Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NY27 I have never shined my hand held flashlight directly into someones eyes for any period of time, but I have used ...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops 101

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post

I have never shined my hand held flashlight directly into someones eyes for any period of time, but I have used it to distract someone who was a threat.

And please do not refer to LEOs as pigs. I have never observed an LEO on this forum speaking negatively about NON-LEO, so please refrain from the name calling.
    So you do shine your flashlight in people's eyes or not? I can understand it if they're a clear threat or they're acting irrationally.

I don't have any problem with LEOs and I certainly don't use the term "pigs" for all of them. In fact, I'd only use it to describe this one gentleman with the Phoenix Police Department who shined his light directly into my eyes for at least 30 seconds on two separate occasions. I wasn't a threat by the way, I was carrying two 43 gallon bags full of garbage.

If you don't think it's painful go into a dark room, take your duty flashlight and shine it in your eyes. You're feeling the bleaching in the back of your eyes.

The 4 police officers I did ride alongs with didn't feel a need to do the same thing. So I think that cop was a "pig," no offense to you.

2. Remove Ads

Andrew, adjust your mirrors when the spotlight is put on them, you won't be blinded, but you won't be able to see the officer approaching, which as already stated is the goal.

+1 NY27, Good post as this forum does not need name calling, by anyone.

Assistant Administrator
    Regardless of intention the term ''pig'' is still deprecated here.

We may all have had a less than pleasant experience but our mission is support of LE, of which we have a good many members. We try to focus on the good guys
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I only shined my StreamLight in someone's face if I thought they were a threat, but took pains not to do so accidently or if un-warranted.
    In the cases where I did shine it in thier face, I do not apologize, as it was for my safety. In my mind, better for someone to be momentarily dis-comforted, then myself or any one else be shot, which is not a momentary discomfort.

Four officers you rode with didn't abuse this, but one might have? That alone should show you not to judge all LEO's by the behavior of one!

"Focus on the good guys" I was trying to say that as well P95, and was typing as you posted.

Administrator
    Andrew, your right, I'm the cop, not you. I say this because even though you have 25 hrs of wisdom under your belt, you have no idea what you are talking about. The good thing is your here asking questions. I don't mean to scare you off, ask all the questions you want, that is the purpose of this thread.

The original post explains and answers both questions you had. NY27 did a fine job expanding on the original post, no need for me to repeat it.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 24th, 2007 at 02:54 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I thought you were supposed to put it out in the open beer can......
    O.K., that was funny! ... one another note, when i saw the post that used the "P" word, i smacked my forehead expecting the worst when i scrolled down. i'm glad it turned out the way it did. hats off to everyone who kept it civil in commenting after that. like i'm perfect, yeah right. i've said it to myself countless times when the time came up. but, the comments on when to pull over... it's common sense to me. pull over to where and when it's safe to do so and not an obstacle. yesterday, i swear, there was a fender bender that i drove by in a more than familiar area. the 2 cars stopped in a right turning lane which soon added a cruiser, blocking traffic for at least 200'. the right turning lane with no restrictive traffic light, shortly (like 30 feet) led to a large parking which had a Blockbuster, rite-aid, what have you, and a abandoned supermarket with enough room to play pro-football. it just doesn't make any sense. unless they were just petrified about being pulled over, i don't get it. i passed them again on the way home shortly, still there, and they obviously weren't criminals or fugitives just lacking in common sense to move off the driven roads to handle business. i really think in some situations some people get really self centered and i see it more because i'm not like that at all.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    Pride,Integrity,Guts

Administrator
    The people who use the term "pig" are generally closer to that farm critter than most LEO's. That term is used by the undesriables of society, the same ones who live in public housing and wallow in there own filth, waiting for the next meal from the government trough. The slop is left overs from the working society.
    The last time I was called a "pig" was from a guy I arrested for rape...a 13 year old girl was his victim. I chased him on foot for about a mile and caught him when he ran out of steam. He fought for a little bit.
    On our way to the jail, he told me I was slow, a wimp, and a pig.
    I laughed out loud, and reminded him that I was faster than him, he could not beat me in our fight (he was wearing my handcuffs after all)
    and that pigs lived in pens... exactly what his new home is, for at least the next few years. He was quite the rest of the ride.

