Do you still carry when ill?

This is a discussion on Do you still carry when ill? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been sick the past few days, some sort of bug got me. It's got me thinking though, my body isn't the only thing incapacitated, ...

Thread: Do you still carry when ill?

I've been sick the past few days, some sort of bug got me.
    It's got me thinking though, my body isn't the only thing incapacitated, my heads stuck in first gear too.
    I'm usually acutely aware of my surroundings, I'm the guy with eyes in the back of my head. Right now I'm groggy and slow. And that's without even taking the medicine into consideration.
    We all know that firearms shouldn't be mixed with drugs or alcohol, ethically and legally that is wrong. But today I'm probably just as slow as if I had been drinking.

So, my question is this, if you're ill and have to go out do you still carry? It might seem trivial, but could a prosecutor use this against a GG?

I know, I'm thinking too much. It's just something I want to throw out there in case you hadn't considered it already.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If meds caution about driving , heavy equipment, ect.. i do not carry , other than that i do .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Does of course depend how rough we feel - biut certainly we all have a responsibility to make the decision not to carry at times if we feel impaired - same in a sense as if under influence of alcohol or med's etc.

Only we can make this decision unless out for the count! - and so it has to be an impartial judegment from an objective position - with honesty.

If I have a cough and cold and ''muzzy'' head but am otherwise sharp and in touch then I would not disarm. If however more as you describe, I felt sluggish, not very aware and actually impaired then very possibly I would not go out armed - if that is I had to venture out at all - probably not so likely.

We could however view one other angle - we are feeling bad but somehow a BG knows this and decides to invade home when you are vulnerable. Now we have a dilemma! This would have to be ''play it as you see it'' time - and hopefully still be sufficiently capable of defending oneself. The nightstand piece might well still have to come into play.

So yes - very possibly times we should consider not being armed if very unwell but as said - much will depend on honest objectivity in assessing oneself to reach the best conclusion.

Hope you soon feel better.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

There is a place for common sense and good judgment

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I've been sick the past few days, some sort of bug got me.
    It's got me thinking though, my body isn't the only thing incapacitated, my heads stuck in first gear too.
    I'm usually acutely aware of my surroundings, I'm the guy with eyes in the back of my head. Right now I'm groggy and slow. And that's without even taking the medicine into consideration.
    We all know that firearms shouldn't be mixed with drugs or alcohol, ethically and legally that is wrong. But today I'm probably just as slow as if I had been drinking.

So, my question is this, if you're ill and have to go out do you still carry? It might seem trivial, but could a prosecutor use this against a GG?

I know, I'm thinking too much. It's just something I want to throw out there in case you hadn't considered it already.
    I don't think it is proper to assume that all drugs (psychoactive or otherwise) necessarily make it wrong to carry. Neither is it appropriate to assume that because you feel slow from the crud of the week, that you could not act properly.

A person has to know themselves. They have to know how they are affected by things, and then use good judgment. Most of us are quite cautious and we know that many things can cloud judgment. We also know that in modest doses, some meds may enhance judgment by eliminating a tendancy toward having inappropriate fear. So, know yourself and do what is right.

I think a good rule of thumb is, when in doubt, don't.

In this case, you would not have raised the question if you felt well enough to carry. So don't.

I'm not carrying, I'm not going out. I'll go out when I feel well, and then it will be moot.
    But there is a whole lot of gray area here, a whole lot.

VIP Member
    It is a very big question - When you are least able to defend yourself, should you disarm yourself.

I went thru a very tough January (re-occurance of West Nile Virus), but never felt the need to disarm even though I was weak and not at the top of my game.

When on meds it is another matter, but even then almost all meds say don't drive, blah, blah, blah. Even my daily blood pressure meds got a double handful of warnings about not driving, operate heavy machinery and ad nausium and I was cleared by a flight surgeon to fly and carry passengers while taking those meds.

I am with P95. It really is a "play it as you see it" call.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I just had a thought, which is to say I knew it all along but in my cloudy headed state it presented itself as something blindingly original.

If I'm well enough to drive, I am well enough to carry. They are both instances where I am responsible for potentially harmful apparatus, and there are strict guidelines as to the use of intoxicants.

So there we have it, if I'm well enough to go to the range then I am well enough to carry.

As for HD, there is no way under the sun I would ever be too ill for that, I'm sure if I was in bed recovering from surgery I'd at least have a Kel-Tec hidden somewhere.

Typically, if I am taking a med for the first time (which isn't very often since it takes the wife several months of nagging to get me to a doctor for most anything), I will take them on a day when I am not going out, so as to not be at any more of a disadvantage than I already am, being sick.

Once I see how the drug effects me, then I will take appropriate actions.

As far as just being sick, I don't fell (in most cases) that I am not up to snuff for the task at hand.
    Last edited by purple88yj; February 17th, 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Punctuation is a good thing.

Yes. Think of this from a "disparity of force" viewpoint: in such situations, you're more at a disadvantage and, in a sense, more vulnerable and at risk of being seen as such. That's more reason to be armed.

During the few times I've required heavy meds (pneumonia, &c), I simply have avoided going out. Otherwise, am absolutely armed ... ill or not.

I know, I'm thinking too much.
    That thinking through scenarios is one thing that will help keep you alive. That's a good thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links