Traffic Stops 101 - Page 5

Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I am very lucky, my Chief is a great guy. He is a Vietnam vet, worked 30+ years for a large ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops 101

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I am very lucky, my Chief is a great guy. He is a Vietnam vet, worked 30+ years for a large city as a street cop. He retired and became our Chief. Very down to earth, and he plays with our union rep too! He supports us 100%, and will even come to a call from time to time if we need an extra hand. To bad he is going to retire next year... he wants more time to play golf.
    We had a Chief like that. The new Chief forgot what it was like to be a cop. He is trying to change too many things, including things that he enjoyed before becoming the Chief.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    We had a Chief like that. The new Chief forgot what it was like to be a cop. He is trying to change too many things, including things that he enjoyed before becoming the Chief.
    To many are like this, like we need another person keeping us from doing our jobs.
    The town that borders ours has a Chief that has never been a full time cop! He came from the military, spent a year P/T and is now the Chief. He's the biggest ass I've seen in this field. He'll come into our city, interrupt a traffic stop and demand the specifics of why we stopped this person etc. Our Chief says to arrest him if he ever does it again! (that would be funny as hell, but I'm not so sure I want to be that officer) He tried to run the Marines out of a funeral for a Marine that was killed in Iraq... He runs this show, not the Marines! He really said that, in front of the family and everything. His guys are jumping ship left and right, going to much lesser depts. just to get out. With all that said, that towns admin. loves the guy! I don't understand it at all. Good leadership is hard to come by, I guess a good Chief should not be taken for granted.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    To many are like this, like we need another person keeping us from doing our jobs.
    The town that borders ours has a Chief that has never been a full time cop! He came from the military, spent a year P/T and is now the Chief. He's the biggest ass I've seen in this field. He'll come into our city, interrupt a traffic stop and demand the specifics of why we stopped this person etc. Our Chief says to arrest him if he ever does it again! (that would be funny as hell, but I'm not so sure I want to be that officer) He tried to run the Marines out of a funeral for a Marine that was killed in Iraq... He runs this show, not the Marines! He really said that, in front of the family and everything. His guys are jumping ship left and right, going to much lesser depts. just to get out. With all that said, that towns admin. loves the guy! I don't understand it at all. Good leadership is hard to come by, I guess a good Chief should not be taken for granted.
    He tried to run the Marines out of a funeral for a Marine that was killed in Iraq... --He's still in one piece?

This thread does have good info though. Thanks for the LEO perspective as it really does help. Most of the things in the original post I already knew. Although I found myself in a stop last week in NoVA (yes running late for an emergency outage at work and NO I didn't try to explain an excuse - I know you guys aren't stupid). I just took it like I should and thanked him. When he pulled me over I thought I had everything ready and had my hands at 10 and 2 with the dome light on and the car off, but right as he stepped up I realized I had left my Reg in the glove box ( I learned from this one). I had to tell him I had left it in the box and asked if I could reach for it. I figure the less extra movements unless asked to...the better. So needless to say I keep a copy of the reg stuffed in the visor now.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator

SIXTO...

You've impressed me with your 'start and additions' to this excellent thread...

I have been treated pretty well by most LE...but I have run into a couple of strange ones...just like in any profession...

One usually reaps what is sown...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You've impressed me with your 'start and additions' to this excellent thread...

I have been treated pretty well by most LE...but I have run into a couple of strange ones...just like in any profession...

One usually reaps what is sown...

OMO

ret
    Thanks, I have been enjoying this thread myself.

True, very true. Its even true with the local dirtballs. Treat them fair and they will take care of you down the road.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Heres another addition, this happened this afternoon.

I stopped a lady for speed, 55/35. 20 over, good ticket material...
    I do the routine stuff, scratch out a ticket come back to her car and she tells me then that she was rushing home because her husband had a stroke, and she needed to get some info to the doctor...
    Its to late, I already called it in, wrote the ticket, theres no return now! Would I have wrote the ticket? Hell no! This lady was not BSing me at all, but I had to do it at that point. Now I made her tough time worse, and I feel like an ass.
    If you do have a good excuse, tell the officer right away! Hell, I would have given this lady a ride in my go-fast interceptor if it would have helped.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Thats too bad SIXTO. I know a while back there was a bad house fire up here after a party and an old neighbor of mine was injured pretty severely in it. His dad made it up in record time with the help of a Highway Patrolman after he had originally been pulled over on the drive.