PM me if you want to see his picture, he is up for parole this month! They cut him a plea deal!!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The people who use the term "pig" are generally closer to that farm critter than most LEO's. That term is used by the undesriables of society, the same ones who live in public housing and wallow in there own filth, waiting for the next meal from the government trough. The slop is left overs from the working society.
    The last time I was called a "pig" was from a guy I arrested for rape...a 13 year old girl was his victim. I chased him on foot for about a mile and caught him when he ran out of steam. He fought for a little bit.
    On our way to the jail, he told me I was slow, a wimp, and a pig.
    I laughed out loud, and reminded him that I was faster than him, he could not beat me in our fight (he was wearing my handcuffs after all)
    and that pigs lived in pens... exactly what his new home is, for at least the next few years. He was quite the rest of the ride.

PM me if you want to see his picture, he is up for parole this month! They cut him a plea deal!!
    As a child I lived in public housing and ate with Government assistance.

I don't use the P word or other derogatory words for anyone.
    I started working at age 8, selling soft pretzels door to door early in the mornings and got a job selling produce at age 12.
    I made it most of the way through school and served in the military and a few years later I completed my education and went on to College for a B.S. in Comp Sci.

I work, pay taxes, own 2 homes and never had any problems with the law.
    I also donate money and time to youth activities and activities for seniors on fixed incomes.

My brother owns 8 homes inc an apartment building and drives a Jag. Besides being a Master electrician, my brother also owns 2 busnesses

So much for us undesireables/pigs who lived in public housing and survived on Govt. subsidy.
    Last edited by .45acp; February 25th, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    As a child I lived in public housing and ate with Government assistance.

I don't use the P word or other derogatory words for anyone.
    I started working at age 8, selling soft pretzels door to door early in the mornings and got a job selling produce at age 12.
    I made it most of the way through school and served in the military and a few years later I completed my education and went on to College for a B.S. in Comp Sci.

I work, pay taxes, own 2 homes and never had any problems with the law.

So much for us pigs who lived in public housing and survived on Govt. subsidy.
    I applaud your hard work... but you may have taken my post wrong.
    Cetainly you are not an "undesriable of society", it was aimed at those who do not use the welfare system as a lifestyle, not a temporary crutch as its intended.
    In my line of work, I have come across plenty good people caught in a bad situation, so I do understand your point. Please don't take offense in my illustration of a mind set.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No offense taken.
    There are well off, white collar types I know of who may be described as undesirable.
    Just a statement that people cannot always help the situation that they are in and that no group of people can be lumped together based on ill conceived perceptions.

Yep, we were inner city street kids and proud of it to this day.
    We know we can take the bad times and deal with it as well as the good times.
    We both feel that those bad times made us stronger.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    There are well off, white collar types I know of who may be described as undesirable.
    This is absolutely true.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't know whether it's funny or sad, maybe both. But we both spent years losing our accents and lingo but we still speak "Old School" with each other.

I have some LEO anecdotes that bothered me... one for over 10 years

I was pulled over in high school driving my brother's pick-up. He had the rear plate light out. I was on my way to pick up a pizza for my brother and his wife. I get pulled over and they ask for the paper work. I explain that this is my brother's truck and I am going to get a pizza for he and his wife. They ask if they can look in the glove box. Being a 16 year old kid, I said, "OK." They find a black film case in the glove box and one of them opens it up and says, "Son, you are in a world of trouble..." He then looks at his partner shows him the contents of the case and says, "Have you ever seen that much marijuana stuffed into a case like this?" At this point, I go pale, feel like vomitting, I am sweating bullets, I'm shaking, I am about to cry and I can't even speak. They stand there looking at me and smiling. Then they show me the contents and it is full of dry wall screws. They say that my brother should fix the light and I should drive safely.

