I Need Some Battlefield Experience

This is a discussion on I Need Some Battlefield Experience within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hobart man dies testing bulletproof vest Associated Press February 12, 2005 HOBART, Ind. -- A man whose friends initially said he was killed by gunfire ...

Thread: I Need Some Battlefield Experience

Administrator

I Need Some Battlefield Experience

Hobart man dies testing bulletproof vest

Associated Press
    February 12, 2005

HOBART, Ind. -- A man whose friends initially said he was killed by gunfire outside a Gary liquor store actually died after he donned what he thought was a bulletproof vest and asked a cohort to shoot him.

A friend then shot Daniel Wright with a .20-gauge shotgun, but it turned out the vest Wright had put on Thursday was a flak jacket not designed to stop a bullet.

Wright, 20, was mortally wounded in the shooting and died later at a Gary hospital after two of his friends drove him there.

Three Hobart men who are now charged in the Crown Point man's shooting death said they concocted the story that he was murdered by a stranger outside a Gary liquor store in a panic after the Wright unexpectedly died.

Hobart police Lt. Leo Finnerty said Friday that Wright was going to join the military and wanted some battlefield experience.

So he went to a field in Hobart with his friends, donned what he thought was a bulletproof vest, and then told them: "Shoot me. I'm ready."

"He voluntarily put on the vest because he wanted to experience what a .20-gauge shotgun would do," Finnerty told the Post-Tribune of Merrillville.

The Lake County coroner's office said the plastic cartridge fired from the shotgun's blast pierced Wright's chest and some shotgun pellets ripped into his heart.

Robert Lee Stottlemire, 20, of Hobart was charged with reckless homicide for allegedly shooting Wright in the chest from a distance of between 3 to 6 feet.

Two other Hobart men, Brock Bieker, 19, and Michael J. Searle, 18, are charged with assisting Stottlemire by concealing the homicide.

Bieker and Searle also are charged with giving Gary police false information, a misdemeanor.

Hobart police said that after Wright was mortally shot, Searle reloaded the shotgun and fired a round into the windshield of the car they were driving to make their story of the shooting outside the liquor store more believable.

But Gary Police Detective Thomas Decanter said the story started to fall apart as soon as he began questioning the pair at a Gary hospital.

Sixteen hours after the shooting, a fourth man who witnessed the shooting but ran off after Wright fell to the ground walked into the Hobart police station with his parents and told the actual story of the shooting.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

20g at 3-6 Feet???

With a bullet proof vest, or 5 bullet proof vests, plus a knight's suit of armor... this guy _intentionally_ takes a 20g round at 3 feet! Guy's asking to be measured for his casket. I can't imagine wanting to be at the business end of _any_ firearm.

It's spooky enough for me to watch guns and ammo TV when they're shooting past a camera!

I would expect that Larry and Moe are bound for prison, after shooting Curly.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Administrator

Full Force

This guy really took it full force because (read above) even the shotgun shell plastic penetrated his chest.

We now have so many Smilies that I actually had a tough time spotting Larry, Moe, & Curly.

Lead Moderator
    This guy is now in the running for the 2005 Darwin awards!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Be sorta glad that he never actually made it into the military.
    Want a guy like him covering your tail end?

Red face

Darn! I didn't know the Terrorists were using .20 gauge shotguns....silly me !

Sigh. At least it was in northern Indiana and not near my hometown. Can't help but feel sorry for the parents.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child might have peace."
    - Thomas Paine

Man think he got beat with the stupid stick one to many times

Lead Moderator
    must have seen 1 too many Second Chance videos.

Administrator

rocky

No more Second Chances to look at any more videos!

Links