Traffic Stops 101 - Page 7

Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't have a good answer for your entitlement question, but I can only imagine that you get a lot of it. I know that ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    I don't have a good answer for your entitlement question, but I can only imagine that you get a lot of it. I know that some of the nurses that I have worked with are a little out there, but then so are some of my collegues... perhaps they would all say the same about me, though. Good thread.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

SIXTO, I have the same problem with Corrections Officers.
    You would think, they of all people would know better.

And after the first "PASS" they get the full ride.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

It really does seem that nurses do have the attitude of being to busy or important.
    I sure am glad my brothers (Nurse) wife won't read gun boards.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Nurses?

Ok, I feel I have to respond to the allegations about nurses since I am one myself.

I agree that some nurses feel a sense of entitlement when it comes to traffic stops. It always upsets me to hear a nurse say, “I got pulled over, but I told the officer I was going to work and he let me go”. Most of the police around where I live extend a level of professional courtesy that is probably wasted on these people. In fact I know some of the “young cute” nurses (I’m an old fat nurse. ) who tell the police, “I’m a nurse.” when they get pulled over to get out of tickets. It really upsets me.

I would like to throw out the thesis that there are some nurses who do have jobs where they need to get someplace as quickly as possible, but these are the ones who won’t risk getting pulled over because it would take longer than obeying the speed limits, if they were pulled over. (However, if I lived in a rural area, I would get a set of lights like the volunteer firefighters use, but doing that is governed by it’s own set of rules.)

And I do apologize for taking this thread way off track……….And now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.

Administrator
    freethead, you didnt take it off track. Not all are like that, like I said, my wife is nurse. She got a ticket a few months ago. She is a nurse and her husband is an LEO, but she desevered the ticket and thats what she got.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Having received a few tickets that were work related, I feel the need to comment.

69/55 at 0300 when there are no other vehicles on the interstate in an ambulance: Yep guilty, but what's the point?

Reckless driving in a personal vehicle with red lights on, the Trooper pulled HALF WAY over to let me pass, then wrote me for crossing the line after following me to the scene! Also tried to tell the judge he paced me at 75/55 when I never exceeded 65, and got the pace from a stopped position in 8/10 of a mile, from where I passed him til where I turned. Jeesh!!! Unlike nurses, EMTs work hand in hand with LEOs on scenes. Just a LITTLE courtesy would be nice.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Displaying respect and manners..

Ya know at one time I felt led to pursue a career in law enforcement. During my college days I interviewed for a deputy sheriff position. I was asked You are on patrol and pull over your mother for speeding, whatcha gonna do write her a ticket or let her go. I didn't know you could do either one. Needless to say we are all much better off I didn't choose a career enforcing the laws of the land.

The things you enumerate and reflect on are almost the direct opposite of how I, a civilian driver, was taught to respond in a traffic stop. Many, many, many years ago widely accepted and polite behavior dictated I stop/pull over imediately( regardless of a LEO "hitting the overheads.") and get out of my car with my driver's license in my hand.

I realize the necessity of what you have stated for your safety, the times how they do change.

PS. Here is a naïve question. Why not do just give everyone the ticket you stopped them for instead of weighing the decision based on actions and attitude?
    Last edited by INTJ; February 27th, 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spellin'
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    Ya know at one time I felt led to pursue a career in law enforcement. During my college days I interviewed for a deputy sheriff position. I was asked You are on patrol and pull over your mother for speeding, whatcha gonna do write her a ticket or let her go. I didn't know you could do either one. Needless to say we are all much better off I didn't choose a career enforcing the laws of the land.

The things you enumerate and reflect on are almost the direct opposite of how I, a civilian driver, was taught to respond in a traffic stop. Many, many, many years ago widely accepted and polite behavior dictated I stop/pull over imediately( regardless of a LEO "hitting the overheads.") and get out of my car with my driver's license in my hand.

I realize the necessity of what you have stated for your safety, the times how they do change.

PS. Here is a naïve question. Why not do just give everyone the ticket you stopped them for instead of weighing the decision based on actions and attitude?
    Just like arresting folks, Not enough room in the jail if
    we arrested every one that needed it.

It's called discretion.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

If I am reading the original post by Sixto correctly, it is clear that he was trying to help the members of this forum. He made a comical yet helpful list of what to do and not to do when pulled over. This may actually prevent a combatcarry.com member from getting a summons. Yet some took this opportunity to, for lack of a better term, "bash" LEOs. These type of posts were very typical on PDO but I have seldom seen them here.

Lets remember that this was intended to be helpful.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Assistant Administrator
    Yet some took this opportunity to, for lack of a better term, "bash" LEOs
    NY - Indeed at times things do verge on the very thin ice and we do not wish to have any ''bashing'' here at all. But for sake of compromize probably let some things stand that come over rather borderline - on basis that overall they get stomped on in the broad content of a thread.

Our wish is not to over-moderate to the extreme and so there are some views expressed which may not always be quite what we want. It's a hard task keeping the peace - CC peace that is

SIXTO's suggestions have IMO overall been of immense value and that is the message I hope folks will take home from his post.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Yes, my intent is as stated by NY27. It was also to let me vent a little bit after a long night.
    I don't mind questions or stories at all. There are a few LEO's on this board, I am sure anyone of them will be happy to chime in to answer questions. I am enjoying this thread and like to answer anybody's questions that I can.
    If bashing is what you want to do, go ahead, just be prepared to get shut down rather quickly. Like I said, I've heard it all before and I am sure the other LEO's have too. All that I ask is to keep it within the rules of the board, I dont want this thread to get shut down.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I enjoy reading posts by LEO's on this and other boards. Since I don't know any personally, it's interesting and somewhat educational to read what they're thinking and to get an idea of the general mindset among officers (at least the ones that post on message boards).

I read Sixto's original post a while back and have popped into the thread occasionally just to see what was making it so popular. Now, I guess I'll toss in what I thought upon my initial read.

Although I haven't had a ticket in probably twenty years, I have been stopped twice and been through many a sobriety checkpoint. Both times I was stopped it was very late at night and I was coming home from work. Both times I honestly had NO IDEA why I was being pulled over until I was told by the officers (kind of goofy reasons, I think they were fishing for drunks). Both encounters were completely civil and pleasant. Since it was late at night I wanted the cop to know I was no threat whatsoever so I did turn off the ignition, hit the inside light, and kept my hands on the steering wheel until he got to my window. I wasn't upset about being pulled over. Maybe a little nervous just because when a ship from Close Encounters suddenly appears in your mirror ten feet away from your bumper it can tend to startle.

I thought all Sixto's points were pretty good except for one. The thing about pulling over right away made me chuckle. Both times I was stopped it was on a bridge. Four lanes. 55mph speed limit. Nowhere to pull over without giving the cop a better than average chance of being on Amazing Police Videos. Both times I immediately hit my turn signal just to let him know I saw the light show behind me, slowed slightly, and continued on past the bridge to a business parking lot. That got us both completely off the road. I didn't drive all the way home and I didn't pass a lot of safe parking places before stopping. I stopped at the first good spot. Did I do good?

Administrator
    Yeah, I'd say you done did good. I don't know why they would want to stop you on the bridge, that is a foolish place to conduct a traffic stop. If it was a short bridge, the LEO was probably hoping for you to do just what you did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Great post SIXTO, especially the part about letting the LEO know that you had a good reason for speeding (or whatever the traffic violation is) before he/she writes up the ticket.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Great post SIXTO, especially the part about letting the LEO know that you had a good reason for speeding (or whatever the traffic violation is) before he/she writes up the ticket.
    Yes, that is key. If you have an excuse, make it a good one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links