In medical school, there was a neurosurgeon who was called in emergently by the neurosurgeon on call to assist in a case where this teen was being life flighted in from another part of the state and was in grave condition after a life threatsning head injury. There was a speed limit change from 35 to 25 for a strip of approximately 5 blocks and the driving neurosurgeon continued at the higher speed. She was pulled over, explained the situation and sat for about 25 minutes while the officer was citing her. Perhaps her attitude stank, I recall, as a student, that it did as an attending, but she didn't have the luxury of flashing red lights and dispatch to aid in her higher speed travel and this was an emergent life threatening situation.

I was driving to the hospital at 23:00ish as I had a patient that I was inducing for labor. I wans't paying attention to my velocity ( I was rocking out to my CD) and as luck would have it, I was stopped. I admit, I was wrong, and I knew I was wrong when I looked down at my speedometer... 52 in a 35 (yeah, I was toast...) I'm wearing scrubs and have my hospital name tag on. I have an extra hospital tag that reads Dr. ____ clipped to the visor that is in plain view. I stop, roll the window down, place my hands on the steering wheel, and I wait... didn't think about the dome light. The patrolman looks at me and asks if I know why I have been stopped. I reply, "Yes, I was paying too much attention to my music and not enough to my speed." He informs that I was travelling 50 in a 35 zone. He asks me where I am going in such a rush. I informed him that I was on my way to the hospital, but that I didn't intend to be going so fast. He gets the requisite papers and then goes back to the "office" for about 20 minutes. When he comes back, he gives me a ticket (which was well deserved). He then grimaces and mutters something about how he can't stand that doctors think that they can drive like maniacs if they are called to the hospital...

What am I getting at?
    *Treat motorists with respect, even the young ones
    *Don't traumatize somebody because you're bored
    *Please be as efficient as you can when ticketing
    *For goodness sake, don't treat motorists according to personal biases. If you are biased about groups of people, keep it to yourself. Heck, if an officer showed up in my office or hospital with an MI, I wouldn't stereotype and blame it on "all those years at the donut house...". That would be unprofessional, unfair, and unkind.

I value our LEOs. I have a great deal of respect for the job that they do. Sixto, I appreciate your perspective and I will keep your list in mind should I meet another LEO on the road.
    Last edited by newmexiglock; February 26th, 2007 at 08:57 AM.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Administrator
    Newmexiglock, I like and agree with all your bullet points at the end of your post. I will admit the first story did make me chuckle a little bit, as a doctor I am sure you understand the dark humor people pick up due to their occupations. That doesn't make it right, but I did find a little humor in it.

You do bring up a good topic, though. Entitlement... Maybe you can answer some of my questions. In the city that I work, we have a lot of medical professionals, doctors in particular. This is due to the convenience of several major hospitals, good schools and plenty of nice homes to choose from. (not to mention a fantastic police dept. )
    I stop a lot of these people flying around town. The docs very rarely will even mention they are doctors unless its within the context of the stop for some reason. Nurses on the other hand... holy cow! Its immediately "I'm a nurse, you have no business stopping me" attitude.
    Some the worst stops were with nurses. I have had them threaten to kill me, one even told me that next time I come to the hospital, I'll never find out whats in that IV they give me. That nut bag lost both her drivers and nursing license. I had one stop, and as came up to the window she yelled out "I'm a nurse, and I'm to busy for this crap" and took off. I chased her all the way through town and arrest her in the lot of her employer. Nope, not a hospital, an optometrist.
    Sorry to any of you nurse's on this board, but on a whole you guys are horrible with the entitlement attitude. Why is this?
    My wife is a nurse practitioner, she can't answer it either.
    Other groups of people do this too, its just that the medical people were brought up first.

Do I write medical people? Yes, but with the same frequency I do plumbers, accountants or what ever.
    If a doc or nurse is doing the 50 in a 35 through town to get to a call out at the hospital will I write them... Maybe. If its 4am and no one is out no, probably not. If its 4pm and all kinds of traffic, will I? Yup.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links