NC, Durham area, info reqeust

This is a discussion on NC, Durham area, info reqeust within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, not sure if I'm going to take it but I'm considering a job offer I just got in the Durham NC area. Never really ...

Well, not sure if I'm going to take it but I'm considering a job offer I just got in the Durham NC area. Never really been there myself. Wondering about the area in general, pluses and minuses. Any good ranges? Crime problems? I read the state laws on concealed carry but how is the sheriff on permit approvals, etc?

I don't remember if NC has a Castle doctrine in place?

Thanks for any info while I'm thinking this over.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I can say that NC does not have castle doctrine yet. I have heard rumour that it has been or will be proposed.

As for the Duraham area in particular, I can't give you any details. I live a little further west of there and avoid Raleigh like the plague (I hate cities and the traffic that goes with them).

VIP Member
    Our new web host, Tranquil Hosting, is in Cary, NC which is in the Raleigh/Durham area. So the area has one thing going for it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Well It's cool that I decided to check out the forums today. I grew up in Durham and now live about 15 mins away (but technically in another county). So I think I can give a good opinion.

Hmm...pluses...it doesn't ENTIRELY suck there. Oh, and it's a part of Research Triangle Park...Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Duke university is there...but the duke campus seems like it was airlifted there, which leads me to the minuses...

Most of what is considered Durham is fairly "ghetto." No one really "loves" living in Durham. No one looks back on their time in Durham and think "man, I'd love to move back to Durham." Of course, there ARE good parts of it to live, but those are few and getting fewer. If you must work in Durham, I suggest living just outside of it.

Don't get me wrong...you wont have to dodge bullets all day. Crime problems? Yes. I wouldn't suggest living in most parts of Durham. See the above comment about living outside of it. Ranges...hmm...good question. Raleigh has most of the good ones. The drive isn't too too bad. Raleigh, Cary, Clayton, Chapel Hill, etc are all better places to live and one can commute to Durham from there.

Im not sure of the castle doctrine. You can shoot an intruder if you catch him breaking in your house, but if you first see him already IN your house, you are back to square one and must only meet force with relative force.

Thanks folks! Still looking at the job but without going into details I'm still not to sure. It sounds like a "please clean up this mess" job but don't change anything deal. Can't clean up a mess without throwing out some garbage you know. So we'll see what happens!

Does sound like a good spot to commute to though....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Big Decision...

Good Luck El...

It does feel good to get the offer...and then be abel to decide...

Hope you get what you feel is BEST...

Stay armed....stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

El, I live down the road in Apex, NC outside of Raleigh. I don't go to Durham as much as I used to. The downtown area has had lots of renovation lately and is pretty nice. There are some bad areas of town, not unlike other places. I was born and raised in NC, so I might be a bit prejudiced. Anyway, good luck with your decision.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

No castle doctrine that I know of. At least not like you're used to in FL (I lived in FL up until last September). Still, pretty gun friendly state. NC is a shall issue state, so you shouldn't have a problem getting your CCW. Some of the rules are different here than in FL though.

The Triangle is a great place to live. While there are things I miss about FL, I have to admit, I like it here better. There's lots of growth, the weather is fairly mild, and there's plenty to do. Durham itself has some good areas, but also has some really sketchy areas. But you could always do like most of the people do and live in a bedroom community and commute.

PM or email me if you take the job and need some help finding housing or just have some specific questions. I'm a Realtor and would love to show someone houses AND be able to talk guns at the same time.

Links