Any other fly fishermen here?

This is a discussion on Any other fly fishermen here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been an avid fly fisherman for about fifteen years now but I've had to give it up the last few years due to health ...

Thread: Any other fly fishermen here?

Any other fly fishermen here?

I've been an avid fly fisherman for about fifteen years now but I've had to give it up the last few years due to health issues. After giving it some serious thought, I've decided to sell off my two best flyrods and reels but other than ebay I'm not sure where else to list them. Anyone know of a good Forum that has an area to sell gear? None of my relatives are anglers so I plan on selling the gear and "investing" the funds in my CCW equipment.

Thanks for any leads,
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

You could try a yard sale.
    Or a pawn shop, and be prepared-you will not get what
    you have in them.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - sad to give it up but seems to me a google search just might bring up some mega site devoted to fishing - and with a forum that could be useful perhaps.

Otherwise I reckon eBay could still work well.

I used to fly fish quite a bit but it's many years now since.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good idea on Google. Ebay prices aren't bad for what I've got but there's sellers fees and other grief to deal with. What I've got is by no means entry level gear so pawn shops and yard sales aren't a real option. I've got a nice Sage four piece saltwater rod I bought for a Florida vacation years ago, a custom built cane trout rod I spent close to $900 for and two nice reels.

I know I'll take a hit on the deal but it's just sitting in the closet gathering dust so I figure I can use the cash to pay off the Glock I've got in layaway and maybe put any extra toward a CX4 or even an evil black rifle.
    Jack

Tried craigslist? It's free to list and if you're near a big metro area (like I am in NoVA/close to DC) there's usually a lot of people that use/track items on craigslist.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Wow, sorry to hear you're giving up flyfishing. Myself I'm an avid bass fisherman, and have thousands invested in my gear. I plan to be burried with my fishin gear.

Gunbroker.com has a section called, I think, "Everything" else. I have seen fishing equipment there from time to time.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'm keeping my most used rod just in case. My saltwater rod never got used much anyway so I've just listed it on ebay, I'll list the reel later tonight. Might as well sell them and use the funds for a new carry weapon or two, right?

Had to think long and hard about selling off the gear but there's really no point in hanging onto it anymore. I'd get much more use out of a Glock (or two) than I would from a flyrod that just sits in my closet.
    Jack

You could try this site. It does not get a lot of hits this time of year, but it should start picking up soon.

http://www.mnflyfishing.com/Forums/t...4/Default.aspx
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

You might talk to your favorite sporting goods store - they may help you by selling it on consignment for a small fee.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Well, I finally got the rod listed lastnight. Once I finally got everything figured out I posted it for a 10 sale with a $250 buy it now price. I had an offer in less than five minutes and shipped it off this morning to a Steelhead fisherman in the San Francisco area. I'm going to wait a few days to list the reel, my wife talked me out of selling my cane rod and high end reel - God love her!

Ebay just got a lot more fun!
    Jack

I sold 2 Split Bamboo rods at a Garage sale for a total of $500 to increase my collection of Firearms. I still have fiberglass rods that I use more then I did the Bamboo. So I know where you are coming from. It is really hard to sell off equip, glad to see you did well on the one rod. You will thank your wife often about the other. Even if you can't fish, you can still hold it and daydream.

Distinguished Member
    I hate to say it, but on E-Bay anything fly fishing sells at a premium.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    I hate to say it, but on E-Bay anything fly fishing sells at a premium.
    Well, I wouldn't exactly say I got a premium. I bought that rod on a close out deal for $450 (marked down from $600 I believe) when the next generation was coming out. I used it for four or five days on vacation in Florida and maybe three times after that. When it sold for $250 shipped I basically lost 50% of my investment. That's pretty typical of the selling prices I'm seeing there - like new, top of the line gear is selling for fifty cents on the dollar. If I were in the market to buy I'd consider it a steal.

That's the biggest reason I decided to keep my custom built cane rod, I'm not willing to take that kind of hit on something I payed $900 for and had to wait three months to get.
    Jack

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't exactly say I got a premium. I bought that rod on a close out deal for $450 (marked down from $600 I believe) when the next generation was coming out. I used it for four or five days on vacation in Florida and maybe three times after that. When it sold for $250 shipped I basically lost 50% of my investment. That's pretty typical of the selling prices I'm seeing there - like new, top of the line gear is selling for fifty cents on the dollar. If I were in the market to buy I'd consider it a steal.

That's the biggest reason I decided to keep my custom built cane rod, I'm not willing to take that kind of hit on something I payed $900 for and had to wait three months to get.
    Jack

Kind of a cyclic thing. Last summer most items were going at more than retail for used. As you might well imagine, summer/late spring is the optimal time. I didn't have much luck with GunBroker (they do guns well, though).

I have noticed that no less than 3 fly fishing shops have closed in our area in the last year. Yuppies are off on their next whim. I finally can get cigars at a decent price, maybe fly fishing gear will go down too! (I also noticed old SxS are coming down in price too.)

Good luck
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links