Fight Crime Plate Has Some Parents Fuming

This is a discussion on Fight Crime Plate Has Some Parents Fuming within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw this else where and thought it was intersting.. I thought it was good of the school not to do anything in the begining but ...

Thread: Fight Crime Plate Has Some Parents Fuming

Fight Crime Plate Has Some Parents Fuming

Saw this else where and thought it was intersting.. I thought it was good of the school not to do anything in the begining but now there gonna force the lady to cover her plate...

Hope she sue's As in the article it says she has a good chance of winning if it goes to court

'Fight crime' plate on car at school has some parents fuming

By CHRISTINE PHELAN, Sun Staff

LOWELL -- An employee's car parked at Abraham Lincoln Elementary School lot has sparked fury among some parents ushering their children inside the school each morning.

The car -- a red, late-model Ford Mustang with a novelty plate on its front end reading "Fight crime, shoot first" -- irritated one parent so much that she complained to her son's pre-kindergarten teacher. The parent, who asked to remain anonymous, also took the issue up with school Principal Sandra Dunning earlier this week, as well as Superintendent of Schools Karla Brooks Baehr.

"Being a member of the staff, well, you have to be an example to the kids," the mother insisted. "You don't just do whatever."

"I can listen to parents and listen to their concerns," Dunning said. "But we do live in America. That's part of our democracy, free speech."

The parent, however, says the school's responsibility to provide positive role models to children supersedes the right to free speech, and that the offending license plate is a breech of the public trust placed in school employees.

"I don't think it's just a question of freedom of speech," the mother said, noting that while her son is still learning to read, the school's older students have full reading ability. "You don't leave it for the kids to see every day."

The First Amendment of the Constitution, which protects freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition and was added in 1791, stipulates that Congress shall not "(abridge) the freedom of speech."

According to Taylor Flynn, a Northeastern University professor and expert in Constitutional law, the school employee with the plate might actually find favor if the case found its way into court, particularly because, in her view, the evidence that students' education is being disrupted by the plate is on the lean side.

"However, I think there is a fairly strong possibility that a court would find that the staff person's First Amendment rights are being violated if the employee feels (directly or indirectly) coerced into covering the plate or is doing so over her objection."

Principal Dunning, who admitted she was "a little surprised" by the plate, initially echoed Flynn's concerns, saying that such a message might be considered inappropriate if it entered the building. But outside? Dunning said that's a different matter entirely.

"If anything disrupts the educational process, we do have the right to ask staff and teachers to maintain a code of conduct," she said. "What is parked in a lot or on a street is a different matter, however. Whatever happens in the buildingwe have control over."

"I think it's inappropriate," she said. "I think we all take responsibility to model appropriate language and behavior. Yes, they see all sorts of things on TV, in ads, that lots of people would find inappropriate as a model for a 5- or 6-year-old. But having (the license plate) there in the lot suggests we condone it."

The solution? Dunning and Baehr plan to mandate that the staff member somehow cover the plate upon arrival each morning, possibly with magnets and a cloth. The plate will be covered by the first day of school after February break, Feb. 28, Behr said.

"I expect cooperation on the part of the staff members to cover it up or obscure it in some way," Baehr said.

And when the staff member is not on school property -- and by that, Baehr means either in the building or in the parking lot -- "she's free to do as she pleases."

The parent who initially complained said she was happy with that solution, though put off that "going public" with the story was the route to compromise.

"I'm aggravated because they only did something when I said I was going to talk to The Sun," the mother said. "I feel that I had to go outside the school to solve a little problem, because this could have been solved within the school."

Christine Phelan's e-mail address is cphelan@lowellsun.com .

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    "I don't think it's just a question of freedom of speech," the mother said, noting that while her son is still learning to read, the school's older students have full reading ability. "You don't leave it for the kids to see every day."

The First Amendment of the Constitution, which protects freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition and was added in 1791, stipulates that Congress shall not "(abridge) the freedom of speech."
    The first paragraph is pure BS, the second says it all. Another case where these idiots try to use "the little children" to get their way. I'm getting sorta sick of it.... :firedevil
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    While it is legal, I can see how the plate can influence kids. I want to be the 1 to teach my kids about proper gun handling and attitude. I wouldn't want the plate on a teachers car at my kids school either. I feel the statement"shoot first " is improper , and makes gun owners appear too aggresive.

Red face

She should have moved! End of story!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    While it is legal, I can see how the plate can influence kids. I want to be the 1 to teach my kids about proper gun handling and attitude. I wouldn't want the plate on a teachers car at my kids school either. I feel the statement"shoot first " is improper , and makes gun owners appear too aggresive.
    But, in a shooting situation don't you want to be the one to "shoot first". I agree that it is sorta in your face but, constitutionally, I believe the plate owner is on solid ground. I bet we could all go down to the faculty parking area and find a plate on a teachers car that we don't particularly want to see but I don't really think I have a right to make that person remove it. At least that's my two coppers....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I work at a university and am well know to be conservitive...I have 3 game mounts (whitetail, turkey, pronghorn antelope) on my office wall, autographed pictures of my 2 presidents; "W"(and Laura) and Heston and a few "politically incorrect" bumper skickers on the old Bronco I drive to and from work. I am just waiting for the administration to say something.

If I were the plate owner, I would force a lawsuit, no compromise. If it had been a "Save the gay whales" bumper sticker, little crybaby would have hugged the thing....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Administrator

This Is Beside the Point

But my initial comment was already pretty well covered.
    I just know that when I was a kid....I sure had better & more fun things to do with my time than walking around any school parking lot & reading dumb car plates.
    As a kid...Even reading giant billboards was not one of my major influences or pastimes.
    Some people need to get a life for themselves & quit whining about every dumb little thing.
    I would hate to imagine what these same sheeple would do & exactly how they would react if a real & genuine threat to their kids ever presented itself. What IF there was nobody to "whine & moan" to?
    I think I already know & I remain totally unimpressed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Red face

I want to clarify that when I said she should have moved, I was referrring to the parent not the "plate owner".

Lead Moderator
    I guess its the plates message I don't like rather than the display of pro gun use. I don't want anyone to think we are a bunch of reckless folks out there just waiting to shoot someone. We are not,as many posts here will attribute.

I think the plate is just honest and neither amusing nor offensive. I agree with it.

But this is precisely why I avoid any politically charged stickers on my vehicle. I do have a nice Alumni sticker on there but that is IT.

The thing is, part of the responsibility of taking up arms is educating people about the truth, part of it is setting a good example, and part of it is swimming like a fish through water.

It's like seeing one of those guys who wears a large fanny pack and a Glock T shirt. That's a no no.

There is more political correctness here than in the NY Times.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Links