Arachnophobes, do not click on this.

This is a discussion on Arachnophobes, do not click on this. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not a big fan of spiders , but don't mind em. Had lots of small wolf spiders in my old bedroom as we had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arachnophobes, do not click on this.

Lead Moderator
    I'm not a big fan of spiders , but don't mind em. Had lots of small wolf spiders in my old bedroom as we had wood for the wood stove. My GF hates em. Even the tiny , hardly visible spiders. So I get called in for removal.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I think I will stick with my old dog. Cool pictures, though
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Question ??

What do those hairy brutes cost on average?
    Are they hundreds of dollars?
    What is fair market value for a Tarantula?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Betty and The Tarantulas...hmmm I think I worked a gig with them back in the 70's !

Cool

I have always loved spiders. The largest here in MI are the wolf spiders which sometimes get about 3 inches long. I once had a black widow which took up residence in a shed and kept her stocked with stray insects until she had a huge brood of teeny tiny youngins. My favorites are the jumping spiders that hang
    around the house in the summer. They have such beautiful colors and like your spiders somewhat of a personality.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

VIP Member
    spacemanspiff,
    I haven't tried to keep a scorpion yet. I haven't had the heart to clean out Heinlein's old tank for a new resident.

Prospector,
    That's the Texas tan (A. anax). We don't have native tarantulas over here in TN. I watched some show a while back where some dumb tarantula keeper(s) let loose some t's in an orange grove in (IIRC) Florida, and now there's a colony thriving there. Irresponsible tarantula keepers really don't make the rest of us look good - people are phobic as it is.

QKShooter,
    Price really depends on the breed, size of spider and gender. My crazy orange one cost $20. The Goliath cost around $100. For a 3/4" spiderling of a beautiful metallic blue P. metallica, it's $235. The G. rosea is the most basic "beginner's" tarantula, and that one will run you around $15.

I also used to have a wolf spider. He was a really cool little guy who would hunt crickets down amazingly well. If I see them in the house, I leave them alone, along with other harmless spiders. Brown recluses get stomped on repeatedly.

I was bitten by (I believe) a brown recluse once once. My whole side felt like a cross between a whack of a baseball bat and a branding iron. I spasmed on and off for weeks.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

show 'em the pics of you handling the OBT (orange bitey thing), betty.

unless you dont wish to ruin the facade of your sanity. [grin]

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    spacemanspiff,

Prospector,
    Irresponsible tarantula keepers really don't make the rest of us look good - people are phobic as it is.
    Thanks Betty....the irresponsible part applies as well to many other "pet" owners....I've got a big ole softspot for animals....don't anybody else get me wrong now....I don't hunt, but I do respect the right for those that love that sport, and more power to em. What I hate are people that get a "pet" as a faddish thing to do, then when they get tired of em ....they dump em. That boils my blood beyond description.

Thanks again for the pics....really cool, although I'll let them stay in their natural habitat !!

"Fire" Tarantula

Betty,

I owned (was kept) by a "Fire" Tarantula named "Sweetheart" for 7 years. She really was a sweetheart (gentle disposition) and I was terribly sad when she finally passed. I hope you have a long and rewarding relationship with all your babies! We love arachnids and champion them every chance we get!

Vampireglider

PS: Now, my wife and I are "owned" by SugarGliders!!!

Betty, the photos are great and full of color. If you took the photo's - excellent and profession job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links