On the other hand, a kid I went to high school with punched himself in the nose when he saw a patrol car pull out behind him on Ronald Reagan Highway. Since he was bleeding all over himself and told the officer he was just trying to get home to take care of it, the officer let him go.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    On the other hand, a kid I went to high school with punched himself in the nose when he saw a patrol car pull out behind him on Ronald Reagan Highway. Since he was bleeding all over himself and told the officer he was just trying to get home to take care of it, the officer let him go.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, what a meathead. I would have taken the ticket rather than doing that! Do you know if it was Blue Ash?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, he wasn't the brightest bulb in the bunch. But he was under 18 and already had a couple of tickets, I think one more would have gotten him suspended until 18. Nah, it wasn't Blue Ash, it was further west, out around Colerain.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Thats just funny! Even if I knew the kid just did that, I'd let him go, an 'A' for effort!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, Sixto, I have a lot of respect for LEOs and have been on about 25 hours of police ride alongs. I also aspire to be a cop some day.

You're the cop, not me, but I have two problems with your post.

1. Understand that when the lights come on it can be difficult for drivers to know where to pull over, so you should be patient if they drive a little bit down the road looking for a spot that they think is safe.

2. Do not point your flashlight in people's eyes! I'd love to use a few expletives here but I won't for fear of getting flamed. It's happened to me before (I was on the job taking a trash bag to a dumpster at night doing nothing wrong, and this pig held his light in my eyes for 30 seconds), and it is painful (perhaps no different than striking someone). It is completely unnecessary. You should be using your flashlight to search the inside of the car for threats-there are no threats on a person's face and no reason to blind them. I don't know if you use your flashlight like this on people who commit light traffic violations-but according to my experiences with LEOs it wouldn't surprise me a bit. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but that type of thing is abuse of power and I stand by my argument. IMO, too many cops hide behind the "officer safety" argument for justifying this crap. I don't fear the police, but I can see why people do.

Senior Moderator
    Andrew,
    First of all, there is no need for nomex underwear on this forum, flaming isn't tolerated. Expletives aren't either as this is a family friendly forum, so good call on not using any.

I am not a cop, I'm in college, although I know a good number of them, and I wasn't the greatest driver in my younger days, nor were my friends. Usually people know a cop is going to pull them over before they get pulled over. The cop pulls behind and follows for a mile or two, then lights you up. In my experience by the time the lights go on the driver is so unnerved by waiting for them to that they are ready to pull over wherever they are at that point.

Now, I like watching police videos on tv. "Cops", and all those shows on Court TV or Spike TV are extremely entertaining to me. Last night on one of them in rural Texas a woman drove 6 miles with the lights and sirens following her, to her house, because she said she was afraid to pull over anywhere else. That seems a little ridiculous to me, and then the officer had to deal with the husband who came out of the house too.

There hasn't been any mention yet of using flashlights to blind drivers in this thread. There is talk of using spotlights which are on the police cruiser, but not of the officer using a flashlight to bling a driver who has been pulled over.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by carbon View Post
    i got a question for you. say you get pulled over and you are smoking a cigg. what is the propper thing to do with it. let it burn or throw it out the window?
    I thought you were supposed to put it out in the open beer can......
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
    Well, Sixto, I have a lot of respect for LEOs and have been on about 25 hours of police ride alongs. I also aspire to be a cop some day.

You're the cop, not me, but I have two problems with your post.

1. Understand that when the lights come on it can be difficult for drivers to know where to pull over, so you should be patient if they drive a little bit down the road looking for a spot that they think is safe.

2. Do not point your flashlight in people's eyes! I'd love to use a few expletives here but I won't for fear of getting flamed. It's happened to me before (I was on the job taking a trash bag to a dumpster at night doing nothing wrong, and this pig held his light in my eyes for 30 seconds), and it is painful (perhaps no different than striking someone). It is completely unnecessary. You should be using your flashlight to search the inside of the car for threats-there are no threats on a person's face and no reason to blind them. I don't know if you use your flashlight like this on people who commit light traffic violations-but according to my experiences with LEOs it wouldn't surprise me a bit. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but that type of thing is abuse of power and I stand by my argument. IMO, too many cops hide behind the "officer safety" argument for justifying this crap. I don't fear the police, but I can see why people do.
    An officer is not going to put the lights on unless there IS a safe area to pull over. Too often people just keep driving or pull over in an area that becomes unsafe for the person stopped AND the officer.

I put my spot light in the DS mirror so that the person stopped can not see me approaching the vehicle. This gives me a tactical edge. They can overt their eyes if they like. I have never shined my hand held flashlight directly into someones eyes for any period of time, but I have used it to distract someone who was a threat.

And please do not refer to LEOs as pigs. I have never observed an LEO on this forum speaking negatively about NON-LEO, so please refrain from the name calling.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Andrew,

There hasn't been any mention yet of using flashlights to blind drivers in this thread. There is talk of using spotlights which are on the police cruiser, but not of the officer using a flashlight to bling a driver who has been pulled over.
    You're right, not flashlights, I misread. But still, he does admit to using the light that blinds people. Not a flashlight, but still blinding them.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links