Traffic Stops 101 - Page 9

Traffic Stops 101

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another thing...which Doc Hollidays post made me think of... How many of you buy used cars ? How many of you take the time to ...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops 101

Senior Moderator
    Another thing...which Doc Hollidays post made me think of...

How many of you buy used cars ? How many of you take the time to search every nook and cranny ?

If you haven't taken the time to do that, and you consent to a search, then YOU are responsible for every single thing in that vehicle, even if its a single marijuana seed.

We had a case here where a 55 year old women consented to a search. Under the back seat was an old rusted up .38 special that had been there for years. She had a heck of a time proving that she had never seen it and the Sheriff finally dropped it. A check of the numbers proved it had been stolen over 20 years ago...and the car was that old. Our Sheriff is a rare breed that actually uses common sense. I've seen some big city Sheriffs that spent more time being politicians than cops, and some of them have their own little agendas.
    She was lucky.

You might not be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

How many of you buy used cars ?
    Or use rental cars when out of state?
    My wife drives 2 or 3 cars a week as she goes around the country, I don't trust the rental company to find that packet of coke that was dropped in the upholstery by a previous renter and lost.

It's a dangerous world out there.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Just for curosity, maybe we should do a poll asking how many people on here would consent to a search during a routine traffic stop. I am going to set it up.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; March 12th, 2007 at 02:06 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Administrator
    Thanks for the kind words Hotguns. You bring up a good point about used cars, rentals etc. I have never had to deal with that yet... that would be a nightmare on both sides of the fence. I'll have to ponder that one for awhile.
    "Just blame Sixto"

thanks for the good info. A great thread...sticky worthy if you ask me. I love hearing the "thoughts" of a LEO.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had an LEO tell me once that if someone refused a search, he would advise them that he would get a canine on scene, which would take about an hour. That usually would lead to a consent. Sounds like intimidation to me.

Curious. On the cop shows, why do people consent to searches when they DO have illegal stuff? Are they that sure the LEO will miss it? Often it is out in the open!

As far as talking to LEOs outside your house, to do that you have to open the door. There is no law saying you have to pen your door to anybody. If it doesn't look like they are about to force entry, just let em keep knocking!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Curious. On the cop shows, why do people consent to searches when they DO have illegal stuff? Are they that sure the LEO will miss it? Often it is out in the open!
    Probably because they know they are done and the officer is going to keep them there until the canine unit comes anyway. Why not get the inevitable over with?

3- You donít need to find a "safe" place to pull over. That is my job; I turned on my lights when I did for a reason. I am willing to bet I know the area and traffic patterns a little better than you do.

I did get pulled over in California for speed on the freeway, and when I did pull over I did it in a way to minimise the danger to the the officer and myself. The officer I think did appreciate what I did and did let me off with a warning.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by grapeknutz View Post
    3- You donít need to find a "safe" place to pull over. That is my job; I turned on my lights when I did for a reason. I am willing to bet I know the area and traffic patterns a little better than you do.

I did get pulled over in California for speed on the freeway, and when I did pull over I did it in a way to minimise the danger to the the officer and myself. The officer I think did appreciate what I did and did let me off with a warning.
    As long as you stayed on the freeway, didn't wait for a mile and a half to stop, your OK in my book.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I had an LEO tell me once that if someone refused a search, he would advise them that he would get a canine on scene, which would take about an hour. That usually would lead to a consent. Sounds like intimidation to me.

As far as talking to LEOs outside your house, to do that you have to open the door. There is no law saying you have to pen your door to anybody. If it doesn't look like they are about to force entry, just let em keep knocking!
    Then that is no longer a consent search. Reasonable suspicion must exist to hold that person longer than a few minutes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    SIXTO nailed it. I've heard clients tell me the story about calling for the dog. As far as I'm concerned, get Fido on out here. I'll wait. In reality, I've only been stopped once in almost 30-years of driving so I'm pretty dull. But I'm always polite and professional, and expect the same from any LEO's I deal with.

Which brings up another point of interest for me...y'all notice that most criminals are crappy drivers?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    Which brings up another point of interest for me...y'all notice that most criminals are crappy drivers?
    Yes.

It goes along with the whole criminal lifestyle and mindset. The rules don't apply to them, and they are not going to be responsible enough to make sure their vehicle is maintained, insured and tags up to date.
    Its very easy for an LEO to pick up on this, and be able to pick out the turd in a crowd.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As long as you stayed on the freeway, didn't wait for a mile and a half to stop, your OK in my book.
    That I did my friend!

I've only read the first page, but I was getting flashbcks of being scolded/lectured by daddy LOL!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ms.k View Post
    I've only read the first page, but I was getting flashbcks of being scolded/lectured by daddy LOL!
    LOL, I was in a mood when I wrote the OG post. When you have the time, read the thread, there is some interesting conversation in it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Sponsored Links