me, but trust me, I can be the "bad cop" at the drop of a hat. I model my "bad cop" front after what I learned during my time as a DI in the military. That works very well. They know not to mess with you, but at the same time they know if they behave, you will do everything in your power to help them out. People think of you as a machine, and they donít want to mess with that.
    I keep work at work, and home life at home, so far so good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ron
    I have a story that I have never told publicly, but I will tell it here because I believe that it very apty points out the benefit of being polite and honest during a stop by an LEO. This happened years ago while I was younger and drinking. I had had far too much to drink and foolishly got in my car to drive home. I missed the turn to my street and found myself well on my way to the next town. Somehow remembering that we had a dinner date that night, and was already quite late, I turned around and started back toward home. I was apparently not only speeding at that point, but was also doing a bit of weaving on the road. At some point I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the flashing red lights. I pulled off the road, onto the parking area of a local civic theatre, rolled down my window and waited for the officer. As soon as he arrived at my door, I said something like, "I am really sorry officer, I have been drinking and realize that I should not be behind the wheel of my car." He then told me that he had his lights on for awhile before I stopped. I, again, apologized, telling him that I pulled over as soon as I saw his flashing lights and had never done anything like this before, which was true. He asked for my license and registration, which I gave him, and he then asked what I did for a living. I told him, and given what I did, fully expected to be arrested for DUI. I will never forget what happened next: I saw him thinking for what seemed like an eternity at the time, and he then said, "Get out of your car and lock it, I am taking you home. You are in enough trouble already, I don't want to destroy your career." And he did just that.

I will tell you that had he arrested me, which he would have been entirely justified in doing, my career would, in fact, have been over. I have been forever grateful to him and every time I read about some public figure being arrested for DUI, I always wonder why that officer did what he did. He really saved my life by not arresting me that terrible night. And, although this may sound somewhat overdramatic to some, I am not ashamed to say that I often say a prayer that that officer has remained safe over the years.

Ron

Assistant Administrator
    Amazing Ron - and thx for telling.

That cop was a saint for sure and I suspect he made an appraisal whereby he established you were a foolish but otherwise responsible young person with a career to lose.

In effect he gave you that one chance as an alternative to ruining you - probably feeling instinctively that you would not do that again. He was a law officer but very human too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    That's a good story Ron. It happens fairly often, as LEO's understand very well that one tiny mistake can toss out everything we have worked for. If I ever got a DUI, I'm done in LE. I think the way you handled it really helped you out.

I have driven my fair share of people home, who otherwise would have gone to jail. There are also other options... If I dont want to do the DUI, but they deserve other traffic tickets, I'll write those instead.
    Sometimes I'll park the car and keep their car keys to make them come to the police station to get them the next day. That seems to hit home, and its a clear warning shot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i got a question for you. say you get pulled over and you are smoking a cigg. what is the propper thing to do with it. let it burn or throw it out the window?

Well carbon, I'm not a LEO, but I would say throwing it out the window would be a bad idea, since that is littering. Put it out in an ash tray, old coke can or something instead.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon View Post
    i got a question for you. say you get pulled over and you are smoking a cigg. what is the propper thing to do with it. let it burn or throw it out the window?
    Swallow it.

J/K! I'd use my ashtray or do as Buckeye07 suggested.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I suppose swallowing it would work too SIXTO, might now digest too well though. I remember seeing one time on some "Wildest Police Chases" type show a BG pulled over initially, and then threw a cig into the officer's face when he walked up to the window in order to try to buy extra time to get away.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I remember seeing one time on some "Wildest Police Chases" type show a BG pulled over initially, and then threw a cig into the officer's face when he walked up to the window in order to try to buy extra time to get away.
    Yeah, don't do that, you will get a ticket for sure.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tell me do cops give more of a break to people that have decals on their car that say to support your local LE?
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Wow, I think that you covered it all Sixto. It was quite amusing to read as I have experienced all of the same annoying acts that you describe.

Altough I don't play golf with my Chief. I am a union delegate, so that would be a big no-no.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links