Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Rugerman Tell me do cops give more of a break to people that have decals on their car that say to support ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops 101

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
    Tell me do cops give more of a break to people that have decals on their car that say to support your local LE?
    No, because most people have those stickers because they think its going to get them out of a ticket. If it were current, I might ask you about it, giving you a good chance to make me sway one way or the other though. The best way to show that you support your local LE is to be polite and treat me as you want me to treat you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Wow, I think that you covered it all Sixto. It was quite amusing to read as I have experienced all of the same annoying acts that you describe.

Altough I don't play golf with my Chief. I am a union delegate, so that would be a big no-no.
    I am very lucky, my Chief is a great guy. He is a Vietnam vet, worked 30+ years for a large city as a street cop. He retired and became our Chief. Very down to earth, and he plays with our union rep too! He supports us 100%, and will even come to a call from time to time if we need an extra hand. To bad he is going to retire next year... he wants more time to play golf.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thumbs up Reply to Ron

I had a similar experience about a month after returning from Viet Nam. I was leaving the NCO Club at Ft Knox on 31W heading into Radcliff. I was DRUNK and had no business driving. A Radcliff police officer pulled me over as soon as I hit the city limits. He didn't even waste time with a sobriety test. He asked the guy who was with me if he thought he could do a better job of driving and with a positive answer let him. We talked for what seemed like hours along the highway and it turned out he was a retired First Sergeant and knew what a career ender a DWI would be for a new buck sergeant, even in 1971. Thirty six years later I owe a great deal to that guy.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

2- donít complain to me that my spotlight is blinding you... Duh! Why do you think I did that?
    I do hate this. So I move my mirrors. I fail to see the benefit to me in having a really bright light shining in my eyes.

On cell phones, what if a passenger is talking on one? Do you expect him to hang up?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I do hate this. So I move my mirrors. I fail to see the benefit to me in having a really bright light shining in my eyes.

On cell phones, what if a passenger is talking on one? Do you expect him to hang up?
    the benefit is not for the driver being pulled over, its for the officer to gain a extra advantage ( rightly so).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

Yup, what rocky said.

For the cell phone, yes I prefer they do but I wont make an issue of it. I have had people call their buddies to come on over to where I stopped them. Their intentions were not bad, but it was a eye opener and it made me think.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Still though, it is not illegal to move the mirrors, correct? Until it is, I will not let myself be blinded.

I get the phone thing, there are people who should not be communicating to the outside world in the midst of a traffic stop.

Administrator
    Still though, it is not illegal to move the mirrors, correct? Until it is, I will not let myself be blinded.

I get the phone thing, there are people who should not be communicating to the outside world in the midst of a traffic stop.
    No, its no problem at all to move the mirrors, if you do my intended goal with the spotlight is still met.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Of course the real lesson here is to not do anything that will get you pulled over in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Good advice for sure! I cannot imagine what it must be like to stop people day after day and hear the same tired lines over and over. I seem to have a new respect for LEOs since I started carrying. It helps to put things in perspective.
    Gets pretty boring, after about 60 days on the force I think I had heard everything. Not a LEO anymore, but I have a lot of good stories to tell at parties.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I'll take it your not a smoker SIXTO. i can appreciate that. but I'm not swallowing it. fortunately i have a smokeless ashtray to drop them into. i live fairly close to Philly and this state, let alone the city, doesn't need any more garbage on the street. i even got my elderly parents feeling guilt about throwing them out the window when i drive them. oh yeah, ...I'm not swallowing it! :)
    What's this button do?

Speaking of cutie-poo jokes that make me want to puke, What I really HATE is when Im in a 7-11, a restaurant, etc., and someone with a misbehaving child says , "Do you see that cop over there? Well, you better behave/stop crying/put the knife down, etc., or I'll have him come over here and ARREST you/take you to jail/beat you with his nightstick!" I HATE that. What do people think that nonsense teaches thier children? They are teaching the child to mistrust & hate Police Officers. In thier eyes we are being demonized as an evil "boogeyman" to be hated and feared. When I was a youngster, we were taught that the Police were our freind, that in an emergency we should seek him/her out for assistance no matter what. When I was a rookie that used to really get under my skin. Now days, though, when this happens, I stop whatever Im doing, I walk right over to the child and its parent, and with a smile on my face,I say"That is absolutely not true, young Lady/sir. I arrest only bad mothers & fathers". This usually gets my point across.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

And ANOTHER thing I really HATE. When Ive got my Dog out of the car to search for evidence, track a missing child, search a building for a possable hidden burglar, track a suspect from a crime scene, etc., That is not the time to tell me about the dog you had when you were ten, and wonderful "Fluffy" was or was/is sooo much bigger /brighter/better /whatever than my German Shepherd. What are these people thinking? Im there to do my job, and playing "twenty questions" right then and there is inaproppriate. Can"t thier fascinating annecdote about thier poodle wait until the job at hand is done?
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

Administrator
    Oh yes! So true Rick. In fact I started to carry those badge stickers that kids love in my back pocket. When ever I hear that non sense, I go over to the kid and give him a sticker and out the parent right then and there. I do get so tired of hearing that garbage.

K9's... on my gosh, people do stupid crap when the dog comes out. I'm not a K9 officer (yet) but I do work vey closely with our K9 unit as well as other depts. I have been on plenty of tracks as a back up officer. I do a lot of decoy work for them, and I have my own GSDs, shutzhund is a hobby of mine, I got one certified in tracking and narco just for the heck of it.

Anyway, my point in all that is I understand what you are saying... once I was backing up a K9 team from the S.O., his dog is just a wee bit high strung... a lady came over to the dog with her terrier to "visit". Well you know the rest of the story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have seen exactly what you guys are saying SIXTO and Rick. I also think things must get really annoying for the mounted officers that Columbus has. Anytime they get brought out for crowd control every drunk college kid who has ever ridden or even seen a horse wants to come over and pet it and talk to them about when they fell off a pony at the fairgrounds when they were 10. I have spent a good deal of my life around horses, and I feel no desire to do so, but I'll tell ya what, they have some of the best behaved and friendliest horses I have ever seen, and those some of those cops, despite the funny helmets and boots are dame fine horsemen/women.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    An old acquaintance of mine was in Chicago several years ago, during the winter, and got pulled. So he sits there waiting, waiting, finally looks back at the LEO, who motions for him to come back. Seems the LEO was not about to get out of his car in a snowstorm, so he had all his detainees come to the cruiser window for the interview!

Dangerous. Just a few months ago I worked a crash that resulted in a Trooper fatality. Was writing a ticket when an 84 year old man sideswiped him.

I have had LEOs reduce my speed in times past, but here in SE VA, it apparently is no longer fashionable.

On occasions that I have been stopped, whether I get a ticket or not, I always say "Thank you" as the LEO turns to walk away. I am sincere, because so often it IS a thankless job.

When I get pulled over, i place my hands on the outside of the window, then there's no question!
    Last edited by paramedic70002; February 21st, 2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links